My adult cat has become unfriendly since getting a kitten? Please help..........

jez2k10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 7 year old male cat and when we first got are 10 week old male kitten he was fine. They used to play with each other, sleep together and even clean each  other then after a month or so the adult cat changed and became unfriendly to the kitten and my partner and I.

He changed from one of the most loving creatures I have ever come across. You used to be able to do anything with him, pick him up and take him any where, cuddle him, play together, he would be like putty in your arms and super trusting. Would run across the room to sit on my lap.

Now you can some times get him to relax with you and maybe sit on you but not for long before he will hiss and run away. Most of the time he wont let you  get close to him, he will hiss and scratch you. Hardly spends any time in side and dosnt play.

What can I do to fix this?

We already  show him heaps of love, greet him first and feed him first.

Thanks

Jez

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think the first step here is that he needs to be evaluated by a vet to make sure his health is otherwise okay. Oftentimes when you have this drastic a change in a cat's personality it is because there is something medical going on. Cats are amazing at hiding pain and this change may be his way of expressing that he doesn't feel well. 

Until you can get him in I would add a calming diffuser to the main part of the house or where he spends the most time just to try and make him more comfortable. These diffusers (also come in sprays if you prefer) emit a pheromone that helps reduce stress levels. If he hates going to the vet it's even a good idea to spay some in the carrier first to help mellow him out. 

So I would start there. If he checks out okay then let us know and we can start digging into what some of the behavioral causes may be and some solutions. My guess is that the new kitten is part of it, but given the fact that they originally got along and that he has changed in so many ways I doubt that the new presence accounts for all of it. How old is the kitten now? Is he altered? If not and he's reaching sexual maturity that may be a factor as his change in smell makes him more of a threat. So, if the kitten is not neutered then I would for sure be taking him in as well to get that taken care of. Also, from what you said it doesn't sound like any other changes have happened inside the home but what about outside? Do you have any new neighbors or are you seeing more strays in the area? The presence of new animals can sometimes cause changes like this as they become more territorial. Also, re-think if anything else may have changed inside the home that you are overlooking. Perhaps you recently had out of town guests or even moved some furniture around? Even something small can be very upsetting to a cat and can lead to a change in behavior. 

In the end, even if it's not possible to pinpoint the exact cause there are ways to help him feel secure again (such as increasing his play sessions and one on one time) but all this will be in vain if there is an underlying medical cause. So, get him checked out and we will go from there. 

Vibes that you can get him in soon and that it's nothing serious. Welcome to TCS! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jez2k10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooooooooo....... I have had my kitten fixed and just  a few days later the cats are playing again. The older cat still gives a hiss every now and again but I  think he is still getting used to sharing the house with the kitten. Over all things are looking much better.