My Baby Boy May Have Fip

E_Kelada13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two nine month old kittens. Kali our female tabico and Kibo our little male tabby. They’re my babies and are the sweetest kittens ever. I even taught them how to sit.

My family went to the beach the 22nd through the 28th. On returning the lady watching our kittens reported Kibo throwing up each morning. We fit pieces together and realized we had seen Kibo eating litter on multiple occasions and his throw up was black just like the wet litter. After looking up why a cat would eat litter we were very alarmed and rushed to our vet.

Our vet has tested for multiple infections or viruses and all have come back negative. Multiple signs are leading them to believe little Kibo has FIP. His gums are pale pink so they say he is anemic, he also sleeps a lot and is not consistently eating. Also, the different antibiotics given are not helping bring his 103 fever down.

Kibo will have days where he will play with his favorite toys and seem alert and perky and he’ll eat a hefty amount. Other days he’ll sleep mostly and not eat much.

Is there any possible way the vets could have made a false diagnosis...they haven’t completely ruled out rare infections/viruses but they are leaning towards dry FIP. I don’t know much about FIP so is there any way they could be wrong? I understand there’s no cure but has anyone’s kitten ever survived FIP? Can someone please just tell me more about this awful disease?

Also what kitten foods (preferably wet) or food brands are super popular?? we NEED him to eat and he seems to not like any foods!!

oleander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat with dry FIP but I have had 2 with wet FIP. I hate FIP with a passion! I can't really give you much advice on what to do, but I do know there are other tests that can be run. I really love the Facebook group "FIP Fighters"- so much wonderful information, and some vets and researchers who are working on FIP in the group.

I am assuming your vet has done a full blood work panel? There are indicators in blood work that can help with a diagnosis of FIP. Unfortunately, it is still one of those things that you can never 100% diagnose for certain- but you can rule a lot of other things out.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is no single diagnostic test for FIP. It's a diagnosis you make by fitting a lot of pieces together. So, yes the vet can be wrong about the diagnosis and it's important to make sure you've eliminated other diseases. If you doubt the diagnosis or you think it will make you feel better, it's all right to get a second opinion. No reasonable vet will object.

I am not aware of any cat that got better from FIP and if that's the diagnosis I would not count on it. Better to enjoy your cat for as long as you can and say goodbye when appropriate than fool yourself with false hope.

Sending get better vibes to Kibo and stay strong vibes to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

E_Kelada13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never had a cat with dry FIP but I have had 2 with wet FIP. I hate FIP with a passion! I can't really give you much advice on what to do, but I do know there are other tests that can be run. I really love the Facebook group "FIP Fighters"- so much wonderful information, and some vets and researchers who are working on FIP in the group.

I am assuming your vet has done a full blood work panel? There are indicators in blood work that can help with a diagnosis of FIP. Unfortunately, it is still one of those things that you can never 100% diagnose for certain- but you can rule a lot of other things out.
We have joined the FIP Fighters and yes they’re great. Also yes, our vet did a full blood work panel. I’ve heard dry FIP is much more rare...

E_Kelada13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no single diagnostic test for FIP. It's a diagnosis you make by fitting a lot of pieces together. So, yes the vet can be wrong about the diagnosis and it's important to make sure you've eliminated other diseases. If you doubt the diagnosis or you think it will make you feel better, it's all right to get a second opinion. No reasonable vet will object.

I am not aware of any cat that got better from FIP and if that's the diagnosis I would not count on it. Better to enjoy your cat for as long as you can and say goodbye when appropriate than fool yourself with false hope.

Sending get better vibes to Kibo and stay strong vibes to you.
would you go to a different vet office for the second opinion?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

The problem wiht diagnosing FIP is vets can only test for the presence of the virus (caronavirus) that causes it, not whether or not it is actively causing symptoms in a patient. A cat can have caronavirus without having FIP. We have another thread about an older cat that explains this.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would definitely go to a different office. Vets in the same office can be to prone to agree with each other because they have to work together. You'll get a more objective opinion if you go elsewhere.

E_Kelada13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I would definitely go to a different office. Vets in the same office can be to prone to agree with each other because they have to work together. You'll get a more objective opinion if you go elsewhere.
thank you so much

E_Kelada13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

The problem wiht diagnosing FIP is vets can only test for the presence of the virus (caronavirus) that causes it, not whether or not it is actively causing symptoms in a patient. A cat can have caronavirus without having FIP. We have another thread about an older cat that explains this.
ok so if they have FIP they definitely have the coronavirus?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
OK so if they have FIP they definitely have the coronavirus?
Coronavirus is the virus that causes FIP. Usually it is harmless, which is why most vets are unable to give a definitive diagnosis based on one test.