My cat attacks only me!

brittanytate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male 3 year old house cat (never outside) who seems to occasionally become aggressive toward me.  It used to always happen when I was on my laptop or reading a book, he would come up to me and do a low growl and swish his tail and just glare at me.  The second I moved even barely an inch, he would latch onto my arm with all paws and his teeth so deep it would always end up a bloody mess.  When I push him off me (reflex) he jumps right back into latching onto my arm.  This is not playful and he seems really pissed off about something. 

Lately, since I've become pregnant (although maybe just a coincidence), he has started doing this same behaviour, although now it's when I'm sleeping.  Talk about a rude awakening!  And it's progressed to at least once every night.  I'm really tired of getting blood stains from my arms on my sheets and pillows!

He never does this to my husband, or anyone else who has come into our house.  In fact, when my husband sees him do it and yells at him, he actually backs off.  This weird thing is, the cat is always extremely affectionate toward me (when not attacking), and not so much with my husband.  Why attack the human you so love to cuddle with?  He is not shy, or skiddish with strangers, and is typically friendly towards everyone.  We always spend time playing, and he loves to lay in my lap and get pet, or lay on my legs or on my arms when he sleeps.

I just can't figure out what about me makes him so affectionate and then lash out with such aggression another moment.  And always when I'm completely still and minding my own business!

Additional info:  Male, neutered, 3 years old.  Husband found him in street about 6 weeks old (relatively clean, just alone), and gave him to me when he was about 8 or 9 weeks.  We've been affectionate toward eachother since we first met, just with this minor set back every once in a while.

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you're tasty? Have you seen a vet about it? He could be haveing mood swings as a side affect of something. It could also his way of saying, 'I want attention, so give it to me NOW.' I highly recommend a vet trip though.

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely agree about asking the vet.

I have a question, too, because what you've described so far seems really similar to a recent conversation here. A couple months ago, someone else mentioned her (spayed female) cat growling and even attacking her; the cat was usually affectionate but would become unpredictably aggressive for no apparent reason. She eventually noticed her cat's behavior seemed to correlate with her monthly cycle... is it possible something similar could be going on with your boy? I suppose this is something that you won't be able to test for a while, though... heh. But, congrats that you're expecting, in any case. :)