My cat chews on everything?

captainkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if he's teething or something. He doesn't seem to realize he does it. He'll rub up against something, and next thing you know he's starting to chew on it. He's bitten a few of my pencils to bits when I let him sniff them, but I'd rather my pencils than my bedpost like he's been doing. I know he's not hungry because he's always  eating, and he's actually gained some weight because he scarfs down three cans of Fancy Feast a day with some dry food when I go to work (Not ideal I know, but he needs to have something while I'm gone for 8-10 hours at a time.)... I'm just worried that it may be something else.What do you lot think?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how old is he?

as long as he doesn't actually eat anything weird, I wouldn't worry too much. The Rogue had a time when he would bite into anything. He still likes to bite into cardboard boxes, twigs, leather shoes (the more expensive the better).

Could it be he's just bored?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captainkittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a year old. I guess maybe he's bored, but he's always playing with things; especially things he shouldn't, like my papers... Or pouncing on me while I try to sleep. Lol.

erikaremmington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha I believe most cats enjoy doing things like that. I believe everything is probably fine. My cat used to jump on my back while sleeping and nibble my ears to wake me up every morning. :)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1) if he's a year old, he's not teething.

2) if he's biting into everything and always eating, and wants food all the time, please take him to the vet. two things that could be possible, a condition known as PICA, where the cat uncontrollably chews on everything and anything. this can be dangerous because he could be chewing on electrical wires, but you just haven't caught him doing it yet. or, he could have thyroid condition and would need to be on meds and a special diet

3) keep your kitty busy. please play with him. try to give him a 15-30 mins play session with an interactive cat toy at least twice a day. you need to tire him out. maybe he has too much energy and he is bored, and that's how he is expressing his boredom, by biting and chewing on stuff.

4) i would scale back is feedings to 2 times a day, every 12 hours. i do that for my cats, and they're perfectly fine. they both get a total of 6 oz. wet food a day (split to 3 oz meals at a time). sometimes i sprinkle dry food on top for them both. they are not starving. while i am gone at work (i also have 8-10 hour days) i don't leave kibble for them to graze on, just leave out fresh water and they are good.