My baby Skittish

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this site is for cats, but I have been on here for a few years now and you all are so genuine. I just need to talk to someone. My parents just called me and said the neighbors big dog came over, grabbed my chihuahua, broke her leash from the porch, and ran away with her. They just found her and she is deceased. I am in shock. My poor baby, Skittish. She came to us skinny and afraid. She had very obviously been abused and was scared of everything. That is why I named her Skittish. She came to us in 2015. I tried my best to show her all the love in the world. I got married and moved away last year, so I have barely been around to see her. My dad works nights and my mom works days. She was alone most of the time, but my grandma would walk over and see her. She loved bacon treats, sneaking cat food, and laying out in the sun. She constantly gave kisses. She loved being held. She loved howling at the trains. She was so loved. I am heartbroken for her. The only peace I can find is that she is with Milkshake and Callie now. The neighbor says he is getting the dog euthanized. She deserved better than this. She had such a hard life, and all I wanted was for her to always know she was loved. I couldn’t help her when she most needed me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Skittish, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You did what you wanted to do. From the moment that you took her in until the moment she left This Adventure for her Next Great Adventure, Skittish lived, breathed and had her being wrapped in your love. She did know she was loved, always. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for your care and love, and she sends her own love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site is for animals that were so loved, any animal......You will hold the horror for a long time, but please don't let it rule your life. You were not there, it is not in any way anyone's fault but that dog that killed her. When dogs kill other dogs and pets, the next step is small children.
Her love will always be a part of you, love is spiritual, so eternal. She knows what you did for her and how much you love her, she will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. you gave her 8 years of unconditional love, you will be blessed for that.
I don't know why these horrible things have to happen, my heart goes out to you. PLEASE come back here if you need to talk, sometimes talking with those who understand a loss like this eases a little of the burden. Just know that precious little girl is at peace because she has your love in her heart. Take care of yourself, go forward into life and seek its beauty and more love because that is the legacy she left you. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. That is love.......RIP precious Skittish. You will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Skittish, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You did what you wanted to do. From the moment that you took her in until the moment she left This Adventure for her Next Great Adventure, Skittish lived, breathed and had her being wrapped in your love. She did know she was loved, always. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for your care and love, and she sends her own love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
Thank you so much. Love truly does abide.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This site is for animals that were so loved, any animal......You will hold the horror for a long time, but please don't let it rule your life. You were not there, it is not in any way anyone's fault but that dog that killed her. When dogs kill other dogs and pets, the next step is small children.
Her love will always be a part of you, love is spiritual, so eternal. She knows what you did for her and how much you love her, she will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. you gave her 8 years of unconditional love, you will be blessed for that.
I don't know why these horrible things have to happen, my heart goes out to you. PLEASE come back here if you need to talk, sometimes talking with those who understand a loss like this eases a little of the burden. Just know that precious little girl is at peace because she has your love in her heart. Take care of yourself, go forward into life and seek its beauty and more love because that is the legacy she left you. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. That is love.......RIP precious Skittish. You will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I do love her, I will love her forever. One day we will meet again, and until then she is protecting us on the other side. I will come back and talk on here. It is so hard.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was the neighbor dog a bit bull? My condolances.
It was a husky. Apparently came into the yard and just grabbed Skittish by the neck like she was a toy. I think what ended up taking Skit from this life was that the husky broke the leash from the porch with it still connected to her collar.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Skittish. Try to remember the good times you had together.
All the times with Skit were beautiful, she was truly a wonderful fur baby. Even though I have so many good memories, it’s hard to not think of what happened.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*This is incredibly long, and I didn’t mean for it to be, but I am feeling it hard tonight. It just feels good to type out my feelings. ❤ *

It doesn’t feel real that she is gone. Everyday I talked about her. I had seen her on my mom’s FaceTime just hours before this happened. I told her she was so pretty and I loved her. I had a harness for Skittish, but it had not been used in a couple years. She would press up against the porch steps and release her leash and get loose. That’s why we just stuck with the collar. I keep regretting that we didn’t use the harness. I know I didn’t cause this, but I feel like I could have saved her if she had been wearing a harness instead.

