My cat attacks the other in the cat box

catmom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I read a number of earlier posts about litter box problems, but still have a question.

So does each cat consider his litter box his personal territory?  And another cat using it an invader?

My Siamese mix doesn't care if the other cat uses the box (I have one very large box for both of them, and i clean it 2 -3 times a day), but the Highland Lynx will go crouch in front of the pan as soon as she hears the other cat pawing in it.  Then she attacks the Siamese when she exits the litter box.  Sometimes she'll start pawing at her while she's still trying to do her business in the box.  My Siamese is recovering from Pneumonia and I don't want her stressed out.

Has anyone had success with breaking cats of the 'attack the litter-box invader' habit?  Any suggetions?

Thanks in advance!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It would probably be best to add at least one other litter box in another location before your Siamese mix starts avoiding the box out of fear of being attacked. If you're currently using a covered box, you could try removing the cover so that she can see where the other cat is and have more of a chance of escaping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, jcat.  It's a big open box, so she can see her escape route clearly.

I'll have to see about a 2nd box.  I've never had this problem before with any of my cats, just with the Highland Lynx breed, so it's an adjustment.