My baby Skittish

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn’t seem at all normal to me. I’d be worried for that puppy, too, which, if it doesn’t itself get killed will now be trained to be yet another killer. Can the SPCA or any local animal cruelty group help you with this? I would keep calling the pound when their dogs get loose, that’s a start, anyway— and gives you a buffer. I wonder if warning others via, say, Nexdoor might help?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems very unsettling and uncaring. Definitely call the pound EVERY time you see the dogs loose and ask your neighbors to do so too. No one could pay the fines forever. I'm so sorry......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doesn’t seem at all normal to me. I’d be worried for that puppy, too, which, if it doesn’t itself get killed will now be trained to be yet another killer. Can the SPCA or any local animal cruelty group help you with this? I would keep calling the pound when their dogs get loose, that’s a start, anyway— and gives you a buffer. I wonder if warning others via, say, Nexdoor might help?
Thank you, it is so strange to me. Yes, that’s exactly what I thought. If this puppy isn’t killed, then it will grow up to be aggressive and pitbulls already have a bad name. They are highest on the list for dog attacks. All the animal shelter can do is fine them for not having them properly leashed. My parents and grandma are going to call each time any of the dogs get loose. I’ve already posted on Facebook, told my friends, and will continue to post. I believe I’m also going to report them to the animal shelter because the way they treat their animals isn’t right. You know how you can get bad feelings about people? They give off bad vibes, and have since they first moved in. When we visited for Christmas, I went outside with Skit and got scared to walk to the car because I seen the dogs tied up outside. I remember looking down at Skit and thinking, “they’re not mean, right?” Little did I know not even 3 months later they would kill Skit. It is scary. The cop said it doesn’t seem right to him that they got another dog right after this happened, in fact, he said this is the last thing they should’ve done. My mom said he looked concerned.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems very unsettling and uncaring. Definitely call the pound EVERY time you see the dogs loose and ask your neighbors to do so too. No one could pay the fines forever. I'm so sorry......
It is very unsettling. I honestly wish they never moved in! They do not seem like good people, especially the way my parents have heard them talk to their animals. I do not trust them. We will call the pound every time we see them. I’m saddened that more can’t be done. There used to be a lot of stray cats around the area as well. My grandma lives in the next house over by this neighbor, and she used to have a little black cat that would come visit her. There is only 1 stray now. The pound has not been making any trips around their area. I have a sickening feeling that their dogs have something to do with this. I just tried to believe it wasn’t true, but now that this has happened to Skit, it’s all I’m thinking about. They are dangerous.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
At least the cop expressed real concern, that’s encouraging. I know it might be difficult, but, if you witness something you might either discreetly film it, or install security cameras.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least the cop expressed real concern, that’s encouraging. I know it might be difficult, but, if you witness something you might either discreetly film it, or install security cameras.
It’s so funny you bring that up because literally last month my parents were asking me what kind of security cameras they should get because they don’t trust the neighbors, and the dogs kept coming back there with Skittish. They were worried about her at all times, and wanted to be able to pull up a camera to see her. I live an hour and a half away now so I can’t film anything unless I visit. My parents can film something when they’re home but my mom works 2 pm- 11 pm, and my dad works 5 pm- 5 am.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m reading more about huskies and apparently they’re extremely prey driven animals, and are notoriously known for attacking and killing small animals such as raccoons, possums, squirrels, cats, and dogs?! I did not know this. My aunt and uncle used to have a husky when I was younger, and I was scared of him because he would always bark at me but he was nice. He passed away when I was young. I never heard that huskies are known aggressors. I wish I had known this, so I could’ve warned my parents. Now it is all making sense… It wasn’t unexpected that this dog killed her like I thought.. it’s literally in their blood to do it. We should’ve kept her in the house as soon as we seen huskies, but we truly had no clue. I feel like I need to scream this to the world.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't know......there is a whole class of dogs known as hunting dogs or prey-driven dogs. Siberian Huskies and Boxers are two that are well known, but most terriers have an instinctive drive to chase and kill small animals, and Greyhounds are well known to be trained to chase down and kill coyotes on ranches. since most dogs are mixed, it is almost impossible to know what they are mixed with too. Some aggressive breeds are Pit bulls, Dobermans, and all guard dogs. That is why they are guard dogs. So since so many can kill small animals it is almost impossible to know what the aggressive dog is made of.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to put it out there that there are lots of love bug pitbulls out there.......... ones that wouldn’t hurt a fly. The big factors are training and whether the pitbulls is inbred or not. In this case this is on the owner 100% for not properly fencing in the yard. Maybe your parents can fence in their front & back yard so any dogs they get can be safe? I like the idea of calling animal control every time a dog gets free.

