My Aging "ferals"

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long post warning.

We have a total of 3 "feral" cats that primarily live in our backyard.

1. Vinny (B&W Tuxedo male who is always rusty orange) He is approx 15 years old.
Neutered 10 years ago as a complete untouchable feral. He has become very friendly. I can pet him, brush him, give him flea meds, etc. He doesn't mind being in the garage in the winter overnight if he's with his buddy Walter. He is VERY bonded to Walter.

2. Walter (White male) He is approx 10-12 years old.
Neutered 8 years ago as a friendly stray that seemed to be left behind by someone. He is friendly, but gets in fights w/ other unfixed cats - I believe he is the "defender" and protects his friends. Walter does NOT like being inside AT ALL. I've had to keep in garage for very cold winter nights and for a few days when he had an abscess from a bite so I could give him antibiotics. He cries and cries and cries to be let out.

3. Peek-a-Boo (black female) She is approx 6 years old.
Spayed about 5 years ago. She's the third wheel. Doesn't ever let me pet her. She comes for food - but takes off during the day. I want to trap her and bring her inside if she checks out okay by the vet as not having anything my inside cat can catch. But not sure if I could ever tame her. :/

Vinny has been falling apart recently. I don't think he can jump/scale the fence anymore (I see him squeeze under a hole in the fence to leave the yard), he can't hear great and now something has happened to his left eye. I do believe he has chronic feline herpes because he always has runny eyes and has periods where he sneezes for a few days. He was sneezing the other day when I noticed his eye, so I was hoping it was just a herpes flare. I started his Lysine powder, terramyacin eye ointment and fish mox in case it's bacterial. It's been 3 days and doesn't seem to be improving and I can't really see his eye because the 3rd eyelid is really up covering his eye. I don't know what to do. I think he needs to be inside. Here is where the dilemma starts.

I have an inside cat w/ asthma. I just can't expose him to feline herpes. I feel it's not right.

I have a very small house, so I don't have an "extra" room for him. Possibly the kitchen, but I think us being exposed to him in there poses a huge risk of infecting my cat inside.

I considered giving him the garage and installing a little outdoor catio w/ a cat door so he can still get fresh air and even installing a window air conditioner for real hot days (or he can just walk out into his catio)

Then my heart breaks that he won't be able to lay w/ his bonded friend Walter. I feel that is cruel.

Walter also desperately needs to be inside only because he is already getting sun damage / pre-cancer on his ears and nose. But he does NOT like inside.

I've also considered a cat fence. Where nothing can come in and they can't go out. I would have to have fence installed on one side where there is just a shrub fence though and the fence still doesn't keep them warm on freezing nights or out of the harmful sun rays because they are still in the elements. AND the cat fence is expensive I believe.

So, I guess I am struggling w/ what is giving them quality of life. The comfort of what they are used to? Or keeping them inside so they don't get hurt by raccoons or other cats or the sun but have them be in distress for being trapped or separated from each other if Walter isn't down for being in the garage forever.

I go back and forth with all these scenarios and then just continue doing what I am doing. I feed them, give them meds if I can, provide plenty of warm and places to sleep and let them live out there lives.

Any thoughts? I'm really struggling here.
Thank you in advance.

Kelly

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have thought of a 3 sided fence, or maybe some sail shades to make shade. Thx for taking the time to read

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think either a catio where all 3 live together all the time. You could maybe attach it to a part of the house where if they choose, they could come inside during bad weather. You could use a window or door as an entrance. If you do build a catio, there would have to be shelter where they would be completely safe during snow, rain, wind or storms.

Bringing them inside is still an option if you have the space. I moved last year and brought all 3 of my feral cats that had never ever lived inside a house. One was 9, one was 6 and the other 5. I also have 3 other inside cats.

The 3 feral boys started off at my old house in a room of their room. I had previously brought 2 other feral cats inside my house to live. These 3 did so well. They had each other. No one cried or tried to escape. The previous 2 I had brought inside, both threw themselves against the window and cried for days.