I’m heartbroken over the fact that I’ve seen her a handful of times in person since we moved. My mom told me that she fed Skit, gave her some pets, and then told her about how we’re moving back to our hometown so she’ll see me more again. She said she looked so happy. My mom went inside and then just awhile later it happened. I was looking forward to walking her with my daughter. I was looking forward to getting to see her multiple times a week again. I was so excited because my daughter was going to get to play with her in the yard. We’re moving back at the end of June. It’s not even far away. My childhood cat is still at home, but he is acting different because he knows something happened to Skit. My mom and dads house is not going to feel the same without her greeting us on that porch. I loved hearing her howl. I loved hearing her little bark. I loved hearing her feet scratch against the porch when she’d kick her little feet while barking. I loved looking out and seeing her sunbathing. When I lived at home it was so comforting to hear her at night. For 8 years she was perfectly safe outside, but of course the old neighbors moved out and new neighbors moved in fall of 2022.

I only have one picture of her and my daughter together and it’s of my husband holding my daughter and she was looking at Skit. Skit was always a very excited dog and she loved jumping on you. I was afraid she’d accidentally scratch my daughter so I never sat them down together to get a picture. I feel like an idiot. My daughter is only 14 months old. She will never remember Skit, but she loved looking at her.

Skit hated being inside, but during the winter she was always brought in. The fact is that a chihuahua, even though she was the size of a jack russel terrier, should not live outside. That was her home and she loved it, but we should have just forced her to live inside. I know she would have gotten used to it. Outside animals have such hard lives. Even though she had shelter and was constantly fed and watered, and was given love and affection, look at how she left this world because she was outside. She did not deserve to die like that. I know we don’t know the answers to these things, but why do bad things happen??? Life is so beautiful, but at the same time it terrifies me. One minute we can be here, and the next minute we can be gone. My mom said it literally happened so fast that it was less than a minute. My precious doggy just living her life one minute, and then in the blink of an eye she is gone.

I don’t know how old Skit was since she came to us already fully grown, but it’s suspected she’s around 10 or 11. She was living a good, old dog life. I am going to miss her forever. I believe when we get our house, I am going to make a garden and dedicate it to my gone furbabies. Each part will have a dedication because God knows they deserve it. Skittish Bloom was a beautiful puzzle piece to our family. I am so sad that she is gone, but I would be even sadder if I never got the chance to love her. My heart hurts, but so many times I cried with Skit and told her how I was feeling. She understood me and loved me. I am blessed to have known her, and got to love her. I am done for the night. Thank you all for lsitening

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry…think it is healing and that you’re taking the right approach by creating a honorary garden. I know there is one daffodil from my very first cat that still comes up, after all these years, and every time it does it allows me to embrace and enjoy her, with no more grief, just joy. 🌷

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question. The neighbor’s husky is still at their property today. It’s now been 2 full days since the attack. My parents attend church, dad is a preacher, and they believed the neighbor when he said he was going to get the dog put down. However, it’s still in the same place tied up. My mom said it’s still just looking back at their place like it’s waiting for Skittish. It’s obvious he played my parents like Bozo the Clown. Their other husky got loose again today. It is constantly getting loose along with their other dog. They are not properly tied up, but obviously they do not care. If their dog had been properly tied up, it wouldn’t have been able to get loose and kill my dog. It is absolute bullcrap. I am furious. I tried to get my parents to call the cops when it first happened, but they said they believed him. Will any action even be taken after 3 days???

