My 9 Year Old Male, Neutered, Cat Is Making A Very Huge Effort To Get Outside Of The House Suddenly.

KC Mesander-Bock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has begun this only very recently, and we've recently moved to a new location with a lot of traffic and I'm concerned about him getting out and getting run over or sick. What can I do?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it all adults + teens going in and out or are there young children? If its all adults/teens its not *that* hard to learn to prevent. Just stomp feet loudly when leaving, and crack door when coming in, look, and if needed start stomping. Can also keep squirt gun on coat rack perhaps -- it would need to be *right there* and used consistently to have a chance of working. Air horn is another possibility, but neighbors :(

Cats get these ideas whenever they get them. Its not that unusual for your cat to suddenly have the idea and be annoying about it, especially if the weather is finely nice and there are new appealing smells outside. You can extinguish the idea with persistence, but it might be tricky if there are kids in the house.