My Blue Eyed Boy

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Albert was a kitten I rescued from a feral colony. If he had lived he would have turned 11 this year, but I lost Albert a few days ago.
Albert70.jpg

Albert and his sister Sophie turned up at my house because I was feeding all the strays in the neighbourhood. I had TNR'd most of the colony, but the female cats I hadn't managed to trap yet all had a final litter of kittens, so there were 4 litters in total that spring. Three of the mother cats came every day to be fed so it was pretty easy to coax their kittens inside and start socializing them. Albert and Sophie's mother came from a farm a few streets away. She wasn't a daily visitor so it took a little longer for her kittens to find their way over to me.
SophieAlbert2.jpg

Sophie was pretty friendly from the start. I could have easily rehomed her, but Albert was more skittish. I didn't want to split them up, so I kept them both and Sophie helped me persuade Albert to come indoors.
Albert1.jpg

At about the same time I got one of the big, feral toms neutered and brought him indoors too. Like most older neutered males, Gin Kun was very gentle with the kittens. It wasn't until I saw Gin and Albert sleeping together that I realized Gin must be his father. They had the same face.
AlbertGin1.jpg

I think Albert enjoyed living with his father, sister and all of our other cats. He had a big outdoor enclosure surrounded by woods and was free to come in and out of the house as he pleased. He was always pretty healthy, but about 18 months ago I noticed that he was starting to lose weight. We had him treated for a gum infection, but even though he got his appetite back he kept getting thinner. Then we had some blood tests done and found out that Albert was FIV+ and also that he was starting to suffer from kidney failure.

We changed his diet and got him on medication. This time last year I thought we might lose him because he stopped eating, but a few days of syringe feeding brought him back. I knew it wasn't a cure, but I'm glad he managed to enjoy his time with us for a little longer.
Albert77.jpg

He had a good summer, sun bathing on his favourite log and hanging out with his sister.
Albert54.jpg

He had a few rough days, but I'd always manage to nurse him back to health and encourage him to eat again. He was still as handsome as ever.
SophieAlbert15.jpg

About a week ago he stopped eating on his own. Usually a few days of syringe feeding would perk him back up, but this time it was different. He wouldn't swallow, he didn't even want water, the little I did manage to force down him he threw back up. We took him to the vet on the 16th. They told us he was in end stage kidney failure and there was nothing else we could do. They gave him fluids through a drip and injections of anti-nausea meds, but warned us he probably only had a few more weeks at the most.

Sadly, he didn't even have that. Albert passed away later that night.
Albert83.jpg

Albert, sweet boy, please forgive me. You suffered horribly in the end and I always promised you I would spare you that. I let you down. I should have asked the vet to help you pass that morning and not put you through more injections and drips. I didn't realise how bad things were. I didn't realise how little time was left.

I know you had a good life and I'm trying to focus on all the happy memories I have of you. It's just that right now all I can think of is the way you died. It's over shadowing everything else and I'm struggling to move past that.

Forgive me Albert, you deserved so much better than I gave you.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh Laura, I'm weeping. You really, really did give him your all. We all feel guilt, for some reason, usually misplaced, and it really is in this case. He went when the time was right, and was truly blessed to have had you, as you were to have shared his life.
Sending love .

RIP Albert
:greenpaw:.:bluebutterfly:.:rbheart:.:bluebutterfly:.:bluepaw:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Norachan Norachan , you didn't let him down at all. He got to come home and die on his own terms, in the place he loved. Surounded by all that love. It sounds like when you brought him home, he decided then and there, here is the place I love.......
Of course you feel guilt and doubt, it always accompanies grief. You care for so many, there are bound to be more deaths too. Each one a blow to the soul, it never gets easier to accept. Age and death are two things we absolutely have no control over, they come for us all...
You will always have a connection to that precious boys' soul. He will always be near and bringing you comfort with your memories of the past. You gave him ten years of what he wanted most in life, a home, care and someone to love him. He was in your life for a reason, and that reason was love. Use his legacy and open your heart to more love. That is what he gave you. Go forward and live your life as you would have wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go, he would want no less because that is what we all want for our loved ones. That is love.
I use this quote as a mantra in times like these, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
Please accept my condolences, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I will pray for that sweet boys' soul and for you to find peace in your heart. He is at peace because he holds your love. Remember to breathe, try not to hold all that pain inside, and take each day as it comes. One day at a time.......RIP precious Albert. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You didn't let him down. You did the best for him with the information you had at the time. Even if you had been able to help him transition, you probably would have second guessed the timing of that too. You loved him, so of course you didn't do anything poorly on purpose. I wish the guilt and second-guessing didn't come along with this, but I know it happens a lot. Like you said, just try to focus on the life, not the death. There's no way to say Albert could have ever had anything better than what you gave him. His story and pictures are beautiful, and it's easy to see he had a wonderful life.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You didn't let him down. You did the best for him with the information you had at the time. Even if you had been able to help him transition, you probably would have second guessed the timing of that too.
This is so well said, and so true.

