My Biggest Pain In The Posterior

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ironing. I hate it. I have to do it every week. No way out. Husband has to have dress shirts washed, starched and ironed. Anyway, generally I pick up one or two steam irons from the thrift stores because it is impossible to find one I like in the store.

In May, I bought an iron from Wal Mart. I liked the feel of it as it was not very big and heavy. I am a small woman and can't handle a heavy iron. Friday night I was ironing one of his casual shirts, yellow with sailfish on it, button up front, etc. He loved this shirt. The Shark fizzled, popped and the lights went out and the inside of the collar was scorched and my ironing board cover was scorched. The iron was burned out and would not heat up again.

I still had the receipt and the booklet that came with the iron. I called the 800 number and got somebody who was hard to understand. Basically they told me mail it to them along with $12.95 and they fix the iron. I said no way am I paying postage and sending money to fix a piece of junk. I want a refund and some compensation for me burned shirt. I got told "somebody call you back in 24 hours." Still waiting for that call. I took it back to Wal Mart and they refunded my money.

Tuesday, I bought an iron from Target. I have been all afternoon and finally got the ironing done, such as it it. Every iron I buy has problems. This one seems to heat up, steam good, then it cools off and you have to wait for it to heat up again. I intend to return it. So now that I am done with the rant part of my post this is the question:

Is there anyone on this site that irons weekly? If so, can you recommend a good iron by naming the make and model number. Please somebody help. I am desperate.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't iron weekly, so I'm not really sure how mine would do being used that often, but I have a Sunbeam, and I think it works great.
It's pretty light weight and stays warm the entire time I have it on. It has a dial so you can choose how hot you want it depending on the fabric. It has a steam button and a spray button as well. It also has a switch if you want the steam to be continuous or not. I can assure you I did not spend a lot of money on it because I'm cheap:rolleyes2:. It does take some time to cool off though, but It seems like I only have ever used it on the highest setting for heat, so that might make a difference.
Sunbeam, Classic Iron - 120Vac 60Hz 1200W
Model No. GCSBBS5806-033
PN: 160509
(not sure what the PN # means but I included it just in case.)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't iron if I can help, but I have a couple shirts that no amount of anything can get the wrinkles out. So I bought an iron at Target, and even the iron does not get the wrinkles out. I bought a steam iron, which also does not get the wrinkles out.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't iron. Well maybe about once a year if I really need to, like curtains or something. I just get everything out of the dryer immediately to hang up or fold. My bf irons semi-often, he's ok with it, so whenever he's got the iron out I'll sneak some clothes in that I haven't worn in forever because they really do need to be ironed after washing.

That said, we've had a T-Fal for several years after the previous one died after a bunch if years (i dont remember what brand) And the few times I use it, it heats up quickly and steams really well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
darkmavis darkmavis I never heard of a T-Fal iron. Where did you buy it and what is the model or serial number. I am looking for serious help here for an iron that somebody knows works well.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Rowenta iron that I've had for years that I'm happy with. I paid like $70 for it. The price of Rowenta irons has come down over the years.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't iron either, but if I'm planning to buy something, I'll go to Amazon and read the reviews on all the different models. You don't have to buy it from Amazon; that's just the easiest way to find a lot of detailed reviews in the same place. That can really help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took the iron back to Target this afternoon for a refund. I bought a CHI. I never heard of it until now. It is a bit heavier than I would like, but not bad. It was pricey, on sale $10 off, but I still had to pay $65. I have tried it and am shouting happy. This iron is worth every penny. The controls are simple to read and understand. The steam is adjustable. The settings are clearly labeled. It has a very long, heavy duty cord. The previous iron I purchased earlier this week was a 1500 watt. This one is 1700. So I am assuming heavy duty cord for higher wattage. I think I am in love.