The some breeds having higher prey drive thing is real. My mom’s Maltese/cocker spaniel mix has a crazy high prey drive. It was hard to teach him not to chase the cats (the cats learned more to not run.) After 2 years he still needs to be redirected when he goes into hunt mode.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You didn't know......there is a whole class of dogs known as hunting dogs or prey-driven dogs. Siberian Huskies and Boxers are two that are well known, but most terriers have an instinctive drive to chase and kill small animals, and Greyhounds are well known to be trained to chase down and kill coyotes on ranches. since most dogs are mixed, it is almost impossible to know what they are mixed with too. Some aggressive breeds are Pit bulls, Dobermans, and all guard dogs. That is why they are guard dogs. So since so many can kill small animals it is almost impossible to know what the aggressive dog is made of.
Skittish was the first dog I ever had, and didn’t know much about dogs besides what my family told me. I knew the stereotypical aggressive dogs like pitbulls, dobermans, Rottweilers and I just went off that. Obviously I needed to be more educated. All I knew about huskies was that they were bred to be sled dogs, need lots of exercise, and are playful, stoic dogs. I never learned that they had a high smell prey drive! No one I know ever talked about it. This is when living in a small town is difficult. Not many people in my hometown know much about animals. I’ve watched YouTube farmers, and came to learn that livestock guardian dogs have to be trained not to kill birds, cats, or even small dogs. I don’t know why it never crossed my mind that huskies could deal with the same instincts

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to put it out there that there are lots of love bug pitbulls out there.......... ones that wouldn’t hurt a fly. The big factors are training and whether the pitbulls is inbred or not. In this case this is on the owner 100% for not properly fencing in the yard. Maybe your parents can fence in their front & back yard so any dogs they get can be safe? I like the idea of calling animal control every time a dog gets free.

The some breeds having higher prey drive thing is real. My mom’s Maltese/cocker spaniel mix has a crazy high prey drive. It was hard to teach him not to chase the cats (the cats learned more to not run.) After 2 years he still needs to be redirected when he goes into hunt mode.
I have personally met some very nice pitbulls. My husbands dad used to have one and she was an absolute sweetheart who wouldn’t hurt anyone, but her bark was strong and terrifying! She was a lot different than Skittish. With Nova, you knew she could really hurt you with that bite if she wanted to but she was calm and collected. It really depends on the owner.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that I’m thinking about this, I have had warning signs about huskies leading up to this like someone was trying to warn me. Someone had asked me a question about dog bites and attacks and I looked it up to see the statistics. I remember seeing husky, but it was father down on the list, and I was looking for the top 3. It never crossed my mind again. My husbands grandma had a small kitten. They live in the country, and got an adult husky. The husky ended up killing the kitten. This was last summer. I remember thinking, “why did they have the kitten around the dog unsupervised?” But now it’s making sense. Even my husband’s family just blamed it on the dog being aggressive, and that it must’ve been a bad egg. I agreed!!!! Not knowing that huskies have this high prey drive!! This is bizarre. This stuff was right in front of my face, and it never clicked. I forgot and when the new neighbors moved by parents and started buying huskies, all I thought about was I hope they get enough exercise. I had no clue about this. I really do feel like I need to try and educate others because there are so many other people that don’t know. If we had known about this, Skittish’s death could’ve been prevented. If other people learn this information, they will be able to save their pets. I wish it was mandatory to be educated on your animal before you bought it. I know so much about cats, but very little about dogs.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I’m thinking about this, I have had warning signs about huskies leading up to this like someone was trying to warn me. Someone had asked me a question about dog bites and attacks and I looked it up to see the statistics. I remember seeing husky, but it was father down on the list, and I was looking for the top 3. It never crossed my mind again. My husbands grandma had a small kitten. They live in the country, and got an adult husky. The husky ended up killing the kitten. This was last summer. I remember thinking, “why did they have the kitten around the dog unsupervised?” But now it’s making sense. Even my husband’s family just blamed it on the dog being aggressive, and that it must’ve been a bad egg. I agreed!!!! Not knowing that huskies have this high prey drive!! This is bizarre. This stuff was right in front of my face, and it never clicked. I forgot and when the new neighbors moved by parents and started buying huskies, all I thought about was I hope they get enough exercise. I had no clue about this. I really do feel like I need to try and educate others because there are so many other people that don’t know. If we had known about this, Skittish’s death could’ve been prevented. If other people learn this information, they will be able to save their pets. I wish it was mandatory to be educated on your animal before you bought it. I know so much about cats, but very little about dogs.
Yeah Nick lost most of his tail from a husky trying to pull him out of a tree and degloving the end of his tail. I asked the vet to save as much of his tail as they could. Nick is fine and all healed up but that husky is a cat killer waiting to happen.

