My cat can't refrain from sleeping on top of things.

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a rule in our home. The cats can put their little butts wherever we put ours. So they know they're not supposed to be on the table, counters, desks, etc. They've been pretty good about it for the past two years. Then all of a sudden, when we build two nice computer desks and I set my computer up on top, Nym starts sleeping on it. It wouldn't be such a big deal if she wasn't the most awkward cat I've ever seen. I love her to death, and she has a great personality, but she has no common sense or coordination of any kind. All cats land on their feet, right? This one doesn't. Anyway, it would be annoying, but her getting up on my desk and other things wouldn't be so frustrating if she wasn't constantly knocking things over.

We came home one time to see everything had fallen off of my desk except for the monitor and computer itself. The poster above had been partially knocked down and the modem was in between the wall and desk. This makes me nervous. I have a very nice computer, and I'm sort of a gamer. I'd be very upset if it fell and anything broke. So we started locking our cats and all of their things in the back half of the apartment. I hate to do it, but it keeps her from destroying my computer and any more of my wine bottles.

But now she has an obsession with sleeping on top of everything, including my mini filing cabinet, which tends to have papers I haven't filed yet. They end up all over my floor. And my husband and I have a habit of putting the lid down on the toilet. She sleeps there, which would be fine...but one morning, I was half asleep and really had to go, so I pushed her off. Her response when she couldn't figure out how to get her feet back under her was to reach out with her claws. She sliced my hand up pretty bad, and I spent most of my work day with bandaids all over my fingers.

We're working on building the cats a little cat tower, but we have to wait until we have the house in a year, because our apartment is too small for one right now. Maybe this will help?

Anyway, some of these are simple fixes, like keeping the toilet lid up and not letting her in the living room/kitchen unless we're here to watch her, but she just finds other things to climb on. She NEVER sleeps on top of the things that are there for her to sleep on...like the couch, chest with the fluffy dog pillow on top or our bed. My main concern is that she might break more of our things or something very valuable, or she may even hurt herself, as hard as that is to believe. (Seriously, no coordination. I honestly didn't think a klutzy cat existed until I found her.) I'd love to know if anyone has any idea how to keep her off of certain things. We currently just gently push her off and say no very loudly. She knows she's done something, because she cowers when we start to approach her, but the genius doesn't even try to correct her mistake. I'm not really sure why she has started randomly doing this after two years of good behavior, but I'd like to fix it.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So you built a new desk and you want your cat to stay off? Is that the question? Cats like new stuff. They like to sniff it and put their scent all over it. It's like right up there with eating and napping. Also, most of them love climbing and want to be as high as they can. You can't fault them for giving in to these impulses; it's their very nature. The cat tree will help fulfill this need without question. Can't get a cat tree? Set up a ladder in corner or something.

The only way I can think of to stop it is close the door to the room with the desk. Or just keep saying no and putting her somewhere else (this eventually works after the 100th-1000th time).

Don't leave stuff out that you really don't want broken.

Put your papers in folder or drawer. I'm surprised your cat only like to knock papers to the floor; mine like to rip off pieces and eat them.

Do you just have the one cat (Nym?)? Are you really sure she's making all the trouble? You might be surprised as to what they're up to when you're not around.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 She knows she's done something, because she cowers when we start to approach her, but the genius doesn't even try to correct her mistake.

Also, your cat does not know she did something (wrong/annoying). I really don't think a cat ever thinks it is doing something right or wrong and its is not going to consider your feelings when engaging in a behavior. I don't think cats know the difference between right and wrong and they will never understand your reaction to your stuff being out of place.

She simply sees you coming and is possibly preparing herself for you to push her off, thus the cowering. Actually, I think most cats most of the time will cower when you come at them with your hands out.

I seriously doubt that there is any connection being made her mind between her BEING on the desk and your annoyance/anger.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, that is just a cat for you.  They love couches, chairs, desk, you bed, basically any furniture around.  They don't know they are doing anything wrong.  And having such "rules" isn't fair to a cat.  Do you have any cat furniture?  You say you are working on a tower... Not good enough.  If this is truly a problem for you... Go on ebay or Craigslist and find some cheap kitty furniture... They have condos, trees, climbers, just about anything you can think of for a cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not be condescending or rude because you do not agree with how I run my home. I do not respond to such comments.

