My Cat Attacked Me During the Night - What Now?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily has been with me now for almost 9 years. She was rescued from the streets with her 4 kittens and was always "special". Her kittens were allöwed to be friendly but Emily kept herself well away from anyone who entered her room - usually sitting up on the highest shelf. By the time her kittens were old enough to be adopted, I at least had some sort of relationship with Emily - she would come to me when called, sat on my lap before giving me a swipe and running away. Nobody wanted Emily so she was slowly introduced to my other cats and is now a member of my cat family (at present 4 female adult cats.) She has refused all contact with other members of the family - greeting them with hisses and growls. She tolerates the other cats but keeps her distance from them too. Humans are still her biggest problem.

Up to now, at night, my 2 black cats have slept on me or on my left side, near the upper half of my body. Emily has kept near my feet and, after an initial cuddle, Woolly Bear finds herself somewhere comfortable away from the rest of us. I have always known that if I stretch out a hand during the night to find out which cat is close by and touch Emily, she will probably react with a viscious swipe. Yes, she sometimes draws blood but it's only my hand and I should have known better than to annoy her.

Unfortunately, she now prefers to get closer to me at night - she lies right up against my right shoulder. My scalp was scatched when Katy, in her eagerness to throw her little body against my head, got a bit too close to Emily who reacted as expected, frightening Katy who then ran over my head with extended claws. No real harm was done. But, 2 nights ago, in the early hours of the morning I turned over towards Emily, who jumped on my left arm - giving me a hefty bite and deep scratches. The bite swelled up immediately and I was dripping blood. I ran to the bathroom - probably frightening Emily even more and treated my wounds. When I returned she was sitting on the bed, waiting for me as if nothing had happened.

And now......... I have lost my confidence in Emily - I am trying to treat her as before, but I can see she senses my fear and is cautious. During the day I can manage - I can read her body language and can anticipate changes in her moods. But at night - I try to cocoon myself in the bedclothes. I am usually half awake whenever Katy is purring away and crawling around my neck so that I can be alert to Emily's presence and bad temper. But, I can't prevent myself from turning over - in the still of the night - and provoking another attack from Emily. Must I ban all my cats from my bedroom? Katy hates closed doors - and she's the one I'll miss most at night - I think she'll miss me too.

My daughter is really worried that Emily is capable of doing far more damage - perhaps to my eyes - my arm looks as though it's been mauled by a lion but it seems to be healing well. At least the swelling has gone down. I suppose I could wear a thick protective overall and crash helmet with visor in bed - but I would certainly prefer not to!

I am obviously the problem but we seemed to be getting along so well. I'm now scared to offer her my hand, let her rub herself against my face or put mhand under her stomach - things I would previously do without thinking. Has anybody any ideas? The problem seems to be simply that we have advanced too far - we have finished up too close to each other, at least at night when Emily is perhaps most vulnerable and insecure.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably be better to keep Emily out of the bedroom at night, than to let her feel your fear, loss of trust in her.

She took her time sleeping away from you, she may well accept it as a normal change. You could also move the bedroom furniture around a bit to make it more a general change than her specifically. If you want one or two of the others to sleep in the bedroom, lock them in with you. Emily has seen more change in her life than the rest of your cats, and has adapted to each new thing.

Give yourself time. Odds are when you turned to her Emily was in her half asleep on guard mode and didn't know you were the thing that moved when she attacked. However, you need space until you can believe that with your whole being and, perhaps, your daughter does as well. Be sure your daughter knows that she, too, can shut her room away from Emily. Emily will be picking up her fears for herself and you as well.

You might get Emily a special little cat tent/house to sleep in in another room.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it stinks, but I think your daughter is right and you need to adjust your sleeping arrangements more. Serious injuries to an owner are rare of course, but they do happen, and your getting clear signals that you are at risk of one.

I've been there myself. A few years back we had an older cat, Rocky that loved to be on my lap or chest. But when Clyde came as a kitten, Rocky had a good amount of stress that lingered for months post introduction. If Clyde came near, or she heard a noise and thought it might be Clyde, she would spring off me, with no concern for my body. I had to keep her off my chest because she litterally sprang over my head and scratched my face, and I had to keep her off my lap if not wearing something as protective as jeans. It did get better over the months as Rocky calmed down, and I was eventually able to resume letting her on me. But I wasn't going to take a risk of an eye injury.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You aren't throwing Emily out of your life or your family by making her sleep somewhere else at night. Yes, it would be nice to have her with you at night, but she's not ready for that yet. (Note the word YET). She's still a little too alert, a little too on guard for that, but it will happen in time. For now she doesn't understand that you fear her, she will feel your fear and in her mind she will know there is a a huge danger lurking in the house that is out to hurt you, her, everyone. She will be more on guard, more alert.

