My Cat, Ally, Was Spayed Today ...

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
... and all is well as far as her post-surgical behavior. She appears to be comfortable for the time being. However, I'm noticing that her incision is not completely sealed. Is this normal or should I worry? The vet technician told me that they used a surgical glue rather than sutures, so the small opening kind of concerns me. Of course, I'm doing my best to keep her from picking at that area, but you know how that goes... :doh:
I'm sure many of you have had your cat spayed and I'd appreciate hearing how this process unfolded for other members. I've had several cats in my lifetime, but all of them were males!

I'd also love to hear any suggestions or thoughts on how to deter her from agitating, biting, picking, etc. the affected area on her stomach.

Thank you!
I wish all forums were as amazing as this one! :)

- Dee
:winkcat:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Dee Ashley Dee Ashley :wave3:,
would you be able to upload a photo of your cat, Ally's incision site?
(you use the 'upload a file' button, on the bottom, and choose 'full image'...not thumbnail.)

Since they used surgical glue, sometimes the opening does pull apart. But as long as the underlying tissue looks good, and the site is healing, not looking red, weeping, not raised or hot, and no blood, then the incision should heal well.
You can also take a photo, and just email your Vet, to be sure.

As for keeping Ally away from bothering the incision site, there is an Article on TCS(the Cat Site), that should help:
The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner's Guide
Personally, I love the 'low tech...use a paper plate idea'...since you can make as many as you want, does not cost much, and it does the job.:)
But if Ally hates it, then you can try the other methods.
(edit: I did notice that the first few links are to threads where the photos do not show up, perhaps due to age of thread, or different photo formats, platform, etc...but you should be able to get the idea.):wink:

There are also youtube videos, showing DIY cat cones.

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Google baby onesie for cats. That was a life saver for me! I bought a tank top style which was great because where the baby arms would go you out your cats legs thru and then the crotch part you cut a hole and that's where your cats head goes and you close the snaps at the scruff of the neck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Dee Ashley Dee Ashley :wave3:,
would you be able to upload a photo of your cat, Ally's incision site?
(you use the 'upload a file' button, on the bottom, and choose 'full image'...not thumbnail.)

Since they used surgical glue, sometimes the opening does pull apart. But as long as the underlying tissue looks good, and the site is healing, not looking red, weeping, not raised or hot, and no blood, then the incision should heal well.
You can also take a photo, and just email your Vet, to be sure.

As for keeping Ally away from bothering the incision site, there is an Article on TCS(the Cat Site), that should help:
The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner's Guide
Personally, I love the 'low tech...use a paper plate idea'...since you can make as many as you want, does not cost much, and it does the job.:)
But if Ally hates it, then you can try the other methods.
(edit: I did notice that the first few links are to threads where the photos do not show up, perhaps due to age of thread, or different photo formats, platform, etc...but you should be able to get the idea.):wink:

There are also youtube videos, showing DIY cat cones.

Hello! Thanks so much for your insight. Ally has done remarkably well as far as her recovery goes. I'm really impressed with her healing and (mostly) ignoring her incision site. The incision is healing up very nicely as far as I can tell, and to my surprise, she has not been agitating it. Occasionally she would start to lick the area and I was able to easily distract her with a gentle nudge or a moving shoelace. :p This is not what I expected since the only other cat I had that had to have a surgery with stitches had to wear a cone afterwards for his non-compliance, lol. I didn't want to do that to Ally!

I think what I'm trying to say is, so far so good! :)

:catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Google baby onesie for cats. That was a life saver for me! I bought a tank top style which was great because where the baby arms would go you out your cats legs thru and then the crotch part you cut a hole and that's where your cats head goes and you close the snaps at the scruff of the neck.

Thank you!! I don't want to jinx it, but I think Ally's recovery is on a roll. She's done incredibly well and even seems to be able to resist picking or irritating the incision site. Considering my other cat surgery had to involve one of those dreaded cones, I'm very pleased with her road to recovery thus far! :p

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thanks so much for your insight. Ally has done remarkably well as far as her recovery goes. I'm really impressed with her healing and (mostly) ignoring her incision site. The incision is healing up very nicely as far as I can tell, and to my surprise, she has not been agitating it. Occasionally she would start to lick the area and I was able to easily distract her with a gentle nudge or a moving shoelace. :p This is not what I expected since the only other cat I had that had to have a surgery with stitches had to wear a cone afterwards for his non-compliance, lol. I didn't want to do that to Ally!

I think what I'm trying to say is, so far so good! :)

:catrub:
Excellent. Always great to hear an update! Thanks for posting it, Dee Ashley Dee Ashley . :thumbsup:
Ally was probably kind of itchy at the surgical site, while the fur grows back, and the site heals, so naturally she'd want to lick it. Excellent that you were able to distract her with a shoelace, or gentle nudge.:biggrin:

Continued healing vibes sent for Ally. Sounds like she's doing great. :catrub: