My cat and yoga

KC99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,, I am first time cat owner, he is a linx point I believe, he is about 9 months old, I am retired so it is just me and him all day. I have just recently started doing yoga again and while I am doing my practice he will just come at me and grab my foot and kinda hit it with open mouth, or if I am in a floor pose he will jump on my arm/wrist and do the same with my hand... he as also just started standing at windows and make like digging motions at the glass for several seconds repeatedly. Just trying to figure him out.. he is my buddy and I just love him ❤ any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my, what a handsome fellow!

He's just exploring his options and letting off some exuberance, but there's something about humans sitting or working on the floor-my Poppy always, without fail, comes to investigate :)

Can you take him for walks, or do you have a way to allow him on a balcony inside a cat mesh tent?

There's this, too
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree - he is essentially just being a young cat. You might try having a kickeroo toy or two around while you are doing yoga and toss one his way if you want to have a second or two break from him attacking body parts while you are on the floor. The pawing at the window could be a sign of boredom or just him not yet realizing that he can't get out that way to play outside!

Be leery of the idea of taking him for walks unless you are willing to do it for a lifetime - some cats like it a bit too much. Better to set up a balcony or back yard cat enclosure/catio so that he learns to understand the confinement related to it while still getting some outdoor time.

Another TCS article, just in case there are more helpful tips!
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KC99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my, what a handsome fellow!

He's just exploring his options and letting off some exuberance, but there's something about humans sitting or working on the floor-my Poppy always, without fail, comes to investigate :)

Can you take him for walks, or do you have a way to allow him on a balcony inside a cat mesh tent?

There's this, too
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you, I thought that might be the case, we are working on harness and leash training so we can sit on our deck and watch the birds and squirrels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KC99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I agree - he is essentially just being a young cat. You might try having a kickeroo toy or two around while you are doing yoga and toss one his way if you want to have a second or two break from him attacking body parts while you are on the floor. The pawing at the window could be a sign of boredom or just him not yet realizing that he can't get out that way to play outside!

Be leery of the idea of taking him for walks unless you are willing to do it for a lifetime - some cats like it a bit too much. Better to set up a balcony or back yard cat enclosure/catio so that he learns to understand the confinement related to it while still getting some outdoor time.

Another TCS article, just in case there are more helpful tips!
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you, I am hoping for us to have sunroom added to our home as soon as budget will allow, our deck is open but we are working on harness and leash, is that a good option for now.?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, I am hoping for us to have sunroom added to our home as soon as budget will allow, our deck is open but we are working on harness and leash, is that a good option for now.?
I have never leashed trained a cat as I have been fortunate enough to have a screened in patio that my cats have all had access to; I just know I've heard plenty of stories about once the leash walks happen, there is no going back!! I suppose you could consider what Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested regarding an enclosed cat tent to place on the balcony while you sit outside with him and watch the outdoors activities!