My Cat Can't Take Flagyl

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet prescribed flagyl for my cat's diarrhea but she can't take it. She gets like a zombie for 12 hrs and won't move or eat or drink. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lethargy is a side effect in some cats. Metronidazole for Dogs and Cats | petMD | petMD I would call the vet and discuss the lethargy and if there is another medicine you can use.

What is the Flagyl for? Did the vet give you the pills or the liquid? Both taste nasty to cats although a Pill Pocket can usually mask the taste of pills.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:
I agree, discontinue it and call the vet first thing in the morning. They may be able to prescribe something else that will help.
(Over the past several decades we've had some animals that had bad reactions to your every day medications, flagyl was one, panacur was another, strongid paste was one, a few vaccines thrown in there and some of the flea-tick-heartworm medicine. Heck, one time I myself took a new multi vitamin and was sick as a dog for 24 hours, so if a reaction happens, stop giving it and talk to your vet!)
:wave3: