My boys refuse to be brushed

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My kit-cats are refusing to be brushed. Boogie has thrown up hairballs, which I know is painful, but whenever I try to brush either Boogie or Gandalf, they will run away and hiss at me.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start by associating the brush with pleasant stuffs. Leave the brush out all day so they can check it out, sniff it, and generally understand that the brush is not a threat. 

Then begin by holding the brush every time you play with them or feed them. Don't do anything with it; just hold it. The idea here is to get them to think that holding brush = eat or play. 

Do this over several weeks. 

Once they began to associate the brush with good things (if they run to you, or show interest when you take out the brush, you know you've gotten there), start by brushing them while feeding/throwing treats. Bit by bit. If they resist, let them go, you're done. Try again later.

Keep doing this, and eventually they'll look forward to brushings. The idea is baby steps. Tiny, tiny baby steps toward your ultimate goal.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Start by associating the brush with pleasant stuffs. Leave the brush out all day so they can check it out, sniff it, and generally understand that the brush is not a threat. 

Then begin by holding the brush every time you play with them or feed them. Don't do anything with it; just hold it. The idea here is to get them to think that holding brush = eat or play. 

Do this over several weeks. 

Once they began to associate the brush with good things (if they run to you, or show interest when you take out the brush, you know you've gotten there), start by brushing them while feeding/throwing treats. Bit by bit. If they resist, let them go, you're done. Try again later.

Keep doing this, and eventually they'll look forward to brushings. The idea is baby steps. Tiny, tiny baby steps toward your ultimate goal.
Good tips! I did the same with my cat as she didn't like to be groomed at first either.

Started by having the brush on the floor, with a few treats beside it. Then I would brush her, just a couple of strokes at a time, all the while giving her treats/praise and talking softly to her. I was able to do longer periods of time after a few weeks of this. She now loves to be groomed, and she still gets 2 treats at the end for bring such a good kitty :)

It's all about baby steps. and letting them know that it's a good thing! Best of luck :)

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush my big boys back when he is eating breakfast. He purrs up a storm. I cannot get brush near him any other time, he was feral.[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brush my big boys back when he is eating breakfast. He purrs up a storm. I cannot get brush near him any other time, he was feral.[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji] 
I never thought of that. I thought they wanted to be left alone, but I'll try it. Thanks!