You gave him such a good life, Laura. He was a beautiful boy, well loved by his kitty and human families. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet Albert. :rbheart:

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As others have already said, you did not let Albert down. End of life decisions are the worst part of having pets, and it is so hard to get the timing exactly right. Animals, however, would never begrudge you for things you get wrong, and you must remember that you did your level best for him based on the information you had.

No matter how many we have, losing a pet is never easy, but in a way, we don't lose them. They live on in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Having lost my beloved dog last year, I know that it is horrible at first, and so, so hard to think about anything but the end. I admire you for standing up to the negative emotions and making a positive post about this handsome boy's life. In time, I am sure that you will heal, so that when you think of Albert, you will think of the good times. His final illness was only brief compared to the long and happy life you gave him - a life which, as a feral born kitten, he would not otherwise have had. Thanks to you, he knew warmth and love and kindness. And I am sure that he was happy.
RIP Albert. You will always be loved. :angelcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a beautiful blue eyed boy. I'm so sorry he's gone, but he knew he was loved, and you should not feel guilty. There are so many ups and downs with kidney disease that it's really impossible to know when the end is near. Numbers don't always tell the entire story. One of my kidney cats was in stage 4 by the numbers, but was eating really well and the Vet was shocked at how bad her numbers were since she didn't act sick at all. (and she didn't die from kidney disease).

My heart is aching for you :hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Norachan Norachan , you didn't let him down at all. He got to come home and die on his own terms, in the place he loved. Surounded by all that love. It sounds like when you brought him home, he decided then and there, here is the place I love.......
Of course you feel guilt and doubt, it always accompanies grief. You care for so many, there are bound to be more deaths too. Each one a blow to the soul, it never gets easier to accept. Age and death are two things we absolutely have no control over, they come for us all...
You will always have a connection to that precious boys' soul. He will always be near and bringing you comfort with your memories of the past. You gave him ten years of what he wanted most in life, a home, care and someone to love him. He was in your life for a reason, and that reason was love. Use his legacy and open your heart to more love. That is what he gave you. Go forward and live your life as you would have wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go, he would want no less because that is what we all want for our loved ones. That is love.
I use this quote as a mantra in times like these, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
Please accept my condolences, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I will pray for that sweet boys' soul and for you to find peace in your heart. He is at peace because he holds your love. Remember to breathe, try not to hold all that pain inside, and take each day as it comes. One day at a time.......RIP precious Albert. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
I wholeheartedly agree with every word. Norachan Norachan please be kind to yourself. If Albert could say anything to you right now, I believe it would be to tell you how much he loves you. He always did and always will. He would reassure you that you gave him a wonderful life full of love, friendship and happiness. He passed where he wanted to. In the home he loved surrounded by those he loved. Rest in peace dear Albert. You will always be loved and never forgotten. :rbheart:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't let him down. You did the best for him with the information you had at the time. Even if you had been able to help him transition, you probably would have second guessed the timing of that too. You loved him, so of course you didn't do anything poorly on purpose. I wish the guilt and second-guessing didn't come along with this, but I know it happens a lot. Like you said, just try to focus on the life, not the death. There's no way to say Albert could have ever had anything better than what you gave him. His story and pictures are beautiful, and it's easy to see he had a wonderful life.
I couldn't put it any better than this, Norachan Norachan . All the hugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My dear friends, thank you all.

I was scared to come back and read the replies to this thread but you've all said such lovely things and, even though I'm in tears, I feel comforted. I really appreciate that so many people have acknowledged Albert's life and the fact that he is no longer in the world. That means so much to me.

I'm still processing what happened and carrying a lot of guilt, but I know it's important to take time to work these things through. Thank you all for your support.

. Use his legacy and open your heart to more love
I think this is what I needed to hear more than anything. Thank you.

