My cat and kitten eat out of each other's bowls

deecraword

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Shylo(4) wont stop eating out of Smokey's(5mon)bowl. And Smokey wont stop eating out of Shylo's bowl. I am concerned because Shylo is eating kitten food and Smokey is eating cat food. Is it gonna hurt them?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well likely no talk to your vet or vet tech though ... the 4 yr old risks getting fatter and the kitten risk not getting enough calories and nutrients for proper growth... i would mis both food in both dishes

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That kitten food peobably does contain more fat, but I'm not sure I have all kinds of differant food for differant reason, and I think everyone eats everybody elses lol

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can just give everyone a high quality food labeled for all life stages. I have kittens and adults in my house and everyone eats the same Chicken Soup dry and Innova and Eagle Pack and Pet Guard canned. It's good for the kittens and good for the adults too.

Most "adult" foods are actually labeled for all life stages, so you can check the label on your adult cat's food and see if it would be appropriate for the kitten. If so, you can just feed that to both of them and not have to worry.

But in general, as long as your adult cat's kidneys are fine (meaning he can tolerate the higher protein content in kitten food) and he's eating regular adult food (not "light" or "senior", which are too low in calories and protein for kittens), then no one is going to be harmed if they eat each other's food.

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when my sister got a kitten we had that same prob so my sister fed her kitten in her room and i fed my cat in mine
we usually only feed them when their hungry so that the food isnt out for the dogs to eat or in the kitten case the other cat

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cazimauw

when my sister got a kitten we had that same prob so my sister fed her kitten in her room and i fed my cat in mine
we usually only feed them when their hungry so that the food isnt out for the dogs to eat or in the kitten case the other cat
OMG! I just wanted to say I love your signature!

We feed our adult cat on the bench because he has wet food. Our cats that are not allowed wet food know they are not allowed on the bench. You could try feeding the cat higher.

lainie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have sort of the same question, but with a 7-year-old cat, and I've been thinking I should probably start feeding him senior food:

I have a 15-lb. 7-year-old cat, named George, who typically free-feeds on Hills Science Diet Adult Light/Hairball dry food during the day, and at night 1/2 can of regular canned adult Hills Science Diet.

I just adopted a 14-week-old kitten this weekend, named Ben, and I've been feeding him Hills' kitten dry food to eat during the day. And I've been giving him the other half of the canned food I've been feeding George (cutting the chunks up a bit smaller for his little mouth).

Both cats have hearty appetites, and George keeps eating Ben's dry kitten food, and I'm afraid of him gaining any more weight.

Reading your posts, I'm wondering if the best solution might be to give them both the same dry food that are good for all life stages, like semiferal mentioned...and then for dinner (the canned food), give George the same adult stuff he's been eating; and Ben a canned food made for kittens so I can make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs. And I'll just try to get George to eat less and exercise him more (although he's already quite active).

Does that sound OK?