My Cat Bites Me Constantly

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is going to be long.

My cat is going on 10 years old. He's male and has been fixed. We literally got him off the street; he had been separated from his mother and his eyes were crusted shut with dirt. No health problems, according to the vets. He's a tuxedo cat.

In the past year or so, he has gotten very aggressive towards me. I am technically his owner and I think his favorite, but lately I seem to just be his favorite punching bag.

He has very sharp claws. He does NOT react well to attempts to trim them - he can escape even the tightest "burrito", and he wriggles so much that I don't dare try to trim his claws in that state anyway. A vet can manage it, but last time he had to see one, he shat himself out of fear, and he SCREAMS whenever he's inside the carrier. It was so awful I cried after.

So he has very sharp claws, but worse than that, he's a biter. He has the super sharp claws, but he prefers to use his teeth.

He used to bite us all occasionally. If you felt his breath on your arm, it was best to move it, because he'd give you a nip. This was annoying as he was the one going out of his way to stick his face into our arm, back etc. only to bite it, but not unbearable. He never broke the skin.

Lately though, he's decided I am his favorite prey. I know not to act like it - if I see he's stalking my legs I freeze and I make sure to be looking at him so he can't sneak up on me as he would like to. This displeases him. Often, he'll walk up to me and meow angrily at me for it, and then try to attack me anyway. Sometimes he'll insist on me not looking directly at him - he'll do the rubbing against my legs thing but once he gets around to the back of my calf, if I don't turn around quickly enough, he'll bite me - but sometimes he will do it while I am looking at him, too. If I don't notice him stalking me, he'll usually launch himself at my legs from behind and I tend to get scratched but sometimes bitten as well. I've never encouraged him to play with hands or legs/feet. I am the only person in the household he does this to. He draws blood nearly every single time.

I've tried playing with him but no toy holds his interest. He'll bat some things around sometimes, but mostly he actually runs away from his toys. I never poked him in the face with them etc. to cause this. He would play with them when I first got them, but then he'd get bored and never play with them again, at least not more than a couple of seconds (and when he does, he's not too energetic - you don't tire him out doing this). This is true of his wand toys, laser pointer, and the usual balls and things, including fuzzy mice. He likes catnip, but he eats it and it makes him more aggressive.

I can tell that sometimes he's just bored, but I'm tired out trying to find a way to get him to play consistently. He just stops and starts and I swear those attempts at play make him more frustrated and in turn more aggressive. The play aggression is upsetting and I wish he wouldn't do it, but it's not the worst of his behavior.

He just genuinely attacks me. Bear in mind that every time he scratches or bites me, he runs off, which makes me think he's fully aware that this is not a good thing and that doing this isn't going to result in me playing with him or even wanting anything to do with him for a few minutes.

Lately every time I sit on the couch, he "yells" at me and then launches himself at me. I have something like 5 scars just around the wrist area of each arm right now from his recent attacks. When he bites he also drags his teeth, so I end up with bleeding AND bruises.

I thought it might be territorial but he does this whether I sit in "his" favorite spot (where my mom usually sits - he never bothers her over it) or the end of the couch (it's L shaped and there's plenty of room, and he does it even when I set somewhere he never does). Confusingly, he clearly is actually trying to get me to sit down sometimes. He'll purr, and do the slow blink at me and generally indicate that he wants affection. Once he forced his way onto my lap, purring, and then launched his attack. It's not overstimulation - I know his preference is to have his face scratched a little and then for me to act like a human couch and just let him sit/sleep without moving.

He also used to frequently and without warning bite my upper arm and run. The only reason he doesnt do this so much now is because I switched from sitting on (different) couch and using a table to work to sitting at a much smaller desk. He can't sneak up behind me at all. That said, he has actually took a running jump onto the desk, bit me, and ran off before.

This was all really bad, but I knew I couldn't give him up. He's old, he doesn't like strangers, not that I know anybody looking for a pet cat anyway, and the one shelter we have in my area will put down cats that are not adoptable. My options are either to keep him or to put him down, and I wasn't going to do the latter.

