My cat chews EVERYTHING.

bratcat99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need help!! My cat chews EVERYTHING. From wires to towels and even clothes! I don't know what to do with her anymore. She has chewed my ipod touch cord twice! And they are expensive. She is a really good cat but I'm just wondering if this is normal. I've read that its because they are bored but I don't know what it is. If anyone had any suggestions please let me know! Thanks

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat did a little chewing. I bought some "lamb pizzles" from Hare Today - dehydrated lamb penis to be specific.  Its like a rawhide chew for dogs but sized smaller.  When Dexter would chew on something, I would distract him with it by kind of poking him gently in the mouth with it, as if to say "here, chew on THIS".  He preferred to chew on it when it was a joint effort: me holding it while he chewed on it.  After a while, he did begin to prefer the lamb pizzle, and our "chew sessions" seemed to satisfy him to the point other chewing decreased a bit.  Not gone completely, but definitely less.

YMMV and all that.  You might look for a similar product in the stores, but this is the only place I have found this specific product.

https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=284

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good suggestion from aprilprey. Another idea is to spray bitter apple on the things you don't want her to chew although you may need a lot of it from what you say. Hopefully she will grow out of most if not all of it. Chewing on power cords can definitely be dangerous, so I would do whatever I could to discourage that. There are things you can put over the cords to protect her (and them).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bratcat99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you guys! I will definitely give it a try!

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat?  Like Vball91 said, she could outgrow it.  Dexter was one year when I adopted him...in the several months I have had him, the chewing has diminished.  I'll never know, really, if it was the lamb pizzles or not.  But he sure loves it when I hold one end and he chews the other.  You can really feel the jaw strength when you do that!

bratcat99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bonnie is 1 now.. We got her last year in August I believe.. I really hope she grows out of this. She has chewed towels and are the material. It's not good for her. I hope this ends soon. I will try the lamb puzzles though! Thanks.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may outgrow it.  Dexter has really mellowed in the half a year I've had him. Good luck and I hope it all works out. 

bratcat99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully she does outgrow it! I will for sure try those lamb pizzles! Thanks again for your help!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a seven year old cat that loves chewing adapter/charger cords, I feel your pain at the expense! Nintendo cords, Apple cords, even the adapter cord to my home phone. She even chewed my daughters hair straightener cord (luckily is wasn't plugged in!!) And yes, daughter was reprimanded (I had a friend fix it-twice!)and no longer has straightener.

The only thing I can say is we don't leave that stuff around without watching it, or it goes in the bathroom with the door shut.  I don't know if Twinkle has grown out of it, or we are more vigilant about not giving her the opportunity.

I tried the bitter apple spray one year on the Christmas tree.....didn't necessarily work and that stuff bothered me, I felt like I was going to have an asthma attack and I don't have asthma.

On a side note: whoever thought of taking the
 penis off of a lamb, dehydrating it  and selling it................?!?

bratcat99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that sucks :/. Hopefully Bonnie outgrows it but it's starting to bug me. I don't want her to get sick either because she is starting to eat material, I don't think it's very good for her. Haha and yeah who would of thought of that! Lol!

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a useful thread for me haha...my cat likes chewing anything with zips on them...laundry bags, bags I use for work, my jeans and trousers...I guess it's a texture thing...little weirdo...

So does bitter apply spray smell? I don't want to smell at work haha.

Can you give a cat any kind of chewable dog treat? I don't know if I can get those ones here...

Last edited:

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat has chewed the rubber tips off pretty much every single doorstop in this house. He also likes to chew on rubber bands and the plastic safety rings off the tops of mayonnaise jars. I still don't think he's as bad as another cat I had years ago. She used to chew paper and spit it out whenever she wanted attention. It's kind of hard to ignore a cat who's chewing up your electric bill, and let's just say that she must've needed a lot of attention because my entire filing box was full of holed-up bills missing corners.