My Cat Died Of Panleukopenia

Nora.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was 11 months old and he had the 4- way vaccination and the rabies.and the two vets never mentioned anything about a booster dose!
My cat was spayed 2 weeks ago and after 5 days of the spaying operation he started getting sick+throwing up+not eating or drinking. i went to the multiple vets multiple times and they described some medicines
and yesterday he had diarrhea (it was red)
So today i took him to the vet he said he that has Panleukopenia. and they can't save him and now he's dead. i seriously can't take it.
The vet said i should've given him the 4-way and 3-way and 2-way vaccination along with the boosters! is that true?
it just doesn't make any sense i can't stop crying. i'm afraid of getting a new cat because of what happened.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is one of the best articles for laymen I could find,

Feline Panleukopenia Virus in Cats (Feline Distemper) | petMD
and according to them, a single vaccination is what is recommended, as the vaccine is incredibly effective. However, there is an order to vaccines, and boosters, so the last vet was generally correct.

This article will explain everything for you very simply, up to and including how to clean your home, and when it will be safe to bring home a new kitten.

My heart goes out to you. I know yours is broken. I do want to tell you that the chances of this having anything to do directly with the surgery are slim to none, and you absolutely did the right thing by neutering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nora.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

Right now i’m planning on getting a new *vaccinated*cat about the age two months or three months.

My vet said i can bring a new cat after 21 days if i clean my house continuesly.

Today i got rid of the toys, litterbox... everything that belonged to my old cat.
And i cleaned the entire house with clorox and dettol and tide. I will keep repeating this method every other day. Will it be good? will the new cat be safe?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be afraid to get a new cat once you feel it's time to do so, and you feel the house has been cleaned well.
I am so so sorry this happened. It's a horrible shock. No one deserves that. :alright:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Rescue works better than bleach at disinfecting against Panleuk on porous surfaces. You can purchase this from Amazon (as well as other retailers).

This has a *very* indepth look at sanitizing as well as other precautions post-Panleuk. (Written as speaking in a shelter environment, but the info is still valid.)

Resources – Koret Shelter Medicine Program

It takes about 2 weeks after the vaccine is given for it to reach its full protection potential. I would advise getting a kitten over 12 weeks that has received at least 2 boosters. We are unsure when exactly kittens lose immunity from mom and when the vaccines take full effect, so getting a 12-16 week old kitten would be my recommendation. Your vet may have better advice, so definitely consult with them.

nadyacocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was 11 months old and he had the 4- way vaccination and the rabies.and the two vets never mentioned anything about a booster dose!
My cat was spayed 2 weeks ago and after 5 days of the spaying operation he started getting sick+throwing up+not eating or drinking. i went to the multiple vets multiple times and they described some medicines
and yesterday he had diarrhea (it was red)
So today i took him to the vet he said he that has Panleukopenia. and they can't save him and now he's dead. i seriously can't take it.
The vet said i should've given him the 4-way and 3-way and 2-way vaccination along with the boosters! is that true?
it just doesn't make any sense i can't stop crying. i'm afraid of getting a new cat because of what happened.

Hi, thank you for sharing your story here. Im terribly sorry for your loss. Just 5 days ago, i lost my beloved Cocco. A beautiful male young cat, he was supposed to turn 1 on 14/9/2019. But he died on his birthday, due to Panleukopenia too. My story is quite similar to yours, surprisingly. He was 11 months++, he had vaccinations but vet never said anything about the booster. He was neutered a week before he passed away. Post surgery, he didnt eat much or play much. But we didnt even realize he was sick until a week after the surgery, because the vet said he was okay during the post surgery checkup. Im terribly upset & struggling to come to terms with this devastating news..

However, i still have 2 other cats at home & i did my best to clean their room with clorox. Can u help to share any important tips u have on how to clean the house & protect my other 2 cats? And what helped you to cope with the loss of your beloved pet, if i may ask? Thank you so, very much!

Nadya

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise