My Big Baby Minnow

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! This is my first post on the site, so if I seem a bit disoriented, that's why! 

Minnow: (aka Minnowbo, Bo, Minmo, Minbo, Ninnow, Min, Mo, Mean-no (when's he's being mean), Memeow (when he's being silly), Minnowboy, Fatso di Catso, Chubby Bubby)

<<<this picture is one of my favorites! 

<<<this picture is one of my favorites!

For more pictures of Minnowbo, go here [x]!

Since we brought him in as a stray kitten, we have no idea what kind of breeds he could be. I'm thinking Maine Coon/Russian Blue mix or Norwegian Forest Cat mix. Either way he's beautiful, though he's super feisty. I taught him how to shake and high five, and we invented "The Curtain Game" together... He's a keeper ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Twinky was apparently a color point .   On one pic her fur seems rather dark.  Is that so, or just the light?   If the fur on body rather dark- What  was the exact color of her eyes?   And her tail, rather bushy or  tight, as most cats are?

Minnie, with his big posture, and medium hair, he has probably something of Maine Coon in him. But if its a granddad, or the other way aroun, he is of the natural stock from which the Maine Coons were purebred from, we cant know.

You must count him as a domestic medium hair, that is what there is to say...

And you are surely  aware a part of his weight is not just his natural broad bones and good meat, but also, an excellent appetite.  So to speak!

(my own resident, although he is supposed to be slender and gracile as his breed is known for, looks sooner as a high preg - but he is a senior citizen.  And also, he still at 14 manages to jump up on a hight table.  Which  young cats from some other breeds usually dont manage)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Twinky had the colorpoint face but a cream colored body with a dark gray, tighter tail. However, she was not a shorthair. Her eyes were a beautiful icy blue. 

Minnow has very long hair, like that of a Maine Coon. Are you sure he counts as a mediumhair? For example, reference my profile picture. His face is so fluffy that it looks like he has a pillow made out of himself! There are a few cats around the neighborhood with similar markings to him, but their hair is shorter. I'm not sure if they're stray or outdoor cats, as my neighborhood is very safe so lots of people let their cats roam. I plan on giving one a breakaway collar with "Owner please call (my phone number)" to see if they're owned. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Twinky had the colorpoint face but a cream colored body with a dark gray, tighter tail. However, she was not a shorthair. Her eyes were a beautiful icy blue. 

Minnow has very long hair, like that of a Maine Coon. Are you sure he counts as a mediumhair? For example, reference my profile picture. His face is so fluffy that it looks like he has a pillow made out of himself! There are a few cats around the neighborhood with similar markings to him, but their hair is shorter. I'm not sure if they're stray or outdoor cats, as my neighborhood is very safe so lots of people let their cats roam. I plan on giving one a breakaway collar with "Owner please call (my phone number)" to see if they're owned. 
Re Twinky, aha, not shorthair.  And apparently the point of siamese- type.   (when I saw what looked as darkish fur, I wondered if she was a siamese and burmanese point gene mix.  But its not so)  

So lets say, she was a  Birman  somewhat look alike, with her white socks.

If her muzzle were decisively longish and prolonged, we shall call it for balinese somewhat look alike.   I dont see clearly her face on the pics

Although most probably she was a colorpoint domestic.  Very nice!

Re Minnow,  apparently I didnt saw properly the exact lengh of the hair.  If he is longhair, so he is longhair.    :)

And thus, his possible neariness to a Maine Coon ancestor is  nearer.  But the answer as such is the same.   :)

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About Twinky: Thank you! I miss her so much, she was just a little lovebug.

About Minnow: Kind of unrelated, but is it possible for a cat to be allergic to a certain type of meat? Sometimes my 4 year old sister leaves pieces of sliced ham on the table, which he promptly gets into. Every time he's eaten it, he's had diarrhea for days and gotten it stuck in his butt fur. Gross, but true. Allergy or just coincidence?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

About Minnow: Kind of unrelated, but is it possible for a cat to be allergic to a certain type of meat? Sometimes my 4 year old sister leaves pieces of sliced ham on the table, which he promptly gets into. Every time he's eaten it, he's had diarrhea for days and gotten it stuck in his butt fur. Gross, but true. Allergy or just coincidence?
Oh, allergies to food arent at all unusual.  Now, ham isnt the most wellknown allerghy danger, its sooner fish, and also beef  (cow meat, possibly male cow?? ).

I believe wheat is rather common too.

So I would sooner guess on some sort of food addition, alike a coloring agent or a food preservative, common in ham, which is the culprit here.

But its not impossible he is sensitive to ham, either.

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see. As a behavioral question, my father works by selling shirts on eBay. When he opens up the measuring tape, Minnow comes running. Is there any reason he does this? He also will run to the bathroom when he hears the door shut and paw at the door until you're done, then when you open it he'll burst in and rub against you. He's not known for being very loving, so this is an odd behavior from him. The bathroom door is the one featured in the picture where he has his hind legs against the wall.

Speaking of that picture, Minnow HATES belly rubs. He'll attack you like crazy if you even try. So why does he lay on his back? It's always in random places. He also has a habit of attacking random body parts for no reason. For example, if you're sitting next to him and watching TV, he might bite your ankle. You yelp and move your ankle. He digs into your knee. Is he just a mean kitty or am I doing something wrong? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I see. As a behavioral question, my father works by selling shirts on eBay. When he opens up the measuring tape, Minnow comes running. Is there any reason he does this? He also will run to the bathroom when he hears the door shut and paw at the door until you're done, then when you open it he'll burst in and rub against you. He's not known for being very loving, so this is an odd behavior from him. The bathroom door is the one featured in the picture where he has his hind legs against the wall.

Speaking of that picture, Minnow HATES belly rubs. He'll attack you like crazy if you even try. So why does he lay on his back? It's always in random places. He also has a habit of attacking random body parts for no reason. For example, if you're sitting next to him and watching TV, he might bite your ankle. You yelp and move your ankle. He digs into your knee. Is he just a mean kitty or am I doing something wrong? 
Here it may even be love bites of some sorts.  although he is doing it too much.

My residents, especielly the younger one, do something alike that occaisonally.  Very gentle.  Although my wife tells he bites rather hard.  Although it MUST be love bites on her too!

Re the bathroom - he seems to be anxious that funny potentially dangerous place swallowed you, you being in danger there.  And thus, he is deeply relieved when you come out from there, whole and unharmed...