My 7 Y.o. Female Shorthair Calico Cat Vomits

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

1. Please help with your expert opinion. We are going to the Veterinarian tomorrow, but right now, I am very worried. She vomits occasionally - about once in 2-3-months, usually it is a hair ball. A few months ago, she vomited without hair ball and the stuff was mostly liquid, a little greenish. I thought it could be grass that she ate day before. She loves grass and when I can get her clean grass I gave it to her. It now is winter in Southern hemisphere, very hard to find good grass. We moved to Uruguay 9 months ago. She did not like her new home and was not in a good mood for a long time but eventually she settled OK.
    She is very playful, energetic, loves to be brushed, etc. Two months ago, she vomited some liquid stuff, whitish or colorless. I immediately contacted a Vet by the phone, he said it could wait if she behaves OK. I did not want to traumatize her with the taxi ride, she hates travels. OK, I was away for almost one month, a good friend took excellent care of her, she was totally OK. I came back from the States August 22, and my cat was perfectly OK. Good appetite, drinks water, in a good mood, poops normally, once a day.
    THIS MORNING however, while she was playing in my bedroom, throwing things down, I thought it was a sound of her play. I checked what was going on. When she vomits, she coughs, but this time I did not hear her coughing. I found her vomit on the floor and took pictures. This time it is liquid, clear in color, with just a hint of yellowish. There is nothing solid, only watery and almost clear vomit.
    She was running all over the place, playing and talking with me in her usual demanding way - play with me, brush me, etc. Totally OK behavior. BTW, she vomited today before having her first meal, so I don't think her vomit has anything to do with her food.
    She is a 100% indoors cat, no contact with other pets.
    She had a very thorough vet exam end of November of 2018, before our flight to Uruguay. She was totally OK and healthy. It now is cold, so I am postponing our visit to the vet, but today I will go to the vet with the photos of her vomit and make an appointment for tomorrow.
    In the meantime, I need your opinion.
    What is your opinion? Thank you all very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does sound like it might be related to hairballs. You can try something as simple as butter/margarine and put it on your finger or her paw to have her lick it off. Or, 1/8 teaspoon of slippery elm added to her food. Some members also recommend canned pumpkin (no additives) to try to help their cats pass hairballs.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also put a small pea size blob of Vasaline on her nose or paw to lick off. It usually works for mine after one day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Frequent vomiting of clear liquid could indicate IBD or other gastrointestinal issue. Some vets can palpate the abdomen and detect abnormalities in the digestive tract walls and make a tentative diagnosis of a gastrointestinal issue. Further testing may be needed to get a definitive diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your excellent input. We were to a vet, she is OK, he says, it is NOT frequent enough to worry. Whew! I overreacted...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fenya7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she vomit or regurgitate food?

If it's the latter and she doesn't eat fast, or she doesn't overeat at times, and no hairball (very possible though.) Then I would suspect of IBS over stress or food intolerances.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Thank you Miss Clouseau. I spoke with our Vet, he says that she does not regurgitate often, actually it only happened two times in two+ months. So we will continue watching. Thanks for the very helpful info. Best from Fenice and Mom :-))