It started with the desk, but now it is everything. I can't just put away everything breakable. My computer, wine bottles, dishes, papers I haven't gone through yet, and DvDs next to the tv don't really have anywhere to go. And Chris and I both work full schedules, so we can't watch her constantly. I may just have to keep the cats in the bedroom until we move into a bigger home. Both cats have been so well behaved til now that I hate to do that, but I'm not sure I have a choice

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you feel anyone is being condescending or rude.  It certainly is not my intention and I don't think anyone else was either.  They were just telling you matter of factly that climbing and sitting on furniture is what cats do.  And if it's not acceptable for you, you need to have an alternative.  You asked for help.  That's what we tried to do.  Help you with your problem.  Nobody said anything about how your run your household being wrong. 

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious, what exactly did you find condescending and rude?

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat is being a cat. If you think that assessment is condescending and rude, well, you are in the wrong place. Many of the posters here are extremely knowledgable about feline behavior and have years and years experience with them. Personally, I've had cats all my life, have experienced tons of different personalities and can say, I've yet to figure out how to keep a cat off something when they are determined to be there. And that's one of the reasons I love my cats, their independence and how true to their nature they are. 

My DH is a gamer, he has a huge PC, 3-monitor setup, gaming keyboard mouse and some other thingy which I have no idea exactly what it is. He created a desk setup that limits the cats' ability to do the things he doesn't want them to do. For instance, he doesn't want them on top of his PC so there is a bed right next to it as its the heat the kitties are seeking out. The monitors are set up on a single stand which is elevated about 6 inches off the desk and under a set of over the desk shelves so the kitties can't get behind or walk over the monitors. Everything on his desk was designed to minimize feline interruption while he works and games. We even added two extensions to the desk so that we could fit 2 cat beds on it to keep them away from the general work area. Ikea desk systems are awesome. 

As to the filing cabinet papers being knocked everywhere, put a folder at the front of the drawer and put your 'to be filed' papers in there. 

You just have to think outside the box and stop trying to make the cat conform to your every rule and think of ways to minimize your frustration because the cat won't be as easily trained. 

If you want to spend the time, effort and energy to train the cat as you would a dog (it is much more challenging) it can be done, you just have to dedicate the time to it. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aeevr  

Or just keep saying no and putting her somewhere else (this eventually works after the 100th-1000th time).

Most of the time cats are looking for attention, so they will continue to do something if you constantly respond to them doing it, such as saying no and putting them somewhere else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not that it matters, because it appears I will be fixing my own problem somehow, but...

"Sweetie"

"not good enough"

Extremely condescending and rude.

But anyway, thanks for trying. We finally fit the cat tower thingy in the apartment, but my incredibly uncoordinated cat has already hurt her foot and bruised her ego, when she tried to jump down from the top tier straight to the floor. She landed flat on her belly, with her back leg bent awkwardly underneath her. I would have face palmed, but I was too busy freaking out. Now she's limping around, but I'm not sure how much of it is a ploy for attention since her daddy tends to love on her even more when she's hurt. But she loves it at least...now hopefully she can figure out how to get down without hurting herself. Of course, this is the kitten that caught her own ear on fire when she discovered she could get on the counter that my candle was on. This cat seriously makes me nervous...

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that it matters, because it appears I will be fixing my own problem somehow, but...

"Sweetie"

"not good enough"

Extremely condescending and rude.