To help her feel secure and safe, let your heart sing to her of being at peace, of when she doesn't need to fear things because you will be protecting her. Your heart can't sing the song she needs to hear while you fear her. You see,

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats. Casper is the oldest. He's just about ten years old and we've had him for about seven, going on eight, years.
Elliot is the young cat. He's a year old and we took him in three weeks, almost a month ago. Both cats get along well and they even play together but, at times, Casper, the oldest, can act like a "grouchy, old man."

One of the biggest sticking points between the cats is time-sharing the humans.

Casper is used to having his humans all to himself and he doesn't like it when Elliot, the younger, tries to horn in on his snuggle time. Casper is closely bonded with his main human (Casper's Girl-Human) and he doesn't like sharing her.

Elliot is a true, blue "Velcro Kitten." He follows his humans all around the house and, if there's a lap to be had, he'll be on it in seconds. When we go to bed, he wants to sleep on our stomachs. Elliot was abandoned outdoors when we took him in so I don't blame him for being needy.

Here's our main problem: One is a Velcro Kitten while the other is used to having his humans all to himself.

What happens when Casper is snuggled up in bed with his main human when some little interloper shows up and tries to weasel into bed? Fireworks! That's what happens! ;)

Casper's Girl-Human was in bed with Casper, purring and making biscuits on her tummy when the little upstart, Elliot, jumped up on the bed and tried to make himself comfy. Well, Casper would have none of it and he came unglued! Girl-Human was caught in the middle of the fracas. She was half asleep at the time so it took her a few seconds to wake up and figure out what was happening. In the process, she did get a little scratch. It was nothing a little antiseptic and a Band-Aid couldn't handle but, still, it was quite a rude awakening!

This only happened on one occasion but, now, we have to be careful when we go to bed so that the two cats don't get into a scuffle while we are trying to get some shuteye. If we can't keep the cats apart, in bed, we have to shut one out until the other has had a fair chance to have some "me time" with his humans.

I suggest that your incident happened for similar reasons. You had three cats in bed with you. Two of them are social but one is, more or less, not social. So, here you are, warm and comfy in bed, trying to catch a few Z's when one cat decides that one of the others is horning in on her human.

Call it "redirected aggression" or "misplaced aggression" or what-have-you but I think you basically got caught in the middle of the fireworks like Casper's Girl-Human did.

I think your solution is going to be similar to what we have to do... Keep the cats apart while in bed until they can learn to live under a flag of truce. Only let them into bed with you one at a time or, if you must, shut them out of the bedroom, all together. As they learn what "Bedtime Rules" are and work out a peace treaty between themselves, you can gradually let them back into bed.

Until that time, you're probably going to have to be the referee in the bedroom.

I know. It's not a lot of fun while we're trying to get our beauty sleep.
(...and I need all the Beauty Sleep I can get! ;) ;) ;) )

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think as well you need to keep her out of the room for now at least. Make sure your other cat has a litter and some water for the night and keep the door closed.

I would also suggest a vet visit. Pain can cause an older cat to be more grumpy. Perhaps something dental or some arthritis. (We didn't know our Nobel had a cracked tooth until after a dental x-ray! Even the vet couldn't see it on exam).

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not let Emily sleep with me at night. Make her a cozy little area she can sleep in so she does t feel punished. You can always alternate who does sleep with you. If you feel guilty, don’t let any of them in the bedroom. Use a noise machine to drown out any noise or scratching meowing at the door

I had 4 cats and I couldn’t let them all in because one would attack the others. Not a fun way to be woken up.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When going to the vet to check for hidden pain, always insist on a full body x-ray to look for arthritis. It happens on the spine and sternum as well as elbows and knees. Our vet didn't want to do it for our cat because she was only a year old. I insisted and there the arthritis was. Once she was on pain medicine OTC cosequin, she was MUCH less aggressive. If your vet tech is good and your cat small to medium, one or two x-ray plates should cover the whole cat.