My cat acts like he doesn't recognize me after a day at work

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This ones been puzzling me for ages so any insight would be appreciated.

I work from the office 2 days a week. I leave the house at around 850 and then come home at 630. On these days, i feed my cat via the auto feeder and in the morning i feed him myself.
When i get home, he paces around, jumps onto my work bag and laptop bag and sniffs it. When i try to pet him, he gets all antsy and runs off or hides. The only exception is when im feeding him, then he sticks around. He'll then meow loudly as if he's really confused at who i am and what is happening. I try to console him but it's almost alarming as he has this look in his eye as if he has no idea who i am and im a stranger whos just broken in.

I've discovered though that affter a solid and vigorous play session, he calms down and then retreats away by himself to rest. I wonder if he's just so bored at home all day (single cat) that he is just screaming for some entertainment when im back home.

Also I just wanna add that this behaviour happens only AFTER he’s finished eating which makes it even weirder

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you are bringing with you some scents from the office or from outside which he is not familiar of, that is why he gets antsy when you arrive home and try to pet him.

And usually cats are like that. They ignore their humans. LOL. :)

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This ones been puzzling me for ages so any insight would be appreciated.

I work from the office 2 days a week. I leave the house at around 850 and then come home at 630. On these days, i feed my cat via the auto feeder and in the morning i feed him myself.
When i get home, he paces around, jumps onto my work bag and laptop bag and sniffs it. When i try to pet him, he gets all antsy and runs off or hides. The only exception is when im feeding him, then he sticks around. He'll then meow loudly as if he's really confused at who i am and what is happening. I try to console him but it's almost alarming as he has this look in his eye as if he has no idea who i am and im a stranger whos just broken in.
I'm betting you have a young cat less than 2 years old. He's still full of young energy that's been building all day long. He needs things like Cat TV (windows to watch the outside world from) to keep him occupied while you're gone.

He's not looking at you like you're a stranger. He misses you, he's full of pent up energy and when you return, you're getting the kitty version of "DADDY'S HOME!" He's antsy and won't let you pet him because he's already over stimulated. Petting an over stimulated cat leads to biting and he knows it, so he removes himself from the situation. You've got a good cat who loves you.

Instead of trying to console him, pull out a wand toy and play with him. This will give your cat the interaction he clearly wants from you. Do it every time you come home from work and make it a ritual. Your cat will love it.

You and your cat have a solid bond and good things are happening.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can certainly act this way if your gone for a weekend or longer. Seen it many times. Does seem a bit weird for a single day, and I've never seen my cats act this way just because we are out and about for most of a day. But you are likely dressed different, may smell different and its a break from routine. Perhaps we'll see more of this now that a much greater % of folks are working a schedule similar to yours.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have gotten great advice. Additionally maybe keep a pair of slippers by the door and change out of your work shoes when you get home, and rub a light towel over him or have one that he'll sleep on and then throw that over your work and laptop bag.