But anyway, thanks for trying. We finally fit the cat tower thingy in the apartment, but my incredibly uncoordinated cat has already hurt her foot and bruised her ego, when she tried to jump down from the top tier straight to the floor. She landed flat on her belly, with her back leg bent awkwardly underneath her. I would have face palmed, but I was too busy freaking out. Now she's limping around, but I'm not sure how much of it is a ploy for attention since her daddy tends to love on her even more when she's hurt. But she loves it at least...now hopefully she can figure out how to get down without hurting herself. Of course, this is the kitten that caught her own ear on fire when she discovered she could get on the counter that my candle was on. This cat seriously makes me nervous...
Well, I am sorry I offended you.  FYI, I call everyone that.  It isn't meant to be condescending.  "Not good enough" is the truth... If you don't know how an animal behaves and what it requires, you shouldn't have one until you do.  That is my opinion.  Not meant to be rude.  I am just very straightforward and I don't believe in sugar coating or telling people what they want to hear.  I never mean to hurt anyone though.  So, if I did, I apologize.

In my defense, Too often people get an animal on impulse without really knowing anything about them.  Then they get upset because they believe things they do are problems.  I have a lot of friends that do the same thing and too often, they have their animals euthanized and then go out again and get another, only to have the same issues come up. Not saying that's what you were doing, either.  But, you do need something for the cat to lounge on that doesn't offend or upset you and your rules.  It's not fair to not have that already. 

If you believe her to be hurt, she needs vet attention.  It could mess her up if she doesn't get it checked out and there is damage. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just wanted to add that cats don't make "ploys for attention".  You're giving it too much credit if you think it can think the situation through that far.

If the cat is still limping, please bring her into the vet to have her foot looked at.  

Also, maybe her ears.  It occurs to me she may have a balance problem that could be caused by several inner ear issues.

Last edited:

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To the OP - You should be happy that you received ANY replies (with very good advice) after writing an entire essay about how important your computer is, and how lame your cat is.  Perhaps you'll consider me to be condecending, also.  In that case, just stop reading!  If not, I can tell you that cats need and love to be in high places.  They are not dogs, who mostly just sleep on the floor.  Cats need to exploit all three dimensions of a space, and if you don't provide that, then they will exploit whatever they can.  If you continue to just lock them away instead of trying to solve the problem (by asking people on this forum!), then I suspect your cats will begin to develop problems a lot worse than knocking things off your computer table - like peeing on you computer table!  I would hope, for the sake of your cat(s), that you enjoy thier company as much as you enjoy typing!  No need to reply - I acknowledge the condecension.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you kind of play with the cat's injured paw, touch it and lightly squeeze it? If she squeals in pain, then she has a serious injury and should be taken to a vet. Chances are she sprained it.

Is your cat a kitten? You seemed to imply she's over 2 yrs old, so I'm not sure. Kittens are clumsy. I don't think a normal, healthy cat would take a jump if it wasn't confident it could land safely especially if there we intermediate steps available like on a typical cat tree. It makes me wonder as well if your cat has an underlying medical condition as suggested by sivyaleah.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that our cats can be really ******** irritating. Solutions to cat related problems (actually any relationship problems) require lots of effort and/or readjustment of expectations. The consensus amongst respondents is that it would be much easier on the the OP if she 1) compromises by doing something to fulfill the cats need to climb (get cat tree) and move stuff that she doesn't want broken elsewhere 2) lowers her expectations on how she expects the cat to behave (the cat can't suppress instinct to climb and investigate all the stuff in their place).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For your original problem, pretty much the only thing I've found that helps is to be consistent with removing your kitty from where you don't want him/her and placing her in a more appropriate place.  We don't allow our kitties on the counters, tables, or desks either and if you're consistent with removing them and telling them "NO!"  your kitty will soon get the clue that they are not in a desirable place. 

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For your original problem, pretty much the only thing I've found that helps is to be consistent with removing your kitty from where you don't want him/her and placing her in a more appropriate place.  We don't allow our kitties on the counters, tables, or desks either and if you're consistent with removing them and telling them "NO!"  your kitty will soon get the clue that they are not in a desirable place. 
...and I would add: reward the kitty when it does what you want it to. When you see her using the tower, give her a treat. When she sleeps in places you like, treat.

I'm a big fan of corporal cuddling, (I hope I don't get flamed for admitting this). The technique is defined here:

I'll summarize: Pick up, hug and squeeze cat until cat gets annoyed (not angry or you might get a face full of claw.).