My Cat And Puppy Hate Each Other!

Kittens and chickens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home a 2 month old German Shepard puppy three days ago named Bucky. I was walking him around my yard and my cat Kaia who is a mama walked up to him and attacked him. Ever since then whenever Bucky sees her he barks and tries to chase her. He is also afraid of the other cats but won't attack them. And with Kaia she tries to attack him. It's like a constant war. I knew they would have to take some time to get used to each other but my cat attacking him made it so much harder. Does anyone have any tips? I feel like they just need a chill pill.:chillpill::blackcat:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does Kaia currently have kittens? If so, she'll be ultra protective of them, and that is most likely why she's going after Bucky so much.

With cats and dogs, I always put my focus on training the dog. The better trained and behaved a dog is, the fewer problems you'l have with interactions between them. Your first step is to find a reputable trainer, and get Bucky enrolled in puppy training classes. Practice basic obedience with him at home too, ideally multiple times a day. Little and often is the key with puppies. As he learns some manners, Kaia will gradually become more accepting of him. Never leave them together unsupervised until both are fully accepting and respectful of each other. Until you are totally confident of Bucky's obedience and recall, don' t have him off leash around Kaia either. Better safe than sorry ;)

I always crate train my dogs too - then let the cats investigate when the dog is crated. This is a great way to build up kitty's confidence and show them that the dog isn't a threat. Make sure there are plenty out of reach places for Kaia to get up high and observe Bucky too. If she can watch him in safety, she'll learn to accept him that much faster.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Introducing Cats To Dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittens and chickens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! Yeah she does have kittens three beautiful baby boy kittens and she won't let Bucky go anywhere near the room we keep her and them in. She'll reach under the door and scratch at him. I've been doing good at keeping them separated but it's hard when company comes over because they forget to close some doors and the battle starts once they get a glimpse of each other. I try to give them equal love but it's hard when you have a puppy that constantly wants to be with you. I am teaching him 'sit' and 'leave it' but I'll see about obedience training. He is so good with my chickens and the other cats it's just that one time that Kaia got mad at him and messed everything up. We are looking for a kennel it's just we live in no mans land and the only kennels are at Walmart and he's too big for them. It's a bit frustrating but I knew what I was getting myself into when I got a puppy and I still love them both very much!
:gaah::heartshape:

Kittens and chickens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I tried putting her up high but she just wanted to jump down and attack not observe. I swear she thinks she has nine lives and she wants to spend them all going after Bucky.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she's in full on protection mode. Keep them totally separate until kittens are old enough to leave Kaia (12-14 weeks onwards), and be ultra careful when you have people over. Maybe stick a note on Kaia's door to remind everyone?

As for the crate, try ordering online. I got mine that way - so much easier!

Kittens and chickens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea I'll put a note on her door. As for the kennel we are going to get one probably in town at petco but I will definitely check online for some good deals!