My Adult Cat Started Playing With Her Tail

arleross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8-year-old Egyptian Mau female has never acted kittenish before. A week ago, she started playing with her tail, like a kitten. She tries to grab it and sometimes chases it in a circle. When she gets hold of it, she licks it for a few seconds and then lets it go. I examined her tail and found nothing out of the ordinary. Is this simply a new game she discovered, or can there possibly be a physical reason for this?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with a game she enjoys. And, I suspect, it's one she usually plays when you aren't home or are asleep. Be aware this game can include flopping rather hard on the floor. Don't let the thuds frighten you. Our cat chases her back foot, one and then the other, more than her tail.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep an eye on her overall behavior. If she seems more energetic, is playing more and sleeping less or if she is losing weight you will want to schedule a vet visit and have her thyroid checked,

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is either as K Kflowers has suggested (she's done it before and you didn't happen to see it) or there is some new sensation going on in her tail that she didn't have before.

If you keep an eye on it and nothing about her tail changes (scabs, loss of hair) then you might just have to wait to see if other unusual changes occur as susanm9006 susanm9006 advised.

A cat just starting to chase their tail at 8 years old is a little unusual. Could she be overly bored for some reason? Has she lost some of her previous entertainment avenues she had?