The biggest take is away, is that Walter may yowl and howl inside for a few days. But in the end, most adapt. I always use Feliway plugs ins, Composure calming treats or liquid, soft music and many of their items from outside.

Aging outside feral cats are very hard. There are health issues as well as predators. I hope you can find a way to keep them all safe.

Oh, btw, I used a mobile vet that came to my house to test all of the ferals for FIV and FELV as well as give them vaccines. It was so much easier than getting them the vet.

Thank you for helping these 3. Keep us posted.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Shadowsrescue,

I had a mobile vet come out last night. I was able to trick Vinny into the garage. He did so good. They did sedate him and gave him an exam. Unfortunately, the vet is fairly certain he has lymphoma. He has a huge enlarged node on the right side of his neck (which is causing his eye issue) and a lumps inside his belly area. We are heart-broken.

We didn't send him over the bridge yet, because he's still eating and doesn't look to be in too much distress. The vet told us to feed him whatever he wants, so we are going to spoil him with some chicken and salmon that he loves.
When the time comes, the vet said he could come back out and help him over the bridge :bawling2: The vet told us his age was quite impressive, being an outdoor "feral". He's about 15 years old and I have been caring for him for 11. At least I know when his time comes, he did not die of something preventable / treatable. Cancer is not something easily overcome, even under the most ideal of circumstances.

I just lost my Mom in May - helped her in Hospice. I'm just so overwhelmed w/ sadness. I do not want to say goodbye to my sweet, sweet boy. I think of Walter w/o his Vinny and I just can't stop crying. They are like Salt and Pepper, Ying and Yang, 2 peas in a pod. I'll have to stay strong for now. I can fall apart later. Thank you for your reply. :sniffle:

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to type *left* side of his neck. Same side as his swollen eye.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you kittykelly
I think a cat fence is a great idea, if you can't get these guys in the house.
then you can have some kind of shelter for them, and they would be safe from predators as they age, I wonder too what I will do when my street ferals get older.

I have a Feral in the house, she has a catio and one of those sunsail shade things
I would like to do the cat fence, hopefully some day, I can do more for her.
she does have access to a bedroom.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry kittykelly kittykelly I hope that you are able to give Vinny the care he needs. You have done so much for him in these 11 years. It is so hard to say goodbye to a beloved friend. I agree that Walter will be heartbroken.

Maybe that is the sign that it is time to bring Walter inside. This way you will be there at all times to help him grieve.

You are in my thoughts.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you W walli and shadowsrescue shadowsrescue
I think a cat fence with sail shades and access to garage may be doable. That way I do not upset my inside asthma kitty. Walter is huge and he can be kind of “catty” and I just don’t want him fighting with my inside kitty.

Im trying to find some hope - maybe the vet is wrong - maybe he got stung by a bee? Denial? Probably, but I can’t give up hope yet.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some more pictures so you can put faces to the names

Vinny
Walter White
Peek-a-boo (she’s always hiding and peeking out) lol

Attachments

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your a good mom! Give him lots of love, Will Walter go in the garage with him, While Vinny goes through this?
Let us know when you need help putting all the fencing together, people here have done similar things.

They are precious!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right to never give up hope. It's always a possibility. Just keep loving him and offering him as much comfort as possible.

The pictures are just beautiful. I have a bonded pair too and one would be completely lost without the other.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your a good mom! Give him lots of love, Will Walter go in the garage with him, While Vinny goes through this?
Let us know when you need help putting all the fencing together, people here have done similar things.

They are precious!

I may need some advise on the cat fence - I think that’s the best option, even if we lose Vinny. Walter and Peeky will still be here and subject to the dangers outside.

The garage is very hot, so I’m not sure if it will work. Maybe for the winter, they can comets through a cat flap (if I can make sure the cat fence will keep all other wildlife out - primarily the mean raccoons)

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right to never give up hope. It's always a possibility. Just keep loving him and offering him as much comfort as possible.