But recently he's been attacking my head and face, so you see my problem. I don't want to end up like that poor lady who had her face nearly completely mauled by her dog and needed a transplant. I don't know what to do. It really hurts my feelings when he does this to me, and I don't know why he's doing it, but everyone in the family has noticed that I'm the target of this; he rarely bites anyone else (although, when he does, it's usually my mother, who is his second favorite. My brother, who he doesn't see much and generally avoids, is never bitten).

Something has to change. He's attacking me in my bed, even while I sleep. I'm at my wits end here. I really, really, really don't want to have him put down and I don't know that I could handle doing that, but I can't go on like this. I've tried those pheromones to calm him down and they do nothing. He has outlets for scratching and places to climb so he's not lacking in that department. We keep the blinds shut always, so he's not being taunted by any animals outside.

He attacked my (completely unmoving under the covers) arm twice last week, and one of those times he also went for the face I usually sleep with my arm bent so the forearm is below my face if that makes sense). Today he attacked my face - only my face, he wasn't aiming elsewhere. End result was two puncture marks and some bleeding. His attacks on my head/face/upper body seem to be increasing in frequency.

Why is this happening? What can I do? I love him but I'm really starting to resent him for doing this to me. I don't cringe or show fear but when he comes near me I wonder if he's going to attack.

(Let me know if you need further information.)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds like such a difficult and painful situation! You've clearly tried a lot of things and are being very patient. I know you said that he doesn't do well at the vet, but has he had a checkup recently? If he's in pain, it might make him more aggressive. Is there anything in the last year that's changed and could be stressing him out? And is there any way that there could be the scent of another cat on you? I hope that this gets resolved both for your sake and your cat's!

mainecoonaddict

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi RhenClearwater, first of all, that sounds really bad. I had some issues with one of my Maine Coons a couple years back where it was starting to get aggressive too.

Regarding the biting and clawing - one thing I was told was to say "ow" or indicate pain, without screaming. You have to make it looks like you're not playing or your tuxedo will probably continue that.

Trimming nails is gonna be tough, no ifs ands or buts. I don't think I've ever had a cat that I didn't have a heck of a time trying to get their nails trimmed with! But here's my recommendation - I took this out of B.F. Skinner's handbook. You need to first off start by trying to get your cat comfortable, and you need to reward the cat every time you trim, or attempt to trim.

Eventually, they'll get better about it, but it's going to be a struggle. It's all about creating an environment, something so they feel more comfortable about it. Take the nail clippers and just have them near your cat, just touch their nails with the trimmer, and give them a treat. Like I said, a process, but it will be a good bonding experience.

One thing I realized with my cats is that they didn't have enough to do. So I bought some scratching pads and some other fun toys for them to play with. I did some research online and it said to buy toys that look like their prey, and then use the toys to have them take out some of their aggression that way.

Hope you're able to resolve the situation!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would agree with the yelling ow or a sharp yip sound when he bites. Some sort of immediate reaction that startles him enough to realize it isn't a good thing. With kittens I have always done a sharp ow and immediate withdraw of any attention. Then a 15 count and back to playing. Repeating as needed until they equate the sound and loss of play with the bite or scratch. As adults all my cats know better and it usually just takes a quick reminder of the same when they decide to try it. But you situation sounds more like a medical issue.

That it has been getting progressively worse despite attempts to play makes me think it isn't a boredom reaction but something either is hurting him and he is trying to lash out at the phantom pain source or a psychological thing. If you can all your vet and see about maybe a mild sedative before to calm him down some or a home visit. But I really think some xrays and a full blood panel are in order. Thyroid or arthritis would be my first two guesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds like such a difficult and painful situation! You've clearly tried a lot of things and are being very patient. I know you said that he doesn't do well at the vet, but has he had a checkup recently? If he's in pain, it might make him more aggressive. Is there anything in the last year that's changed and could be stressing him out? And is there any way that there could be the scent of another cat on you? I hope that this gets resolved both for your sake and your cat's!
No other cat. No other animals. Barely even other humans besides my family; I'm basically housebound and if I'm not home, my father usually is. He's not left alone (although he doesn't really mind when he is, he just sleeps until we return). No changes recently.

