My BSH needs a sibling/tell me about your Siamese babies

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I couldn't really figure out where to post it. :think: This might be a longer post, but please hang in there! :D

I have a BSH boy, who is now 2.5 years old. His name is Marx, he moved with me across the globe, he is an awesome fellow and I love him to pieces. He's pretty much what you expect from a BSH: very gentle, very easy going, loves to be around my husband and me, but isn't really a lap cat - he'll ask for cuddles sometimes, follows us around the house and will let us pick him up, but very very seldom he'll stay in the lap if you put him there. He pretty much hates being alone though, which wasn't a huge deal so far, because I worked from home, but now things have changed. I work now full time in an office and feel awful leaving him alone for such a long time.

So I've decided to get him a sibling. As he is a very confident and easy-going cat, I think he would adjust quite fast to having another cat around, but I also want to make sure that the new kitten we bring into the house has a similar temper and won't end up terrorizing him (so I won't be getting a Bengal for sure). The other thing is that I personally would enjoy our other cat to be more of a lap cat. I do know that the breed alone does not determine the character of a cat 100%, but it does help a bit.

So I thought about getting a Siamese. I wanted one since I was little. They are so beautiful and are supposed to be very cuddly? But I have also read that they can be a bit destructive and very loud :D The meowing I won't mind (Marx is very talkative himself), but I'm a bit concerned that a very active sibling might stress Marx?

So what do you think about that breed match? Does anyone have experience with it? Could you tell me about your Siamese babies and how they get along with other kitties? Also, do you have suggestions for a breed that ould be a good match for my boy?

P.S. I'm all for adopting pets rather than buying them, trust me, but I live in a country without proper shelters, so if I would opt for adoption, it would basically be picking up a feral kitten from the street, trying to help it to adjust to being an indoor-only cat and hoping that the new cat will turn out to be a gentle one since otherwise, it would be a lot of stress for Marx. In that case, it would be better to just let him be alone.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Meezers can be extremely energetic and not so much cuddly. My heart kitty when I was a kid was always on the go, and his purebred oldstyle applehead siamese mama wasn't much of a cuddler.

Siamese Cats

Ragdoll Cats
What about a ragdoll, or instead of another buddy that might not work out for him, try intermittent cat music - there's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. Also, you could set up a camera so you can see what he does when you're gone - there's every possibility that he just sleeps until you get back home :)

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get an applehead siamese. Don't even need to pay a breeder, appleheads are more available than the traditional look. I don't know that they really have the stereotypical breed behavior characteristics. Mine didn't anyway, and I think they are a less heavily bred cat, and hence more variable. But the look is very different from a traditional purebred siamese -- I prefer the applehead, but not everyone does.

But horse before cart. Are you getting a kitten or an adult cat? Its very hard to pick the temperment of a kitten, and picking a purebred doesn't help much. Sure, a Bengal might be feisty, an Abyssinian might climb everything and a purebred Siamese might be noisy. Or not. Cats are really variable, and you can't really tell when they are kittens how they will turn out.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could get an applehead siamese. Don't even need to pay a breeder, appleheads are more available than the traditional look. I don't know that they really have the stereotypical breed behavior characteristics. Mine didn't anyway, and I think they are a less heavily bred cat, and hence more variable. But the look is very different from a traditional purebred siamese -- I prefer the applehead, but not everyone does.

But horse before cart. Are you getting a kitten or an adult cat? Its very hard to pick the temperment of a kitten, and picking a purebred doesn't help much. Sure, a Bengal might be feisty, an Abyssinian might climb everything and a purebred Siamese might be noisy. Or not. Cats are really variable, and you can't really tell when they are kittens how they will turn out.
Well, unfortunately buying an adult cat isn't easy and I already explained why adoption isn't an option. I'm also very aware of the fact that the breed alone doesn't determine the personality of each individual cat, but it does help with "being in the ballpark" and then it's up to luck I guess.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two Siamese mixes. One was just a regular kitten but the other, oh my. She had unstoppable energy and a flare for being dramatic. So she was either running at top speed for longer and faster than I had ever seen a kitten run or so full of woe that she was screaming ear piercing shrieks that only ended if I carried her around and sang her to sleep while she nursed on my finger. Her wildness And impulsiveness caused her to break her tail in the dryer, split her lip climbing the shower curtain and nearly strangle herself tipping over a stereo speaker. I did have some doubts that she would make it through kittenhood without killing herself.

As an adult she topped out at six pounds and kept her most kitten energy although she did develop a smidgen more sense. Still, if there was trouble to be gotten into or anything worth of being played with she was all in. And she remained through out her nineteen years of life extremely loud, opinionated and demanding.

Granted, not all Siamese are like this and no one can predict a cats personality but if you get a Murphy you are in for a wonderful challenge.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And she remained through out her nineteen years of life extremely loud, opinionated and demanding.
Oh my gracious sakes, lol, I think this would have been my childhood heart kitty had he lived longer :purr::kitty::dancingblackcat::dizzycat::catlove:

Sometimes you are super fortunate and the cat picks/finds you :winkcat::lovecat2:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are a blast! They are funny, friendly to just about everyone, and scary smart. They are a people cat and not so much a cat's cat. That doesn't mean they won't get along with other felines, they just prefer a person as their main companion. In that respect they may try to act a little bossy, (especially males) around other cats. Yes, they can talk non-stop with a distinctively funny but annoying meow, (although it seems as though that is getting bred out of them more and more).

