My boy threw up a worm... ( safest deworm brand? )

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
I thought he was cleared since he's only thrown up 5 times since we got him almost year ago. But he threw up a worm this morning... I'm shook.

I've read far too many horror stories about people buying random dewormers and them harming their babies so I figured I'd ask here for what dewormer works safest and best for you? My boys 12 pounds and one year old next month and pretty sturdy but I'd like to be as careful as possible.
It's not the easiest for me to get to the vet at the moment so I'd like to try and treat it at home but if its too risky to do myself I'd try my best to get him there.
Please let me know... heh... I've never had to deworm a cat before.

Ah i forgot to mention it appeared to be a round worm. He threw up a dead one late last year and I figured that was due to adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar to his water and clearing out the last of them but I guess not.

I emailed his vet about it but it's the weekend of course and I get so nervous when he doesn't feel good

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've always used Advantage. My mum and sister get a liquid from the vet to keep on hand as they have/had barns and their cats ate live prey. I'm not sure the brand of it, but they've had no issues with it. Our childhood cat was dewormed frequently and lived into the 20s. Intolerances to things are really cat specific. (Plus, keep in mind if it worked without issue for people they aren't likely to be on the internet talking about it. Internet reviews can be skewed to the negative)

I would never use any Hartz dewormers or flea medicine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
I've always used Advantage. My mum and sister get a liquid from the vet to keep on hand as they have/had barns and their cats ate live prey. I'm not sure the brand of it, but they've had no issues with it. Our childhood cat was dewormed frequently and lived into the 20s. Intolerances to things are really cat specific. (Plus, keep in mind if it worked without issue for people they aren't likely to be on the internet talking about it. Internet reviews can be skewed to the negative)

I would never use any Hartz dewormers or flea medicine.
Thank you! I think thats what the vet originally dewormed him with on his first visit. I emailed them so I'm sure I could get it through them as well but I might not hear back until monday x.x even getting a deworm shipped wouldn't arrive until monday at the earliest so I wouldn't want him to wait much longer. Hes been crying the last few hours and threw up a few more I feel absolutely awful I didn't know he had worms... Hes suddenly been eating more these last few weeks so I shouldve thought about it...

And yes I heard such horrible stories about Hartz. I'll never buy a single thing from Hartz brand... I heard a lady lost her dog to their shampoo.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! I think thats what the vet originally dewormed him with on his first visit. I emailed them so I'm sure I could get it through them as well but I might not hear back until monday x.x even getting a deworm shipped wouldn't arrive until monday at the earliest so I wouldn't want him to wait much longer. Hes been crying the last few hours and threw up a few more I feel absolutely awful I didn't know he had worms... Hes suddenly been eating more these last few weeks so I shouldve thought about it...

And yes I heard such horrible stories about Hartz. I'll never buy a single thing from Hartz brand... I heard a lady lost her dog to their shampoo.
It happens ❣ is there an emergency vet in your area? You may be able to talk to them. If he's throwing up a lot, I'm not sure if waiting out the weekend will be comfortable for either of you.

Yes I've heard bad things about Hartz. I don't even buy their toys. Just no trust in the brand...