He's always been a very nervous cat. We'd be walking along and sometimes he'd just bolt if we were heading towards him. I chalked it up to some childhood trauma. That's why I thought just being patient with him would do it but his behavior has gotten worse, not better. He has been to a vet after the behavior started but tbh I'm not sure how much faith I have in our local vets. Unfortunately they're the only vets; there are very few vet's offices in this area.

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi RhenClearwater, first of all, that sounds really bad. I had some issues with one of my Maine Coons a couple years back where it was starting to get aggressive too.

Regarding the biting and clawing - one thing I was told was to say "ow" or indicate pain, without screaming. You have to make it looks like you're not playing or your tuxedo will probably continue that.

Trimming nails is gonna be tough, no ifs ands or buts. I don't think I've ever had a cat that I didn't have a heck of a time trying to get their nails trimmed with! But here's my recommendation - I took this out of B.F. Skinner's handbook. You need to first off start by trying to get your cat comfortable, and you need to reward the cat every time you trim, or attempt to trim.

Eventually, they'll get better about it, but it's going to be a struggle. It's all about creating an environment, something so they feel more comfortable about it. Take the nail clippers and just have them near your cat, just touch their nails with the trimmer, and give them a treat. Like I said, a process, but it will be a good bonding experience.

One thing I realized with my cats is that they didn't have enough to do. So I bought some scratching pads and some other fun toys for them to play with. I did some research online and it said to buy toys that look like their prey, and then use the toys to have them take out some of their aggression that way.

Hope you're able to resolve the situation!
I do react to him biting me, although as he tends to run off instantly I'm not sure he's hearing me every time. I don't think he thinks it isn't painful, because he also does it to get his way (e.g. he wants us to move our hand out the way so he can sit in that spot or something).

I have tried those suggestions before, but he looks suspiciously at anything that goes anywhere near his nails. As for rewards, he doesn't seem to understand the concept. He's not into cat treats so the only thing I have to reward him with is tuna (for cats not humans), and last time I tried it just to persuade him to let me groom him a little, he just kept frantically trying to get at it, and when I took the opportunity to try and wipe off some of the loose hair on him with a cloth he stopped trying to get at the food for a moment to try and bite my hand.

I don't understand him at all. Quite often he'll jump up on my desk (not a behavior I encourage; I work here) and purr and meow and demand scratches and headbutt me affectionately, and then he'll sit. Just sit. He tries to bite me if I type, he doesn't want to be petted anymore, and swishes his tail angrily even though I'm literally doing nothing at all. He doesn't want me to pet him but he also doesn't want me to move, including leaving the desk (if I do, he follows me and tells me off). It's very confusing.

I will try again with rewarding him for accepting a nail trimmer near his paws first, I guess. I have nothing to lose.
I've been thinking about getting some of those Jackson Galaxy toys but they're not sold here and they aren't the cheapest. Guess I'd better start saving.

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would agree with the yelling ow or a sharp yip sound when he bites. Some sort of immediate reaction that startles him enough to realize it isn't a good thing. With kittens I have always done a sharp ow and immediate withdraw of any attention. Then a 15 count and back to playing. Repeating as needed until they equate the sound and loss of play with the bite or scratch. As adults all my cats know better and it usually just takes a quick reminder of the same when they decide to try it. But you situation sounds more like a medical issue.

That it has been getting progressively worse despite attempts to play makes me think it isn't a boredom reaction but something either is hurting him and he is trying to lash out at the phantom pain source or a psychological thing. If you can all your vet and see about maybe a mild sedative before to calm him down some or a home visit. But I really think some xrays and a full blood panel are in order. Thyroid or arthritis would be my first two guesses.
I have wondered about all that but it seems on his end very calculated as I'm the one singled out. He doesn't lash out at anyone else. Vets and vet visits here don't really work the same way they would in the Western world. There are no appointments, the vet has no idea who I am, and I don't entirely trust any of the vets I have access to (very few). I can't get a sedative or a home visit (not that the latter would work; he'd just hide and you can't persuade him to come out).