Attachments

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah Nick lost most of his tail from a husky trying to pull him out of a tree and degloving the end of his tail. I asked the vet to save as much of his tail as they could. Nick is fine and all healed up but that husky is a cat killer waiting to happen.
Such a beautiful kitty! I’m so glad Nick is okay. I really never knew that huskies were like this, but they definitely are. I’m not sure if I can look at any big dogs the same anymore.

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost more than a few of my canine companions in my time and it hurts just as much as my feline ones, love is love. One of my ferals, Anna, was killed by dogs that got out, I was so angry, I'd probably have killed those dogs out of anger if I hadn't been trying to save her life, but it was too late.

Losing an animal to violence like that is a shock and awful and really cuts deep into your heart. Know now at least, she is in a peaceful place and playing with other dogs and no longer afraid of anything. I am still not entirely over Anna and it's been almost 2 years. It takes a long time to move past it.

And I'm sorry, I know how unsafe it can make everyone in the house feel. What makes it worse it's your neighbors. I'd take them to small claims court and sue for the maximum - loss of companionship, vet bills, pain and suffering. You have the police report and evidence, I'd hit them in the wallet sooner rather than later. Money won't bring your baby back, but maybe they will think about their security.

I am sorry for their dogs too. They are obviously not treated right. I have a husky and he doesn't go after smaller dogs or the house cats (he has a healthy fear of them from when he was a puppy) - but he will chase a feral cat, rabbit or anything else that runs, it's tough to get the prey instinct out of them entirely, but to be that aggressive says a lot about how the owner treats them and that sucks. I do hope they lose their animals (though I hope they aren't all euthanized).

Your neighbors sound like some old ones of mine. Petty, vindictive and selfish and dismissive of others around them as unworthy. Just remember, Karma eventually catches up to people like that.

Anyway, have faith, be strong and know one day you will see your baby again and a bit of them will always be with you.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like I should do a little update. We have learned that this husky is not full blooded Siberian husky, but half wolf. He got it from a breeder that specializes in wolf dogs. This past Saturday, the dog got loose again. It went over to our other neighbors house, picked up one of their pit bulls in its mouth, and broke it off its leash just like it did Skit. It carried it back to its shelter. The neighbors let their other pitbull out and the husky started fighting these two pitbulls. The husky ran away from them, and then attacked our other neighbors poodle. It then went across the street and attacked a third dog. The police tased and pepper sprayed this dog and it still wouldn’t stop. To tell you how bad the cops are in my hometown, they just chained it back up and that was it. Nothing has been done about it. It has now attacked 3 dogs, and killed mine. It feels like they’re just going to let it keep going until it attacks a person. It is absolutely bizarre that nothing has been done to these people. I am appalled.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is if this dog lived where I am it would have been shot already by farmers. Not out of a lack of compassion for dogs but for their own livelihoods. Thank you for updating us…have been deeply concerned. I know it is scary but nobody should have this much power over a neighborhood, or other people’s pets. Now is the time to band together against this bully, or you will be railroaded into silence and submission. I realize that’s dangerous, which is why I suggested organizing with others, be it you father’s church, Nextdoor, all the people who’ve lost pets, animal rights groups, your mayor. There must be some way of breaking this cycle of cuelty and brutality. Stand up (carefully). In the name of loving animals it is time to find a way. (I’m not scolding you here, just telling you you’re not alone, and this person must be stopped).