My 8 year old newly adopted cat will not eat

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Monday, 7/24/23, I brought home an 8-year-old female dilute tortie that I adopted from a shelter. My problem with her is that she hardly will eat. Her foster mother at the shelter told me that she has been at the shelter for 2 months. Her human mother was elderly and passed away suddenly. She had a litter brother as well who recently passed away from cancer. The foster mother said that Rose has been very depressed and EXTREMELY overly shy ever since losing her human mother and brother. She is very sweet, and it breaks my heart that she will not eat anything during the day, nor does she use the litter box. At night, she will come out of her safe place and eat a little bit, some dry but no wet food, and then use the litter box. By morning, when I get up, I have to search high and low to find where she will be hiding. I have read that with shy cats who have lost loved ones, this type of behavior can go on for days, months, or even up to a year. I can work with her sadness, that does not scare me, it is her not eating that scares me. How long can she go on like this, not eating?? She will not eat temptations or Churus, what cat does not love those? I even tried giving her some baby food, but no-go. I live alone in a quiet house, with no other pets, I have all the conveniences, toys, cat trees, etc., you name it for her to enjoy. Rose lost her loved ones the same month I lost my cat, Katy to cancer. Rather ironic that we both lost our partners at the same time and now we are together. Please, I need how to get this sweet girl interested in eating again.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you leave the food where she is hiding? I would try not to interact with her for now. If she is in one room, I would close that room off so it will be easier to find her and it will make her world a little smaller, which she needs right now.

You might want to consider getting her a vet check. Although it will stress her.

Is she an overweight cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you leave the food where she is hiding? I would try not to interact with her for now. If she is in one room, I would close that room off so it will be easier to find her and it will make her world a little smaller, which she needs right now.

You might want to consider getting her a vet check. Although it will stress her.

Is she an overweight cat?
She is not an overweight cat, she weighed 11.8 lbs on Monday. That is a pretty good size for a female and I am grateful she was not a tiny little girl under these circumstances. I did have her in a closed-off room for the first 3 days and all she would do is stay in her safe place she chose for herself and not move until I went to bed. Yesterday she found a safe place in the living room and I would take my low bench up to her, sit down, and pet and talk to her several times an hour. She did not mind me petting her. This morning I put on Cat TV from YouTube and she was sitting in her safe place watching the birds on bigger-than-life television, loving it. I then made the mistake and moved her safe place out a little bit so that I could reach her to touch her, and off she ran. If she does not start eating better by Monday, I will call my vet.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she needs a little time she is grieving. When I think of cats grieving I think of children.. one minute they can be ok and the next they can be extremely upset and want their either space or love.. and I think you figured out that rose is the type to want some space.. being a shy girl doesn't help the situation either... she was probably around only her human mom as far as human contact goes so she is leary. And my cat won't eat any wet food, no churus, no delectables, no baby food, not even treats... nothing but dry food. So that could be her normal that she only likes dry food or it could be that she is just scared and grieving..
Also when I brought her home she didn't eat very well for a little while. If you notice that she is not eating enough in a 24 hr period call the vet and ask what you could do. I also agree that I think it would be a great start to get her a vet appointment just to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong with her as well.
Please be patient with this baby when she wants it give her love, as hard as it may be try to wait until she comes up to you..
Please keep us updated..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she needs a little time she is grieving. When I think of cats grieving I think of children.. one minute they can be ok and the next they can be extremely upset and want their either space or love.. and I think you figured out that rose is the type to want some space.. being a shy girl doesn't help the situation either... she was probably around only her human mom as far as human contact goes so she is leary. And my cat won't eat any wet food, no churus, no delectables, no baby food, not even treats... nothing but dry food. So that could be her normal that she only likes dry food or it could be that she is just scared and grieving..
Also when I brought her home she didn't eat very well for a little while. If you notice that she is not eating enough in a 24 hr period call the vet and ask what you could do. I also agree that I think it would be a great start to get her a vet appointment just to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong with her as well.
Please be patient with this baby when she wants it give her love, as hard as it may be try to wait until she comes up to you..
Please keep us updated..
I will and thank you for your suggestions. Not only is she grieving her other human mom, but I understand that she is also grieving her brother, who recently died himself. I will make that appointment with my vet as well. I need to be assured that there is nothing medically keeping her from eating.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will and thank you for your suggestions. Not only is she grieving her other human mom, but I understand that she is also grieving her brother, who recently died himself. I will make that appointment with my vet as well. I need to be assured that there is nothing medically keeping her from eating.
Yea she is going through a lot from losing her brother to her human and being thrown into a shelter and now into your house... that is a lot for any kitty.. but I think she got lucky with you because it seems like you already love her 😺❤😺
I think it is great you're going to set up an appointment for her.
You got this she just needs to realize that she is in a safe space not going to go to another place again and that she is allowed to grieve her own way and that she is loved. I really think she will start coming around with a little time. When you see her talk in a sweet calming voice to her but don't pet her. If she comes to rub up on you, you can put your hand down to her level and let her pet herself with your hand. This will help build up that trust and confidence.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not an overweight cat, she weighed 11.8 lbs on Monday. That is a pretty good size for a female and I am grateful she was not a tiny little girl under these circumstances. I did have her in a closed-off room for the first 3 days and all she would do is stay in her safe place she chose for herself and not move until I went to bed. Yesterday she found a safe place in the living room and I would take my low bench up to her, sit down, and pet and talk to her several times an hour. She did not mind me petting her. This morning I put on Cat TV from YouTube and she was sitting in her safe place watching the birds on bigger-than-life television, loving it. I then made the mistake and moved her safe place out a little bit so that I could reach her to touch her, and off she ran. If she does not start eating better by Monday, I will call my vet.
I think you are doing good. She has to have time to decompress and she more than likely will start to eat more as time goes on. Just talk to her from in the same room and I would sit where she can see you and just tell her she is a pretty baby in that sweet tone. Vet check is good too. Grief has no time limit for humans or animals. Just Love her through the rough patch 💜💜💜💜