I'm going to try and get some money together and ask about tests and how much I'll need, because I too have wondered if he's ill or something in a way that we wouldn't catch in a normal checkup. But it doesn't explain why it's only me and why he "yells" at me like he's angry (to be clear, it's not like yell and then attack the next second. He might spend a few minutes coming back to yell at me) before attacking sometimes.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That must be unbearable for you. I would definitely have blood and urine panels run, and if he's "all clear" then ask about some of the psychological drugs to calm him down. I am not a fan of using psychological drugs on cats and refused to give them to one of my cats who was diagnosed with neurological problems...but that cat was not aggressively attacking me either.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the blood and urine panels. This is starting to sound more and more medical-based, especially since he's almost 10 years old. As kieka suggested, you want to specifically ask for tests for thyroid if it's not included in the panel. An X-ray wouldn't hurt either to check for arthritis, but you may be able to tell if it's severe if your cat is being more hesitant about jumping up to high places or landing stiffly/awkwardly from jumps. Though I would still get it checked out, since cats can hide their pain very well.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start by locking him out of the bedroom when you sleep. If you are angry and stressed by lack of sleep, he may sense it and behave even worse. I wonder if its a dominance issue as he doesnt seem to attack others.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow ... I would check to make sure he isn't hurting and really watch how/where you touch him. He sounds like he is kinda feral since after ?10? years you can't clip his claws. Maybe he needs some kitty xanex? I can advice 3 things 1) when you feel his breath on your arm gently push him off wherever he is before he bites. Why give him space for bad behavior? 2) if OOOOOOOOW OOOOOOOOW OOOOOOOOOW doesn't work maybe start carrying around a penny can and shake it at the slightest claw or tooth? 3) play with him more and try redirecting him with a feather wand or a long suede cord? You try redirecting his aggression. I trained my cats has kittens not to bite or use my hands as toys. With both kittens when they bit I shoved my finger/hand where they were biting down their throat a little/in their mouths a little bit... not to hurt them just to make it uncomfortable. I played with them often & did the OWOW thing then ignored them for 15 minutes if they went to far. 1 cat still can't be trusted to play gently and gets all his toys on ribbon or wand (yes the ribbon is securely tied to his toys so he can't eat it and is replaced when it starts to look worn) I'm not sure if those would work because your cat is way more aggressive and not a kitten. Maybe look into how to tame a feral & make sure he is not hurting?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also it was a rule in the house toys not people, so everyone knew not to encourage that. Is anyone in your home encouraging rough housing with their hands/arms?

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't seem to have trouble with jumping (except that he's kinda klutzy and always has been - sometimes he misses xD). In fact, I wish he'd jump less. Quite often he'll jump on my desk then jump over to the futon, even though he could just go straight to the futon.

I can't lock him out when I sleep, unfortunately. This is an apartment and I live with family, so all his things are in my room. His food and water (opposite corners), and his litter box by the bathroom. In fact, sometimes I have to close him in my room, because when he's allowed to wander he decides to start howling in the middle of the night by the door, which I can tell you doesn't make my family or the landlord happy. He doesn't love it but he mostly settles down for the night once he knows it's going to be a thing, but if something happens to ruin the routine of keeping him in my room at night, I have to start over. I had to sleep in the living room for a few months so he got used to being allowed to wander and I haven't restarted the routine this time. My parents sleep with their room door open so he sometimes goes over there.

The biting when I sleep/try to sleep is recent but it happens in the morning. I wake up to take meds and to use the bathroom often, and it's generally when I try and settle back down. He happily curls up with me most of the time, but sometimes he gets pissy and decides to bite. It's pathetic how jumpy I am now. I was so sure he was gonna bite me again today but he only curled up against me and started purring (he did bite my mother, though).

I found some of the toy mice he likes yesterday and he near destroyed one already, but I would prefer for him to run more and when it comes to play he's kinda lazy and just likes to bite/kick something while lying down rather than chase. I've tried to get him to blow off steam with play, believe me.

I do move when I know he's putting his face next to a body part and is gonna bite, but I also wonder if it's a good idea to teach him that biting equals getting his way. He seems particularly offended by the fact that I have arms, and when he curls up next to me if I'm sitting he not only makes me move my arm, he goes out of his way to try and bite it. That is, I'll instantly move my arm up to the back of the couch or something, and he might get up and try and get at it anyway.

I have tried the moving towards him thing, he just bites harder!

