My Cat Bites and Scratches

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a stray who we've named Tony the Tiger. He's about a year old. We brought him into the house a few weeks ago, and are keeping him as an indoor cat. We took him to the vet last week, and it was sort of a nightmare. He acted very calm in the exam room, but when they brought him to the back for blood tests and such I just heard screeching. Then the vet rushed in and asked if they could sedate him. Yikes. That said, he was given his vaccines, examined, and neutered all in that appointment so it was still generally positive. He has a clean bill of health, no parasites or disease. We have three cats including him. Cocoa is a neutered male, they mostly stare meanly at each other, but sometimes Cocoa does try to fight Tony. And a 14 year old girl cat who basically wants nothing to do with either of them. We originally had Tony's safe room be my bedroom, and he seems comfortable with that as his territory where he feels safe.

I guess the the issues I'm having are with trying to handle him and with his scratching. He only tolerates a short amount of petting before he snaps his head toward my hand in a threatening way (but he usually doesn't do anything but warn). He hates being picked up and handled. Sometimes when I'm just standing or walking, he will grab onto my arms and especially legs with him claws. He doesn't break skin when he bites (it's hard enough to hurt though), and the vet cut his nails so at the moment he isn't painfully scratching us (but before that he was leaving scratches). It's obviously behavior that we need to nip in the bud. He's very energetic and motivated by play; he LOVES fishing rod type toys. I try to play with him for a couple/few 15-20 minute sessions each day, and I can easily get him to jump and run around the house. Playing with him works well to lessen his aggressive behavior, so I think a lot of it might be him trying to initiate play. He's affectionate and sociable in some ways, I don't think he's completely wild or distrustful of us. He sleeps on my bed with me, and sometimes snuggles with my feet. I woke up one day to him sleeping right in front on my face. He lays near me while I'm working on stuff. He follows me around and likes to climb up and look at what I'm doing. He rolls over and shows me his belly. He likes short bursts of petting on his head and cheeks, and he gets super excited when I play with him.

What we've been trying so far is whenever he bites or scratches, we say "no" and completely ignore him for a bit. If he seems really wired I'll leave and shut the door where he can't get to me for like 20 minutes. I try to anticipate his high-energy points and play with him before he starts jumping out at us and biting/scratching. If he bites or scratches me when we're playing (which has only happened once), I immediately stop and walk away. We're all petting him for short times throughout the day when he's being calm to try to get him more use to being pet. It seems to be helping with his behavior, there are fewer scratching and biting incidents than when we first got him. But there are at least a couple grabbing and biting incidents on most days. All of the other cats I've had have been little people-pleasing lap cats, so having a cat who has trouble being handled and pet is a new experience for me. I could use any tips.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and thank you for taking in sweet Tony! 

A few things that come to mind reading your post (and I'm sure others will chime in with more) - 

1. Tony was an intact male up until a week ago. That means his hormone levels are still high up there. It takes 2-3 weeks for hormone levels to decrease after neutering. 

2. Tony may very well be semi-feral. He may have become habituated enough to people to be fed, and possibly occasionally held, but it does sound like he's not fully used to being petted and handled. 

3. Right now, he's under a lot of stress. A LOT. You're doing a wonderful thing for him, and in the long-run he will be safer and happier with you in your home, but right now, he's a semi-feral, still hormone-filled, male cat that probably craves the outdoors and has a physical need to go out and patrol his territory. It's not something you should allow him to do, of course, but it does create stress. The good news is that some of that stress is likely to gradually go away on his own, as his hormone levels go down and he adjusts to life indoors.

I do have some tips for you in our articles. I hope these may help -

[article="33261"]The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside​[/article]  

[article="30316"]Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats​[/article]  

There are links in these articles to follow for even more tips. I really think you're doing a wonderful thing and if you work with Tony with a lot of patience, things will drastically improve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That is a very good point, he is still a hormone-fueled, stressed out little dude right now. Maybe he will calm down some when the testosterone dries up and he gets more acclimated to life inside with people. He's already doing better than when we first brought him in.

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What we've been trying so far is whenever he bites or scratches, we say "no" and completely ignore him for a bit.
Great job! I did this with my boy Bugsy and it helped tremendously. Just stay consistent and firm with it and he won't do it as his level of excitement dies down. 

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my outdoor strays that I'm caring for was like that,  it took over a year before she enjoyed being touched and handled, and even today she's only allows so much contact time but the whole time I had to wait on her to cozy to me in her on time,   When it comes to tony,  he like's to play and he feels like he has a safe area,  your doing the best you can on your part,  just keep him feed, healthy, and I would bet that he WILL come around to you some day just give him time,  let's remember, he lived on his own for a year,  this is quite a change for him too !!