My beautiful cat was found dead in a neighbours garden this afternoon....I'm wondering what could ha

shellster180

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm utterly devastated but feel I need some answers.

Last year our snow Bengal willow was shot in the hind leg with an air rifle close by to our home.
It shattered her bone and she had pins in her leg for seven weeks. We went to our local RSPCA newspaper and the police but nobody was ever found.

Now this happened last summer. This summer she is found dead in a neighbours garden. She was absolutely fine this morning when we fed her. She had no sign of injury but had slime down her throat and mud on her tongue. She also had leaking excrement. There were lots and lots of slugs in the garden where she was found. The lady who lives there has been known to shoo willow off before . I'm not clutching at straws and blaming her but whatever killed her it must have been quick. I hope she didn't suffer too much...I hate the thought that she died alone too. I know she would have come home if she could. When she was shot she came straight home.

Can anyone help? I am just beside myself. My poor daughter who is 11 has taken it really badly.
I won't have her cut up and poked about so she has been buried. Thank god that she is now in peace.

RIP WILLOW XXX

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss. I would have a thousand questions too.

Could she have been poisoned? Sounds like she must have ate something...

Rest in peace sweet girl.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. Does your neighbor put down slug pellets? Some brands are absolutely toxic for pets. I imagine that's why you mentioned the slugs?
Poisons in the home
PESTICIDES

Insecticides (insect killers including ant and wasp killers) such as organophosphates and pyrethroids.
Molluscicides (slug and snail killers) such as metaldehyde and methiocarb
Fungicides (for treating fungal infections, eg. mildews, rusts, rose black spot) such as thiophanage-methyl and benomyl
Rodenticides (rat and mouse killers) such as brodifacoum, difenacoum, chlorphacione and coumatetralyl

Of these, rodenticides are the most common pesticides implicated in poisoning of cats, usually because the cat has eaten poisoned prey. Slug pellets are sometimes eaten by cats and should not be used where cats can reach them - liquid formulations are preferable.
The Perils of Poison
Slug pellets

Unfortunately, many cats are attracted by the taste of slug pellets, which are obviously very poisonous. Slug pellets generally contain a poison called metaldehyde, which acts on the nervous system and causes cats to become disorientated, to dribble, and become extra-sensitive to noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shellster180

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I do think that she was poisoned.

I will be making the necessary enquiries in the neighbourhood, because it is highly populated with cats.

It just seems too coincidental that only Willow was targeted. There haven't been any more reports of any more air rifle shootings in the area, and not heard anything about poison either.

I don't understand either how she could have eaten something else, as she was a really fussy eater, not eating anything but her cat food and biscuits and treats. She didn't even go for fish!

I am puzzled about the bit of soil she had in her mouth though.....it would certainly tie up with pellets on the ground. I can't cope with the fact that she couldn't make it home. she must have been in agony. It kills me to think about her all on her own.

My husband is not coping well at all. He was outside repairing his minibus when it all happened. He couldn't go and see her and say goodbye. I was the opposite, I HAD to see her, and I NEEDED to know what happened to her. He was really close to Willow, and they were always inseperable when he was home.

I guess we will never know what happened to her, but I fully intend to let the whole neighbourhood know that there maybe some poison around. She is at peace now, nobody can hurt her any more, and she will be running around in cat heaven, giving some other angel cats a run for their money.

Sleep tight little one xxxx

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say only Willow was targeted, are you implying the slug poison was there with the intent to kill her specifically? I very highly doubt it. If slug poison can klil her, it can kill any cat.

I hope you will get the answers to all of your questions, even if it takes a long time, and getting those answers will help you heal. RIP Willow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shellster180

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here in England it is considered completely normal to let cats out into the natural environment. They have injections before they are allowed out. There are very few places where cats are kept indoors permanently, although there are some. It would also be considered cruel to keep them indoors when they are outdoor creatures by nature. This is not my opinion, there are very good reasons for most people who keep cats indoors!!! It is just the way that our society is.

Since my last post some information has come to light about the neighbour who's garden she was found in.  Unfortunately without any evidence there is not alot I can do, but for a lady who has 24hr cctv on her property she never once offered to let us see the footage, let alone tell us that she has cctv!  What's more is that she still has her dogs running around in her back garden....ringing alarm bells again. Why would you let your pets outside knowing that another animal has died from being poisoned in the self same garden???

My husband has also told me he saw Willow only ONE HOUR before she was found dead. What on earth can poison a cat that quickly here in England??

There are also other possibilities of course....

The police have been in touch with me, and they have said that if any more information came to light to contact them. I will be doing just that!

My husband and I were only married 4 weeks ago and it should be the happiest time of our lives, but Willow was such a huge character, and was a major part of the family. Instead it is truly one of the saddest times I can remember....

Thank you all for your continued support and advice, it has really helped.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in England it is considered completely normal to let cats out into the natural environment. They have injections before they are allowed out. There are very few places where cats are kept indoors permanently, although there are some. It would also be considered cruel to keep them indoors when they are outdoor creatures by nature. This is not my opinion, there are very good reasons for most people who keep cats indoors!!! It is just the way that our society is.

Since my last post some information has come to light about the neighbour who's garden she was found in.  Unfortunately without any evidence there is not alot I can do, but for a lady who has 24hr cctv on her property she never once offered to let us see the footage, let alone tell us that she has cctv!  What's more is that she still has her dogs running around in her back garden....ringing alarm bells again. Why would you let your pets outside knowing that another animal has died from being poisoned in the self same garden???

My husband has also told me he saw Willow only ONE HOUR before she was found dead. What on earth can poison a cat that quickly here in England??

There are also other possibilities of course....

The police have been in touch with me, and they have said that if any more information came to light to contact them. I will be doing just that!

My husband and I were only married 4 weeks ago and it should be the happiest time of our lives, but Willow was such a huge character, and was a major part of the family. Instead it is truly one of the saddest times I can remember....

Thank you all for your continued support and advice, it has really helped.
I have a friend in England who has a Maine Coon.  She lets him out on a harness, leash and lead.  She only allows him to enjoy her back garden and nowhere else.  She found out after a similar tragedy how dangerous it is for cats to be outside and allowed to roam free with her previous cat. 

The thing about it is, without an autopsy you may never know.  Plus, it can yield results but there can be many explanations and it's not fair to point fingers.  I know you're upset and you have every right to be.  But, let this be a life lesson for you with your next cat.... Take the example of my friend.  She uses her clothesline as the lead and attatches Leo's harness on it. If you feel they must be outside, make it as safe as possible.  The main reason is, if your cat is on someone else's property and they injure or kill her, there isn't a whole lot you can do.  She is at their mercy and some people out there are very cruel to cats and animals in general. 

I wish I could help with some answers but there are so many possibilities.  I do understand how things are in England and you are right.  But when you feel ready for another kitty and some healing, please, please consider all you've been through and do all you must to ensure the new kitties safety and happiness.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss :(
It's even harder whwn you don't have any answers:(
I just lost my little boy kitten today to FiP. Here's to hoping you get some answers.

daddyincr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
amazing how cruel so called evolved humans can be. how can anyone do harm to cats and dogs without at least a threat, and we know cats never offer a threat.

sorry sorry sorry.

this is one reason i never let my cats out of the house. way too many dangers in the street.