My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty :( my old cat used to do that as well. So far calvini seems alright though! If it gets worse at least I can have asthma in mind on the way to the vet!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should you have issues with slow...traffic...again, a small amount of olive oil will work as well, but stick with the pumpkin while it's doing the job!  I keep a large bottle of extra-virgin on hand for Hekitty AND me!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Should you have issues with slow...traffic...again, a small amount of olive oil will work as well, but stick with the pumpkin while it's doing the job!  I keep a large bottle of extra-virgin on hand for Hekitty AND me!
Olive oil hmm? I'll have to keep that in mind for Kabby who picks the pumpkin out of his tuna and spits it on the floor.

I assume it can be syringed directly into their Mouth?

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

No x-rays needed just her symptoms were enough for the vet.  She has a lot of her attacks at night, and when she does she gets low while expanding her shoulders.  She is trying to get as much air in her lungs as she can.  The vet does not want to put her on meds because the side effects are worse than the severity of her asthma.  And there are only 2 cats in the world that have been able to be trained to use an inhaler!  FYI
  Good luck!  I hope that my girl 'Hope' doesn't get any worse!
My Honeybee is a puffing pro. She uses the Aerokat and Flovent. She is a good girl. The hardest thing to get them used to is the mask on their muzzle. I left it on the floor in her play area for a week and several times a day took the mask and ran it around her neck and body. She got used to me touching her with it-then I put it to the side of her face and each time she sniffed it I gave her a treat. Then when I got it on her face for 1 second I gave her a treat. She quickly learned that if she lets mom put the mask on her face she gets nomnoms. We have been puffing away since March 2013. 4 years!!! It is possible. I buy flovent on kiwidrugs dot com. Ships from new Zealand. FAST too!

The attacks at night are classic asthma symptoms. you can get a script for albuterol to pick up asap at the drug store and use that at night when she has an asthma attack=you can use a toilet paper roll on her muzzle and spritz it in there if you don't have the aerokat. the albuterol opens airways but doesn't take down swelling. but for now=it will give her relief.

when we started honeybee on flovent we did a puff of albuterol first. wait 10 min. then flovent for the first week. this enabled the airways to open larger and get the steroids in deeper. We only use the albuterol once a month if that now. Be warned=they HATE the smell of albuterol. Hold on to kitty and they only need 2 or 3 breathes of this vs flovent needs 8 to 10 breathes.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

and yes olive oil helps with that-you can add a few drops to wet food or see if he will lick it off your spoon or syringe it.
And remember, a little can go a LONG way!  I'd start with 1/4 tsp and see how that does first.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome! I'll have to try that next time...

So far he seems to be back on the regular with the help of pumpkin! I also have him on fortiflora - the kitty probiotic. I hope that's not too much! Lol.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys!! One more annoying question... How many times a day is normal for kitty sneezes?

Calvin seems to be sneezing 1-2 times a day - this is mainly after he explores underneath the bed... Which :/ is quite dusty.

Just wondering if I should be concerned!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really?! I wonder if this could explain his coughs and gulping too. 

He loves to go under the bed and patrol underneath it... And yep - he loves to PLAY with the dust underneath the fridge!!!! I don't even know HOW he finds it :/ He also hides UNDERNEATH my cupboards. He is asking for trouble!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes it's possible. My Honeybee gets into places she shouldn't get into and sometimes does a petite little sneeze but then we rarely hear her sneeze. My other cat often gets the sneezes at times but it's usually due to dust as well :/

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll bet it's the dust.  It makes ALL of us sneeze, to some degree or another, if only because it TICKLES!  By the way, the Italians believe that a cat sneezing brings good luck to all who hear it!  I JUST looked that up for our "Lucky Cat" give away that's going on over in the General Forums.  

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...I love sneezing, too, but mostly because it is easier than scratching the itch deep in my nasal passages with a garden rake!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love sneezing too!!!! Lol. Maybe we have a very lucky cat on our hands ;)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty sneezes daily.  I hope the old myth is true!  I'm due for some good luck!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is sneezing about 2-3 times a day. Sometimes he doesn't even sneeze at all.. But other days he does seem to sneeze a bit more. He sneezes WHILE grooming himself! i'm a little concerned because he doesn't usually sneeze while cleaning himself :/ But it has gotten pretty chilly here over the past few days and I wonder if turning on the vents and having the heater on kind of stuffed the place up with dust.

Who knows! I'm trying to calm myself down again - LOL. 

He already went to the vet - the vet said he was completely fine... The only thing is he had a slightly raised fever and heartrate which the vet said was because he was terrified (Which he was!) The vet even said that his symptoms could just be lingering from an old respiratory infection.

calm down weezercat!! calm down!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep.  Sounds as if the extra dust is the culprit, and if it isn't constant, and his eyes stay clear and bright, just relax.  Now, IF his eyes get gooey and nasty, take him back in.  Otherwise...well...we all get itchy noses and sneeze!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok! He does get eye boogers every couple days. But nothing runny or gooey. Just dark crusty stuff I wipe away for him!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then you are fine, and so is he!  The way you watch him, you will know if it is getting worse, and can take him in.  So far, so good.  Hekitty had a sneezing fit this morning after deciding to delve into the depths of a storage closet.  She came out covered in cobwebs and sneezing to beat the band!  MUST clean that closet out!