My family don't listen to me enough when it comes to the cat - they feed him from their plates which is something I never did or do and as a result he has rarely ever begged me for food. I've told them time and again not to do it, but my father in particular undermines me a lot. We keep cat grass for him to eat, but I close it away when I see he's gone back for it repeatedly (he coughs up hairballs with no problem so I think he just likes the taste). My father insists that it's wrong because he believes a cat would never do anything dangerous or harmful to itself - including try to eat onions. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't accept my cat's behavior when he's acting out. At that point he'll decide the cat's behavior is not acceptable ;)

That's why I really hate leaving my cat alone with my father for long periods of time, but no, I don't remember any of them encouraging that type of play. He actually used to have a companion and although she wasn't too into play he palled around with her all the time, so that wasn't an issue as a kitten. He's only been stalking me in the last year.

Do you really think he's feral? He's a real scaredy cat, terrified of going outside (he's an indoor cat but we never worry about leaving the door open when we carry stuff out etc. He got out once and instantly regretted it, and he never even made it out the building!). I know I make it sound all doom and gloom but he's a real baby, he loves affection and will press the side of his face into my fingers to get the right pressure when I scratch him. I wonder now if I was too permissive with him and rather than helping him ended up just spoiling him :/

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said you got him off the street and he had been separated from his mother. How old was he then and was he with any siblings? He may not have learned bite inhibition if he was separated from the mother and littermates too young. On the other hand, if he is 10 years old now and the problem just started a year ago that probably isn't the problem here.

I would have the vet check him for medical issues.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have a private place (s) he can escape to?

Does he have any high perches he can survey the world from?

I saw an episode of my cat from hell, and the cat was attacking everyone who entered the apt.

It was a small apt and was also being used as a photo studio. Once the cat was given its own space the problem was solved.

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was young enough to need some help with bowel movements, but old enough that I only had to use a washcloth to stimulate a couple of times before he could go on his own. Young enough to need formula, old enough to switch to real food soon after.

My brother said he found him near a gutter meowing loudly. He said he did see some other baby tuxedos in the area but that he wasn't "with" them. The fact that his eyes were so covered in dirt he couldn't open them suggests abandonment to me; a mommy cat would have kept him cleaner.

RE: Bite inhibition, oddly enough his companion also was separated early, and I think she passed on some of her dysfunctional play habits onto him. His aggression is recent, but he usually bites down hard.

Yeah, he has places he can hide. He prefers under the dining table (which we rarely use), but he can also go under my parents' bed or sometimes he'll hide under a blanket (this one tends to happen after a vet visit). He has a cat tree and if he's on it, we all know to steer clear. He sometimes likes to play with his own tail when he's on there, and if you pass too near he'll take a swipe at you. This I think is playful rather than territorial or any other kind of aggression.

He doesn't attack everyone who comes in at all. He actually runs away from them. The apartment is not tiny, it's just full (four people). Two strangers were here today (not at the same time), and one of them was in my room (I told her to keep an appropriate distance from the cat). He was a little tense, but he let me pet him and closed his eyes. Once she left he actually followed her to the living room to take a peek before running back in. He also snuck out to take a peek at the second visitor, but ran when she spoke to him. He's a weird cat xD

Edit: I'm looking into how much his tests etc. will cost me. I have exactly two options in terms of vets and I'll have to see which one is more affordable.

RhenClearwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Called some vets and was told one of them never does any testing, which is very odd as they advertise their lab on their site. What is it for if not blood tests etc.? The second place does at least test for thyroid issues but the receptionist doesn't know anything about the possibility of medication for psychological issues, and I have a feeling that that means it's not a treatment option.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Called some vets and was told one of them never does any testing, which is very odd as they advertise their lab on their site. What is it for if not blood tests etc.?
Maybe their "lab" consists of a microscope to check pet feces for worms. :crackup: No. I don't know, but that's pretty disappointing to hear.

The second place does at least test for thyroid issues but the receptionist doesn't know anything about the possibility of medication for psychological issues, and I have a feeling that that means it's not a treatment option.
I think you just want a blood-chemistry panel and maybe a urine test to start off with. A thyroid-hormone panel is run separately.

Sounds like the vets in your area don't do much, then again, sometimes receptionists pop off answers off the top of their head without actually giving you the right (or a complete) answer. If the second place you called does thyroid testing, they probably also do other lab tests.