My cat does not meow, has almost no voice?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat is very much the same. She opens like she is meowing but only gets a quiet squeak out at best. It could be linked to abandonment, I adopted mine young from a shelter. =^-^=
Two of my cats--Asia and Princess--squeak instead of meowing. It is most definately  not due to abandonment, not in their case. They were born in this house and their mother nursed them for longer than normal.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother's cat Olivia is 11 now and I just recently heard her meow for the first time.  She chirps some; but mostly she is very quiet.  I actually looked around like "who was that!?" because I've never heard her before!  They've had her since she was about 5-6 months old and she was with my Aunt before that.  She was born to a friend of my Aunt's cat; so we know her history.  It's just who she is!  

melindas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for a cat to just up and lose its voice.? I have a 2 year old cat that is very healthy she just lost her voice one day a few months ago.

buttersyrup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also have a black kitten who won't talk.  He is almost 5 months old.  I have been around cats all my life and have never known a cat not to meow.  He has made a mew, mew sound when he had a toy in his mouth.  But that was a long time ago.  Even when he looks at birds, he will open his mouth, but no sound come out.  It seems very strange to me.

morrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a five month old kitten he has started talking a lot more but somtimes they just have to find there vioce somtimes he still just opens his mouth and nothing comes out I would not worry to much I have had cats the meow like twice a week. It just depends on the cat

millierex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first cat came for a similar situation to yours, very young. Never meowed or made a noise because he hadn't learnt. When he got older he made baby squeaks and my other cat tried to teach him. It's nothing to worry about, mine first made a noise when he was 10 but only a couple of times. I found that he was more communicative that the other who did make noises, nothing to worry about :rbheart:

wwwdew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is almost 16. He has been mister personality since he was a kitten. No one a stranger. Talking (meowing) all the time. He grew up with his mother & two other kittens from his litter. All three were very active over the 15+ years. 2 months ago his 15 year old sister failed & we had to put her down. Then last month his brother also died, leaving mister personality "Rocky" all by himself. The days following, Rocky kept talking more than ever. We knew he missed his family. My wife & I decided Rocky needed a pal so we got  new 8 week old male kitten. The first couple of days the two of them began warming up to each other & now they sleep & play all of the time.

This brings me to my question about Rocky. Now he does not make a noise. He'll open his mouth as if he's meowing but no sound comes out. This has been going on for 1-2 weeks now. What has happened to Rock? Is he jealous?

Please help me with Rocky.

Thx.

Susan & David

Clearwater, FL

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @wwwdew  Welcome to The Cat Site.

If this is a sudden change, if Rocky was vocal for the first 15 years of his life and then suddenly stopped meowing, I'd ask the vet to check him over. He could have a problem with his throat.

Good luck, I hope it isn't anything serious. 

meganrose2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten was about half a month old when my dad found him looking for food, he still had blue eyes and meowed a lot then until I picked him up. Normally strays here are very against peoples affection but he came from the strays and seemed to have a mindset of just looking for a mommy, from the first time I picked him up, I knew he was mine. I fed him and gave him a great life. He knows who momma is and comes back "home" every night and day. He never ever meows. Sometimes when he jumps he'll throw a little mew or when I go to feed him he'll make a little meow. He fully purrs. He has always been a biter and people tell me he'll grow out of both, (not meowing, biting) and I see progression in biting but meowing, not so much, and he's about 5 -6 months old. He also lives around a very loud 15 year old female cat.

Marlenead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't necessarily expect a cat to meow much unless the particular breed is talkative. I also am of the belief that if a cat's needs are met and the human companion is responsive to a cat's needs, not much meowing is necessary. However, my Noah was meowing non-stop and in a distressed manner when he was on the street as a young kitten the first night that I heard him. Of the whole neighborhood, he came to my door a few days later meowing his heart out wanting to be fed. We know that cat's choose us. I took him in and I am taking care of him. It was love at first sight. Now, he never meows at all. He chirps and trills when he wants something or greeting me when I first come home. It melts my heart. He's not very big on purring either but he does have his moments when he does lie on me and purrs and I live for that. I, too, wonder why he doesn't meow, now, and just wonder if my theory on not meowing when all needs are met, has merit.

Marlenead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jaden has a very quiet voice as well. She can meow and does, in the mornings when she wants her "meow mix." Some times, she'll open her mouth as if she's meowing but no sound comes out. The rest of the time she makes these little chirp sounds, which we call twitters. It's very cute actually. I think different cats just make different noises, which their owners adapt to. There really isn't a set "cat" language.
I have been told that when they open their mouth as if to purr, but nothing comes out, that is called the polite meow.