My cat bit me :"(

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

1) My cat just bit me :(

I was cutting his nails, and he was not happy of course, and gave me a bite when I reached the last toe. (I was careful, he was not njured when I cut his nails, he was sitting my lab purring) 

I washed it and used Betadine.

Thanks God it is not deep to the point that blood was drawn out, but bite site looks red. Actually it looks like a scratch, because I moved my hand when he bid me, and it slides, so I got that vertical line that looks like a scratch.

It is midnight now where I live, so don't tell me to go to the doctor. And doctors here give antibiotic like candy, and I don't want to see a doctor unless it is necessary.

What signs should I watch for to see the a doctor?

And if worrying symptoms are to show, how many hours does it take to show usually?

My cat is not vaccinated against rabies yet. Should I worry????

(well maybe his previous owners did vaccinate him, but no way to know for sure)

Do cats with rabies show symptoms? Since I adopted him, he has been an  indoor cat only.

2) My cat was the sweetest cat ever. He was stray and I adopted him, he definitely he was a cat house and then he gets stray or abandoned

He went a lot. Had flu and diarrhoea, was admitted to hospital and a buster collar was put on him, then came his first vaccination, micro chipping, neueting suregery.

he started to bite after being microchipped. he used to bite the brush and tries to bite my hand when I groom him but all were superficial bites.

He used to enjoy grooming before that.

Also, he now tries to bite me when he plays. Or when I walk, he tries to grab my food with his hands and bite it. I know that he is just playing. But when I groom him, he seems to be aggressive, nit just playing because of the way he moves his tail.

Not sure how to stop this behaviour.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you let the wound bleed a while to make sure it was 'washed out', and you followed with a peroxide product, or similar disinfectant, you should be okay.

Your kitty was hurt somehow during the microchipping process.  I have never had that done to any of my cats, so I do not know what it entails.  I can see from your post that your cat remembers that incident, and associates any attempt by you to handle any part of his body in any way other than petting, is triggering that memory.

There are supposed 'calming products' on the market, but I cannot vouch for any of them.  In fact, I never heard of them before joining this forum family.  You may want to check this thread for suggestions on how to stop biting--although the subject is giving 'love bites' to his owner, and that wasn't understood.

Now, is there really any reason you should be cutting the cat's toenails in the first place?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does it seem he bites when you brush a certain area of his body?  My 2 were microchipped as small kittens so I don't recall it causing them any prolonged discomfort.  I would think if that were the case the pain would be located only near the microchip site.  It may be worth speaking to the vet about.  It may just be a coincidence that the dislike for grooming came at the time he was microchipped.  I don't think we can know for certain.  I would just try to help him associate the brush with positive things (treats, play sessions).  Start slow if you have to and work up to full brushings over a period of time. 

Do be sure to keep that bite clean.  Cat bites can become infected easily.  This may be a situation where it's ok to go for the precautionary antibiotic.  Bleeding for a bit helps push the bacteria out; but since you didn't bleed at all I'm not sure.  This thread may have some relevant information for you: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270989/cat-bite  Good luck!!

Now, is there really any reason you should be cutting the cat's toenails in the first place?
It's very common to trim a cat's claws.  Especially a cat that is indoor only since they may not wear down their claws as easily as cats who are outdoors climbing trees and what not.  You are simply trimming the tip a bit so it's not quite as sharp.  (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If you let the wound bleed a while to make sure it was 'washed out', and you followed with a peroxide product, or similar disinfectant, you should be okay.

Your kitty was hurt somehow during the microchipping process.  I have never had that done to any of my cats, so I do not know what it entails.  I can see from your post that your cat remembers that incident, and associates any attempt by you to handle any part of his body in any way other than petting, is triggering that memory.

There are supposed 'calming products' on the market, but I cannot vouch for any of them.  In fact, I never heard of them before joining this forum family.  You may want to check this thread for suggestions on how to stop biting--although the subject is giving 'love bites' to his owner, and that wasn't understood.

Does it seem he bites when you brush a certain area of his body?  My 2 were microchipped as small kittens so I don't recall it causing them any prolonged discomfort.  I would think if that were the case the pain would be located only near the microchip site.  It may be worth speaking to the vet about.  It may just be a coincidence that the dislike for grooming came at the time he was microchipped.  I don't think we can know for certain.  I would just try to help him associate the brush with positive things (treats, play sessions).  Start slow if you have to and work up to full brushings over a period of time. 

Do be sure to keep that bite clean.  Cat bites can become infected easily.  This may be a situation where it's ok to go for the precautionary antibiotic.  Bleeding for a bit helps push the bacteria out; but since you didn't bleed at all I'm not sure.  This thread may have some relevant information for you: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270989/cat-bite  Good luck!!

It's very common to trim a cat's claws.  Especially a cat that is indoor only since they may not wear down their claws as easily as cats who are outdoors climbing trees and what not.  You are simply trimming the tip a bit so it's not quite as sharp.  (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws)
Thank you for your inputs. I read what you wrote last night, but could not reply then.

It was a relief to have some answer my questions. Thank you again.

The cat is almost fine with combing his head and neck and ruff. When I proceed to back and other areas, he turns and tries to scratch and bite.

I think I need to work or regaining his trust.

The wound is sonehow better. I'm keeping an  ye on it and praying that all goes well.

Regards,