I don’t really blame the dog, I blame the owner wholeheartedly. I don’t understand why this happened, and I don’t want Skit’s death to be for nothing. Some people really shouldn’t own animals. I just don’t know why this happened. Why did they have to move into that house? At first they only had a black and white husky, why did they have to get another? Why did it attack after it’s never been aggressive before? How is it that it was such a beautiful day today and my dog didn’t get to enjoy it, but their dog did? It’s infuriating and insulting.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
If your dad is a preacher, he has a lot of local power: tell him to preach. The congregation could rise up as one. I’m not religious, but this is no time to turn a blind eye. There must be a community example of what one would do in the Good Book. This is cruel, unfair, horrific, and could happen again. COPS? Animal Cruelty? SPCA? PETA? The Dog Whisperer? Otherwise warn anyone with a small, outdoor animal, with posters. The heartbreaking part too is these dogs are being trained to be killers…which is not necessarily something a dog wants, it’s what the owner emanates. What is next? Here is a moment where in the name of Skittish, you could save others.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your dad is a preacher, he has a lot of local power: tell him to preach. The congregation could rise up as one. I’m not religious, but this is no time to turn a blind eye. There must be a community example of what one would do in the Good Book. This is cruel, unfair, horrific, and could happen again. COPS? Animal Cruelty? SPCA? PETA? The Dog Whisperer? Otherwise warn anyone with a small, outdoor animal, with posters. The heartbreaking part too is these dogs are being trained to be killers…which is not necessarily something a dog wants, it’s what the owner emanates. What is next? Here is a moment where in the name of Skittish, you could save others.
My mom and dad know a lot of people, I’m hopeful something will be done. It is extremely cruel and horrifying. My mom said she believes she has some sort of PTSD from the event, and seeing how my dog looked when my dad found her. It upsets me so much. I definitely believe that if this dog killed mine, it will kill again. It’s bizarre to me that it came around Skittish before, and never did anything but this time it grabbed her. My dog was doing what she did every night for 8 years. If something came around the porch, she would bark at it. She would chase raccoons and opossums away. This is who she was as a dog. She believed she could protect us with all her heart, and she did for 8 years. She barked but would never bite anyone or anything.

I will get justice for Skittish. She did not deserve to die like that. It makes me so sad everytime I think about it because all I can think of is she was just being herself. I am just worried about my mom, dad, and childhood cat now. I do not trust these people. They are very sketchy. I know there are rich people in this world, but they bought that house out in cash- over $120,000. I don’t know if this is true, but another neighbor told us they saw their black and white husky grab a cat and attack it. They had to take the cat inside, and now the cat only has 3 legs. What if their dogs get loose and attack my mom or dad when they come home from work? What if the neighbors try to do something to my parents house? My cat lives inside.I feel like this is so much bigger now. I am scared.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always scary to confront bullies. Dig deep and find the courage—- be safe. Many other animals will thank you. People who are cruel often pass their cruelty on to others. Nip this in the bud, but my advice is get some community help to do so. This sounds like a team effort.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s always scary to confront bullies. Dig deep and find the courage—- be safe. Many other animals will thank you. People who are cruel often pass their cruelty on to others. Nip this in the bud, but my advice is get some community help to do so. This sounds like a team effort.
It is scary. These people scare me. It’s crazy to think, but when I lived at home I always felt safe because I knew Skit would bark if something came around. When I moved out, I knew Skittish would keep the place safe and would scare off anyone when my mom and dad come home from their jobs. I always worried about Skit, but I never thought an animal would attack her because all the other dogs around were friendly. Now that Skittish is gone, there is no protection. She was our guard dog, and now she’s our guardian angel, but mom and dads doesn’t feel as safe anymore.

I want something to be done. I am going to see how many supporters I can rally together.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom talked to a police officer today about it. They said nothing can be done, and nothing would’ve been done even if they called when it first happened. The neighbors would’ve been told to fix their dogs leash, and move them to a different spot. Legally, the neighbors don’t have to do anything with their dog. The cop told my mom that if the dog comes on their property again, they have the right to kill it, but my parents won’t do that. They also said to call the pound every single time any of their dogs get loose because they’ll get tired of paying $200 everytime their dogs get taken to the shelter. Also, after so many calls the pound will go to their house directly and check out the leashes and the dogs. Basically the only way we can get justice for Skittish is to keep calling the pound.

The neighbors did not get rid of that dog even though he said he would. In fact, they hit a new dog today. A pit bull puppy. They now have 2 huskies, 1 pit mix, and 1 pit bull. The cop did not like hearing that they got a new dog so suddenly. They are going to be patrolling the area more.

It’s very strange to me that these people would get a brand new puppy right after their other dog killed mine. Can anyone please tell me if this seems normal or not? Am I overthinking because to me it seems they don’t care at all and are making a mockery.