I don't know your kitty but I don't think a Siamese will stress him out. Their bark is worse than their bite. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unfortunately buying an adult cat isn't easy and I already explained why adoption isn't an option. I'm also very aware of the fact that the breed alone doesn't determine the personality of each individual cat, but it does help with "being in the ballpark" and then it's up to luck I guess.
I don't think there is such a thing as a feral kitten younger than 14 weeks. They seem to adjust about as quickly and as well as home raised kittens. Maybe a slight difference in how long it takes, but I've had rescued kittens follow me around needing constant attention and now have a super sweet home raised kitten that is still a little skittish at times. Maybe some statistical differences, dunno, but I think they need to be older to truly warrant the feral label. Regardless, no harm in getting a purebred from a reputable breeder but I'm not sure any breed of kitten is especially likely to be chill. Chill kittens don't seem real common -- I've only had one myself! Fortunately, at 2 1/2 years your older cat has pretty good odds of befriending a typical kitten, so I think if you want a Siamese and don't mind the noise, go for it! If you don't want the noise, consider an applehead siamese. Best with it!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my lifetime I have had 2 purebred Siamese (in my 20’s) and 2 Siamese mix (now in my 50’s) They have all had their own distinct personalities. Most people call mixes colorpoints on this site. I love the look of the old type Siamese. If you look up the modern Siamese the look is much more drastic. So if you have always wanted a Siamese make sure what type you are actually looking for. My boys (siblings) just turned 1 yr. When I started my search for a Siamese kitten I realized what I wanted was the look (darker ears ,feet ,tale and face) . As long as both the mom and dad cat carry the colorpoint gene , don’t have to look like a colorpoint ,there my be kittens with those Siamese marking. I just started looking online at adds from individuals not breeders until I Saw what I was looking for. I’m not sure where you live or if that’s possible where you are? My thinking was there is all these kittens out there that need a home and I didn’t care about it being purebred. Now people will call kittens Siamese mix sometimes when they don’t even look like it or they look like it to varying degrees. So you just have to search till you find the look you want. It took me a couple months. I ended up getting two largely because of advice on this site It has been great! I think getting your cat a friend is wonderful. One of my boys looks just like a seal point Siamese his brother has white feet and a little white on his face. They both have my heart! One is a cuddle bug one is not but I love his personality too In my opinion if you are drawn to the look of a Siamese? Then get a kitten that either is a siamese or has the colorpoint markings Good luck Share pics when you can

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 year old siamese, who I adopted in November, so I bypassed all the kitten and young siamese. So maybe I don't have much to offer, but...Gracie is an adorable lap loving cat. She definitely prefers a human to other cats, but she does not cause any trouble to my other cats, just ignores them mostly.
She talks a lot, at bedtime tells me all about her day and in the mornings meows and meows to me, she has quite a repertoire of meows. I love it. She's pretty aggressive with her toys, quite playful for 12 years old! She's extremely loving- head butts, cheek to my face, pats me, sits in my lap...so maybe in 12 years you might have that :dancingblackcat::catlove::kneading:!

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 that would be the dream! Even though I love my chubby little boy, and he is affectionate in his own way, I do miss having a "conventionally cuddly" cat.

S Sylvia Jones I'm honestly more going for the character traits than the look. Hope I can get a cuddle bag as you have put it :D

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siamese are a blast! They are funny, friendly to just about everyone, and scary smart. They are a people cat and not so much a cat's cat. That doesn't mean they won't get along with other felines, they just prefer a person as their main companion. In that respect they may try to act a little bossy, (especially males) around other cats. Yes, they can talk non-stop with a distinctively funny but annoying meow, (although it seems as though that is getting bred out of them more and more).

I don't know your kitty but I don't think a Siamese will stress him out. Their bark is worse than their bite. :)
Thanks, that sounds reassuring! :D I was actually wondering if I should get a boy or a girl. I was leaning more towards a girl, I guess two boys would have a harder time getting along? (even though Marx is neutered, and the new kitten will be too). Is there any difference in behaviour connected to their sex?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that sounds reassuring! :D I was actually wondering if I should get a boy or a girl. I was leaning more towards a girl, I guess two boys would have a harder time getting along? (even though Marx is neutered, and the new kitten will be too). Is there any difference in behaviour connected to their sex?
There have been people who have complained about male Siamese- saying that they become mean- but I have never had that problem. My mother had a purebred female Siamese, named Koko-San, and she was so smart and very sweet. My three Siamese males were also very smart and loyal, but rambunctious as all get out. I do think the males try to play king of the hill. They are the royal cat of Siam after all. :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has always had 2 male cats (not the same cats but when one passed getting another male, all neutered as kittens) for decades with no problems at all, beyond some usual arguments and cat behavior. But none were siamese.

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a little update. This was positively one of the best decisions ever. It's been less than a week since we brought her home and the two of them are inseparable!