My Black Cat Has Red Fur On His Nose, Why?

ncioelpocoispro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, when he was little, it wasn't as proeminent as it is now. People would tell me it would fade away as he got bigger, but it only got bigger with him. I have never seen a cat with a red fur like that. What could that be? Also, he has two sisters who look like Siameses, but the mother and father are not. Can the siamese gene be passed down? They were born white and got darker as they grew.

The two last pictures are from the mother with each daughter.
IMG_20181123_141626858.jpg

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool! I wonder if he rubbed or burned his nose when he was young so that it grew back funny. Anyway, I guess it's just what makes him unique :D.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You can easily pick him among a crowd of cats because of his uniqueness. What a handsome one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes the siamese gene may be passed on, itself being a recessive gene. So both parents are carriers of the point gene. Typically 1 of 4 kittens will be point 3 non points. But statustics arent ironclad.

Also one parent perhaps is a point but this not very apparent?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm reading it correctly, the OP said the tabby point in the bottom pictures is the mama. So, yeah, about half of her babies would be pointed if daddy's a carrier. Were they the only 3 kittens in the litter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If two last pics arent the sisters but momma with sisters, so she is very apparently a point herself. The tabby no?

Thus the statistics with a carrier daddy becomes half half. With 3 kittens we cant get more even. :)

"Is precisely as in the picture". :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps the riddle here is instead at least one kitten should be a tabby as tabby is dominant. Yet I dont see any kitten being clearly tabby. Or?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yeah, solid has the same inheritance as other recessive genes like being pointed, right? So she should have had 50% tabby kittens. Well, that's statistics being statistics, I guess :D.