My Baby Boy Came Home A Mess!

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My beautiful Kitty came home the other day a mess. He has multiple neck and head wounds along with a large lump near his rib cage. Does anyone know what could be causing this large lump? I worry about internal injuries. He's come home bad before but never this bad
IMG_20180207_154046.jpg

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are prone to abscesses after getting into fights - because their skin is loose and moves around, bacteria from bites and scratches from other cats can get kind of sealed in under the skin and get bacteria trapped in - causing pus to gather under the skin. These need to be properly treated by a vet.

I do not know what is causing the lump on your cat, but if your sweetie has been in a fight with another animal this could be the cause.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all for the advice! I feel bad because he was such a pretty Kitty and he is getting beat up all the time. Also I feel bad for him. It's not an easy life he is living.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But you can put a stop to his hard life by getting him neutered ASAP.
He is getting beat up because he is seen as a threat to other unneutered males, and they can do some very serious damage to him, they go for as much damage as they can do, vicious fighting and on top of that, because of this serious fighting and bites that draw blood he is left open to getting FIV and FELV, which is transferred in these fights among unfixed males, who are by far the major spreaders of these diseases.

Lump is likely an abcess, where he was bitten.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to get him neutered but I am unemployed and can't afford it. Even if I had the money I'm not sure if I could get him to the vet because he's a extremely nervous cat and I'm the only one who can handle him. He was a feral I tamed. Thank you for the advice I'm relieved to know that it is not a internal injury. If he really gets bad I will get him to the vet.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Middlesex, New York it's close to Canandaigua, the zip is 14507. Thank you! I would love to get him neutered.

trinmari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work at an animal shelter and see this stuff a lot with cats that typically roam around and tend to get into fights. Most likely its an abscess which can be painful if they are left untreated because they can rupture. usually the vet will clean them up and drain them because its filled with puss and bacteria and prescribe them some antibiotics! if you do want to let your cat roam around outside make sure he is caught up on vaccinations because this is how cats pass things such as FIV which would be an even bigger problem! its always better to be safe because you never know what stray cats around the neighborhood are carrying.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Why don't you just keep him inside no matter how much he complains? That would take care of him getting beat up. If you lived in CA you would not think of letting him outside because of the danger by coyotes. But you city folks think there is nothing that would hurt your cat and because he is a male he won't bring home kittens (no, somebody else will have that pleasure). Well, you have seen that there is danger besides getting a disease and being hit by a car. So keep him inside until and even after you get him neutered, you will both be happier. I guess I don't understand people living on the East Coast.