The pictures are just beautiful. I have a bonded pair too and one would be completely lost without the other.
Thak you. They have made our backyard so full of love. Can’t imagine it without their cute little faces. Walter is our sweet fat snowman. He’s the protector. I ann urea he will be heartbroken without his Vinny. I think he will be closer with Peek-a-boo though and bond more with her.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*i know he will be heartbroken (silly autocorrect) :doh:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a video using netting which may be the lower cost way to go
but there are other alternatives, You may want to start a new thread
about the cat fencing so others will see the topic for cat fencing.
I know there are some people here that have done some quite extensive cat proofing.

There are some rollers you can attach to the top of your fence also
but I think the netting may be the way to go, I heard recently that there is something called deer netting that if left loose cats won't climb it
I'm thinking about the area where you have the bushes, not sure if your cats can climb the bushes, Norachan Norachan has done quite a bit of cat proofing, I know that corrugated plastic is also cat proof, they can't climb it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the PVC cat proofing, he says he didn't spend too much on it
but you would have to be mindful of gaps, there are other ideas like this one
maybe you could combine the netting/pvc?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Vinny kittykelly kittykelly He has been lucky to have you as his protector for so long.

:hugs:

I think a catio would be a good option for Peek-a-boo and Walter. Could you give them part of your yard as their place? If you could make something with a roof so there is no danger of them climbing out, or other animals climbing in, and put some shelters inside they'll be safe and comfortable.

I've used nylon deer netting to make my fence, with wire mesh on the top. I have a lot of cats and a big area, so a roof isn't possible, but with only two cats a smaller enclosure will be fine.

A modified dog kennel makes a good shelter. Stand it up on some blocks so it stays dry and fill it with straw as bedding. In the winter you can slip a hot water bottle or a rice sock under the straw for extra warmth.

Button44.jpg

Something about this size would be fine for two cats. If you google Catio Pictures you'll find plenty of good ideas.

When I first moved my colony of 23 to this place about five years ago the cats spent the first month either hiding or trying to get out. (They were pretty feral at that time though)

Eventually they realised they were safe and that this was their new home and they settled down. It can take a long time, I think it's actually much harder on the humans listening to them cry than it is on the cats. Just be prepared for them to cry and try to escape at first, but keep in mind that you are doing the best thing for them. In time they will accept the new situation and they'll be much better off in the long run.

Some more pictures of my colony and enclosure here.

Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

kittykelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Vinny kittykelly kittykelly He has been lucky to have you as his protector for so long.

:hugs:

I think a catio would be a good option for Peek-a-boo and Walter. Could you give them part of your yard as their place? If you could make something with a roof so there is no danger of them climbing out, or other animals climbing in, and put some shelters inside they'll be safe and comfortable.

I've used nylon deer netting to make my fence, with wire mesh on the top. I have a lot of cats and a big area, so a roof isn't possible, but with only two cats a smaller enclosure will be fine.

A modified dog kennel makes a good shelter. Stand it up on some blocks so it stays dry and fill it with straw as bedding. In the winter you can slip a hot water bottle or a rice sock under the straw for extra warmth.

View attachment 296157

Something about this size would be fine for two cats. If you google Catio Pictures you'll find plenty of good ideas.

When I first moved my colony of 23 to this place about five years ago the cats spent the first month either hiding or trying to get out. (They were pretty feral at that time though)

Eventually they realised they were safe and that this was their new home and they settled down. It can take a long time, I think it's actually much harder on the humans listening to them cry than it is on the cats. Just be prepared for them to cry and try to escape at first, but keep in mind that you are doing the best thing for them. In time they will accept the new situation and they'll be much better off in the long run.

Some more pictures of my colony and enclosure here.

Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.
W walli Norachan Norachan What great ideas, thank you so much. I have lots of research to do. Unfortunately I’m busy tying to find my Vinny. He has not come back since 6am yesterday when I released him from the garage. He ate at that time and drank water, and left to the neighbors yard as usual but has not been back yet. It’s been over 24 hours and today is very hot (97 degrees). My neighbor did see him this morning, alive, but unfortunately scared him. We put water in both yards and are keeping an eye out for him. I’m so distraught.
Walter comes and eats and then just leaves (I think to go be with vinny) :(