My cat ate WHOLE quail leg!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried holding one end like you said, she ripped it our of my hand, she's quite strong! I even resorted to holding one end with a pair of pliers but she would dig into my hand with her claw while yanking with her jaws and even still managed to rip it out that way.
Oh goodness!

Butā€¦ did she chomp on it or gulp it down?

Larger pieces are better for encouraging chomping. Unfortunately, quail and game hen wings are pretty small.
When you fed her the leg, was it just the drumstick, or the entire quarter?
Have you tried setting the whole bird down to see what she does with it? Or maybe half the breast & ribs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness!

Butā€¦ did she chomp on it or gulp it down?

Larger pieces are better for encouraging chomping. Unfortunately, quail and game hen wings are pretty small.
When you fed her the leg, was it just the drumstick, or the entire quarter?
Have you tried setting the whole bird down to see what she does with it? Or maybe half the breast & ribs?
When she ripped the wing bone out of my hand she chomped on it all inside her mouth, I couldnā€™t see it, it looked like she was trying to swallow it, then she just dropped the whole thing and sat there and looked at it, at which point I picked it up and threw it out.

when Ifed her the leg it was the leg and quarter. Since itā€™s semi boneless quail, the only bone was inside the leg and about 2ā€ long.So she basically swallowed the quarter and leg bone all at once.

I tried giving the wing bone with the quarter attached (breast?) today. She put the meaty part in her mouth, and held down the wing bone with her claws and pulled her jaws up HARD and separated the quarter from the wing in one big yank. At this point i chickened out again and grabbed the wing bone and let her eat the quarter partā€” breast I thinkā€” has no bones.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
When she ripped the wing bone out of my hand she chomped on it all inside her mouth, I couldnā€™t see it, it looked like she was trying to swallow it, then she just dropped the whole thing and sat there and looked at itā€¦

She put the meaty part in her mouth, and held down the wing bone with her claws and pulled her jaws up HARD and separated the quarter from the wing in one big yank.
The fact that she dropped the wing after failing to gulp it down is actually a good thing. I probably would have let her sit with it a while to see if she would go at it again. Then if she didnā€™t, Iā€™d save it for later to let her try again. There is a learning curve. šŸ˜‰

Yanking the wing off the breast is also a step in the right direction. Working the food like that is mentally engaging. šŸ‘

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The fact that she dropped the wing after failing to gulp it down is actually a good thing. I probably would have let her sit with it a while to see if she would go at it again. Then if she didnā€™t, Iā€™d save it for later to let her try again. There is a learning curve. šŸ˜‰

Yanking the wing off the breast is also a step in the right direction. Working the food like that is mentally engaging. šŸ‘
Agreed. The instincts are there. Now it will just be a learning curve.

Bill

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so I tried feeding the wing and quarter together and she kicked her head back again and tried to swallow it. She couldnā€™t of course but now Iā€™m still hesitant to feed it. She chews the wings but canā€™t chew them up, maybe because her jaw strength is t there yet. Sheā€™s also missing her back molars, maybe that has something to do with it.

I also got some raw duck feet to try. Do I need to clean these first before feeding?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I am not mistaken (and someone please correct me), it is less dangerous for a cat to consume bones from raw meat than from cooked. A dove fell into the side of my house. My Siamese cat grabbed and ate the whole bird without problems. Not saying problems couldn't happen, but it's natural for them to eat raw.

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can your cat chew cubes of just meat without bones? I'm actually quite late to the game of feeding raw meaty bones, meaning my cats were eating raw for a long time first. But I remember my Little Girl especially took a long time to build up muscle strength, and desire, just to chew cubes. My boys were much faster, but all cats are different. If you haven't started with just meat chunks I would start there, and maybe work up to gizzards, and then meaty bones.

Gotta add, I just fed one of my cats large quail sections for awhile for the first time, and he absolutely loved it! (This was my "gulper" too but benefits from largeish pieces.)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't mean to misrepresent myself. I don't feed raw, though I have nothing against it. My first crew of cats were all indoor/outdoor. Sometimes, they would eat what they caught before I could save it.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
ā€¦. Sheā€™s also missing her back molars, maybe that has something to do with it.

I also got some raw duck feet to try. Do I need to clean these first before feeding?
Oooh, yes, if she is missing her back molars, that could be a big factor. And it certainly explains why she is a gulper.
This would definitely make me re-think the approach to feeding bone-in foods.
I would probably pre-smash the wings and feet, though leave them as whole as possible to at least encourage gnawing and tearing with the front teeth.
As for the feet, I do tend to clean them and clip off the claws.

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can your cat chew cubes of just meat without bones? I'm actually quite late to the game of feeding raw meaty bones, meaning my cats were eating raw for a long time first. But I remember my Little Girl especially took a long time to build up muscle strength, and desire, just to chew cubes. My boys were much faster, but all cats are different. If you haven't started with just meat chunks I would start there, and maybe work up to gizzards, and then meaty bones.

Gotta add, I just fed one of my cats large quail sections for awhile for the first time, and he absolutely loved it! (This was my "gulper" too but benefits from largeish pieces.)
This is what I've been doing, just feeding large chunks of quail. She chews them for a minute or so before gulping so I guess it's better than nothing. I have also been adding chunks of pork to her food. I am hesitant to try smashing the wings or feet because I still feel like she would try to swallow them but maybe I should try it. I've been trying every which way to get her to eat the gizzards-- marinating in quail blood, mixing into food, brewers yeast, etc. She just won't eat them which is a shame because this would be the best option for prolonged chewing.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I've been doing, just feeding large chunks of quail. She chews them for a minute or so before gulping so I guess it's better than nothing. I have also been adding chunks of pork to her food. I am hesitant to try smashing the wings or feet because I still feel like she would try to swallow them but maybe I should try it. I've been trying every which way to get her to eat the gizzards-- marinating in quail blood, mixing into food, brewers yeast, etc. She just won't eat them which is a shame because this would be the best option for prolonged chewing.
With the gizzards, I might try putting on a very light sear--just enough to "put on a nose" on the outside--to see if that perks up an interest.

Worth a shot.

Bill

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I am not mistaken (and someone please correct me), it is less dangerous for a cat to consume bones from raw meat than from cooked. A dove fell into the side of my house. My Siamese cat grabbed and ate the whole bird without problems. Not saying problems couldn't happen, but it's natural for them to eat raw.
Yes, raw soft edible bone is a positive for cats and other carnivores. They should never eat standard-cooked bones, as these can splinter.

As a caveat, some bones can be pressure cooked to the point where they are safe, but ordinarily cooked bone is a no go.

Bill

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the gizzards, I might try putting on a very light sear--just enough to "put on a nose" on the outside--to see if that perks up an interest.

Worth a shot.

Bill
Thatā€™s a great idea! I will try that. I also have the frozen turkey and duck necks but since she has a hard time crushing quail bones I think they may be too hard for her. But I welcome any and all suggestions!

FredMD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Worth a shot.

Bill
Welp I just tried searing the gizzard and sooo not interested. :doh2:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thatā€™s a great idea! I will try that. I also have the frozen turkey and duck necks but since she has a hard time crushing quail bones I think they may be too hard for her. But I welcome any and all suggestions!
Turkey necks are very challenging (being so thick) even for very experienced cats.

I have mentioned it in other threads, but I did discover that frozen turkey necks can be "shaved" into very thin slices by placing a heavy butcher knife crosswise on the bone then giving it a hard whack with a rubber mallet.

This technique can yield very thin pieces of meat and bone.

Bill