:hugs:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss and pain. Albert was just beautiful. There is no way of knowing he was near the end. You were trying to make him feel better by giving him a drip. My cat was also given fluids just two days before we let him pass. Our Vet told us the drip helps with the nausea. Albert knew he was very loved And cared for. May he rest is peace.:redheartpump:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You gave him your home and you gave him your heart. He looks so content in those pictures.

For such small creatures, they take up a lot of room in our hearts. Albert is still there, Laura. :redheartpump:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Albert was a kitten I rescued from a feral colony. If he had lived he would have turned 11 this year, but I lost Albert a few days ago.
View attachment 468509
Albert and his sister Sophie turned up at my house because I was feeding all the strays in the neighbourhood. I had TNR'd most of the colony, but the female cats I hadn't managed to trap yet all had a final litter of kittens, so there were 4 litters in total that spring. Three of the mother cats came every day to be fed so it was pretty easy to coax their kittens inside and start socializing them. Albert and Sophie's mother came from a farm a few streets away. She wasn't a daily visitor so it took a little longer for her kittens to find their way over to me.
View attachment 468510
Sophie was pretty friendly from the start. I could have easily rehomed her, but Albert was more skittish. I didn't want to split them up, so I kept them both and Sophie helped me persuade Albert to come indoors.
View attachment 468511
At about the same time I got one of the big, feral toms neutered and brought him indoors too. Like most older neutered males, Gin Kun was very gentle with the kittens. It wasn't until I saw Gin and Albert sleeping together that I realized Gin must be his father. They had the same face.
View attachment 468512
I think Albert enjoyed living with his father, sister and all of our other cats. He had a big outdoor enclosure surrounded by woods and was free to come in and out of the house as he pleased. He was always pretty healthy, but about 18 months ago I noticed that he was starting to lose weight. We had him treated for a gum infection, but even though he got his appetite back he kept getting thinner. Then we had some blood tests done and found out that Albert was FIV+ and also that he was starting to suffer from kidney failure.

We changed his diet and got him on medication. This time last year I thought we might lose him because he stopped eating, but a few days of syringe feeding brought him back. I knew it wasn't a cure, but I'm glad he managed to enjoy his time with us for a little longer.
View attachment 468513
He had a good summer, sun bathing on his favourite log and hanging out with his sister.
View attachment 468514
He had a few rough days, but I'd always manage to nurse him back to health and encourage him to eat again. He was still as handsome as ever.
View attachment 468515
About a week ago he stopped eating on his own. Usually a few days of syringe feeding would perk him back up, but this time it was different. He wouldn't swallow, he didn't even want water, the little I did manage to force down him he threw back up. We took him to the vet on the 16th. They told us he was in end stage kidney failure and there was nothing else we could do. They gave him fluids through a drip and injections of anti-nausea meds, but warned us he probably only had a few more weeks at the most.

Sadly, he didn't even have that. Albert passed away later that night.
View attachment 468516

Albert, sweet boy, please forgive me. You suffered horribly in the end and I always promised you I would spare you that. I let you down. I should have asked the vet to help you pass that morning and not put you through more injections and drips. I didn't realise how bad things were. I didn't realise how little time was left.

I know you had a good life and I'm trying to focus on all the happy memories I have of you. It's just that right now all I can think of is the way you died. It's over shadowing everything else and I'm struggling to move past that.

Forgive me Albert, you deserved so much better than I gave you.
💞 Oh so sorry to hear. Don't beat yourself up, if you had know how short his time was you would have helped him pass. Sometimes the greatest love we can show them is freedom from pain and suffering. Which you would have done had you known. Albert understands and is watching over you all. He will meet you someday at the Rainbow Bridge.💖. 🥺😿💔🌈💓💗💝💕

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Albert, dream you deep. Your purr echos in someone's heart forever.

Oh, Norachan Norachan , I am so sorry! What a lovely cat he was, is and always will be. You know so well what I'm going to say, but I'll say it anyway. There is no reason for guilt on your part. Every action you took towards Albert was always with his good in the front of your mind, in the center of your heart. Everything Albert knew of heart, home, and love, he knew because of your great spirit. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Albert blesses you for your loving care, and he sends his love for you, now translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

As I type this, I can visualize you walking along, accompanied by so many little Love-shadows, all of the cats you worked so hard to give good lives to.