my cat attacked my face.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet Isis attacked my face. She's never done that before, I don't know if it was because she was angry at one of my other cats because he got close to her and was walking across her spot and she attacked my face because of it, but I'm heartbroken about it. She's never done this to me. I was standing next to her cat scratching post looking outside the door and she grabbed my face with both paws and nails and hissed at me, is it something I did? Is it my fault?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she.  

Is she new to your household.

It could be a number of reasons as to what freaked her out, but I wouldn't take it personally.

I'm sure other experienced members will chime in as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she's 11 months yesterday she is definitely not new to the household, I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old.

catpiedpiper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow!  A that age a lot of the time they are testing you.  What were the circumstances surrounding it....every little detail helps.  I'm sorry that happened, I know it makes you want to cry :(

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she's 11 months yesterday she is definitely not new to the household, I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old.
Their hearing, eyesight and sense of smell makes us seem, in comparison deaf, blind and wholly oblivious to our surroundings.  The chances are that she saw, heard or smelled something that you simply never sensed - and especially so if the door was open.  It sounds like a fear response rather than an attack.  No matter the size of the prey, when a cat attacks with intent, the prey is generally left unable to post to TCS.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat tower has 3 spots for them to lay on, one bottom, one middle one top. Its a bit taller than me. She was laying in it, the top one. I have it next to the door because she likes looking outside but I don't let her out because my neighbors do not like cats and its too dangerous. Well, she was laying down, my other cat climbed up not realizing she was there, he knows when she's up there not to go up but he did not know. When he got up, she smacked his face and growled at him and he left. I was looking out the door and I turned to look at her and I said her name, then she just attacked. I didn't expect it. It just happened, I don't believe I provoked it.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their hearing, eyesight and sense of smell makes us seem, in comparison deaf, blind and wholly oblivious to our surroundings.  The chances are that she saw, heard or smelled something that you simply never sensed - and especially so if the door was open.  It sounds like a fear response rather than an attack.  No matter the size of the prey, when a cat attacks with intent, the prey is generally left unable to post to TCS.

One of my cats eyes in the sun or light instead of looking the glowy red color most cats pupils look in the night or in the light, hers looks yellow while the other one is red. I don't know if she could've confused me with anything I doubt it I just don't know if she is partially blind because the vet says nothing is wrong with her eye.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are masters of misplaced aggression. Overstimulated about something you may not have noticed.  

catpiedpiper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was SO sweet until about that age and then he started acting up big time.  I grabbed him from an alley as a feral kitten and thought that might be it, but why all of a sudden?

He did something similar to what you describe one day and that was the last straw.  I took him back across the street and left him with the mean ferals.  It was hard and HEARTBREAKING for me.  I was NEVER going to leave him and didn't sleep that night, just wanted him to remember (if cats can) where he came from.  Let me tell you....ever since giving him a day of that he has never done ONE thing wrong and is the most perfect cat, or even human, in the world.

If you don't nip this in the bud you will always be scared now in the back of your mind, which will fuel her temper tantrums.  Wait until she does something even remotely similar (and she will because she is testing you) and then lock her in the bathroom for a few hours.  I know this seams harsh but they are somewhat like children.  And like children, you can't make them understand until the second they do it, so you may have to suffer another scratch or two.

Another thing that works VERY well, if the bathroom doesn't and she gets worse.  Grab your oven mitts and put them on.  Let her go batty crazy nuts on you biting and scratching.  For some reason they don't notice the mitts and just think you are impervious.  They give up and become pudding in your hands forever, with respect.  But she would have to get crazy out of control unless you coax her into this method.

Good luck and hang in there!

catpiedpiper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just saw your photo.  SO interesting....my first thought was that maybe she saw something else on your face.  My cat LOVES to chase shadows and is wholly focused.  Was this the exact moment?  Did you have a camera?  PS...She's beautiful

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat was SO sweet until about that age and then he started acting up big time.  I grabbed him from an alley as a feral kitten and thought that might be it, but why all of a sudden?

He did something similar to what you describe one day and that was the last straw.  I took him back across the street and left him with the mean ferals.  It was hard and HEARTBREAKING for me.  I was NEVER going to leave him and didn't sleep that night, just wanted him to remember (if cats can) where he came from.  Let me tell you....ever since giving him a day of that he has never done ONE thing wrong and is the most perfect cat, or even human, in the world.

If you don't nip this in the bud you will always be scared now in the back of your mind, which will fuel her temper tantrums.  Wait until she does something even remotely similar (and she will because she is testing you) and then lock her in the bathroom for a few hours.  I know this seams harsh but they are somewhat like children.  And like children, you can't make them understand until the second they do it, so you may have to suffer another scratch or two.

Another thing that works VERY well, if the bathroom doesn't and she gets worse.  Grab your oven mitts and put them on.  Let her go batty crazy nuts on you biting and scratching.  For some reason they don't notice the mitts and just think you are impervious.  They give up and become pudding in your hands forever, with respect.  But she would have to get crazy out of control unless you coax her into this method.

Good luck and hang in there!
You took your house cat and tossed him outside so feral cats could beat up on him ?

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if I lock her in the bathroom she'll tear up everything and drop everything everywhere :( so I think I'll go with the oven mitts next time! But I'm glad your cat is listening now! Isis is sleeping right next to me right now.. She jumped up here on the sofa and laid right next to my side and fell asleep..

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible she is developing some deafness... it could make her lash out more, if sudden movements (by your other cat or yourself) surprise her.

off-site link below, and you can search-engine for more info -- maybe you can also ask your vet (is there a hearing test for cats?)-
https://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/inherited-deafness-white-cats
I don't think she is developing some deafness.. She can hear things from across the world. Lol. She sleeps in the far room sometimes and as soon as I open a can of cat food in the morning she jumps up wakes up and runs as fast as she can to the kitchen. But I'll ask my vet Anyway!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if I lock her in the bathroom she'll tear up everything and drop everything everywhere
so I think I'll go with the oven mitts next time! But I'm glad your cat is listening now! Isis is sleeping right next to me right now.. She jumped up here on the sofa and laid right next to my side and fell asleep..
some of this advice is a bit extreme if you ask me.

Don't lock her in the bathroom or put her outside, she will resent that and it won't be productive.  No good can come from it.  She probably was startled and is not something you should take personal.

Play some constructive games with her to stimulate her and tucker her out.

She just may need some quality time.

JMO...xoxo good luck.

catpiedpiper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens mom .... I put him back across the street with the ferals he started with.  At the time it was EXCRUCIATING for me and I regretted it one second later.  I didn't know why I did it but he was so out of control.  I actually went right back an hour later to get him...literally crossing a street, but he had hidden under that house.  I never intended to leave him, I just thought it would help to remind him.  Trust me, I was a WRECK and it probably was harder on me than him.  I sat up ALL night and didn't sleep and waited until the sun came up to crawl under that house. But it worked!, more so then I could even have imagined.  And when home, he was spoiled beyond belief and has been ever since.

Last edited:

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just saw your photo.  SO interesting....my first thought was that maybe she saw something else on your face.  My cat LOVES to chase shadows and is wholly focused.  Was this the exact moment?  Did you have a camera?  PS...She's beautiful
She was just laying down and rolling on the floor and I noticed when she stopped rolling around she was facing towards the sun and I noticed yellow but I wasn't sure if I really say yellow pupil. Then I made her turn back so I can take a photo of it in the sunlight because I have 4 cats and none of them have their eyes like that at all. And thank you!! Nobody wanted her when the people we got her from were giving their kittens away, It was sad, my moms friend took her because she "liked" her but she wanted to dump her to the street after not even a day of having her so I took her.