My angry cat urinated on me. Any suggestions?

kristinmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, male and female, both 2 years old, both declawed and fixed. I pretty much treat both cats like they are my children. They are inside cats but I let them outdoors pretty much whenever they want. My male cat was meowing to go outside last night and I kept telling him no because it was going to storm. I was sitting on the couch eating and he walked up to me, turned around and sprayed urine all over me. Obviously it was because he was mad at me. He also bites me when I do not let him outside. I called the vet and they offered no suggestions. Anyone have any suggestions to prevent this from happening again?

Should I keep them both inside all the time? Should I let him outside whenever he wants? I cannot let this cat run my life. Also, a few things have changed around my house, for example, I have a 3 month old baby.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat just simply needed to urinate. If you coudn't put him, then he needs to have access to a litter box. Not meaning to sound harsh, but why do you blame it on him being angry. He is just a cat, not a kid who understands when you tell him it is going to storm.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor cat had to go-not for nothing if he held it and does that often enough your going to end up with one BIG vet bill if he gets a urinary infection and blocks. declawed and going out are NOT a good combo-how is he to defend himself except running/biting?
at the very least give them a litter box

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawed cats should never EVER be allowed to go outside. Also, declawed cats can have biting problems as they do not have claws, and litterbox problems.
If your cat never did this before, you should take him to the vet at once, as he can have an UTI (urinary infection), and being male it can be dangerous.
Cats are not people, do not think like people, so no, he did not urinate on you because he was agry... not at all. He either did this because he didn't have a litterbox, due to stress or due to the fact that he is sick. UTI, FYI is usually the #1 reason, followed by litterbox aversion.
How many litterboxes do you have in your house? With 2 cats you should have 3.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I tried to convert an indoor/outdoor cat to indoors only, he would also come up and spray me when he wanted to go out. He's clearly telling you something - not sure if the emotion is anger or not. It's always easier to attach a human emotion to a cat when we don't know exactly what they are trying to tell us. Cats don't do things for their owners, they do things for themselves. So by spraying you, he is satisfying one of his own needs. It could be that he just actually has to go and is trying to tell you that. If he is angry, what did you do to make him so, and what are you correcting with yourself to make him happy again? Think like a cat.

If you want this cat to continue to go outside, since your cat is declawed, it should not be let outside on its own. Either buy a cat harness and take him out for walks, or build an outdoor enclosure for him.

A new baby in a house guarantees stress for a cat. Stress can cause physical illnesses, such as urinary tract infections. Ask your vet to rule that out.

Look into Cat Attract litter. It has an earthy smell (sort of like the outdoors) that draw cats to the box.

Btw, the cat that used to spray me would do so at night while I was in bed. I started a ritual where I carried him to the litter box before I went to bed and he usually peed there. Once I started to do this with him, he virtually stopped the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristinmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has access to a litter box when he is indoors, I have two litter boxes. He is indoors 75% of the time and has had no problems using it. When I called the vet he said it is not a symptom of a uti because they most often squat, not spray, when they have a uti or bladder problem.

Thanks to all who answered.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will make argument with vet cause I have had 2 sever urinary tract infection prone cats and BOTH sprayed-started off as a squat but lifted butt up. also if hes refusing to use litter go have vet look at his paws(id go to one who DIDNT do the declaw as to get a more honest answer) if the claws are regrowing it could be causing avoidance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristinmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thnks Catsallaround I will keep an eye on him and his litter box useage. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat's spray to mark their territory. He just loves you. Don't clean it off or you'll offend him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KristinMann

When I called the vet he said it is not a symptom of a uti because they most often squat, not spray, when they have a uti or bladder problem.
personally, a comment like this, no testing or anything, would make me switch to a new vet. they really can't tell if he has a problem w/o testing.
my male was peeing in random spots, so i took him in. the vet said 'it's probably behavioral', but agreed to test anyway - he had bladder crystals. if they won't test him, go elsewhere.
meanwhile - i agree, the Cat Attract litter can work miracles!

Originally Posted by Dave_PH

Cat's spray to mark their territory. He just loves you. Don't clean it off or you'll offend him.
i'm sure you meant this in jest, but it reads as serious.