My 6 Year Old Suddenly Attacking New Cat After Easy Intro!

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the beginning of October 2015 I took in a cat that was camping on mine and my mother's porch (we live next door to each other).  Or maybe I should say he adopted us...  He was out there waiting since the end of July and we could not take him in sooner.  Finally, when all was in place we took him in and named him Graysan.   I have three other cats.  One that is 15 who lives with my mother named Tsen.  And two others that live in our household named Sho (who is 6) and Yong Gi (who is 1 1/2).

Graysan stayed in the bathroom for a week as he was tested and received his shots.  All was clear and the Vet guessed that he was no more than 8-9 months old. Then he was neutered and spent the next two weeks in the front bedroom.  We made sure to give the residents tons of attention and playtime so they would not feel neglected as we slowly introduced Graysan.  Yong Gi took to him immediately.  He started trying to play with Graysan the second day he was here under the bathroom door.  Sho ignored the door but after integrating Yong Gi (who was brought in when he was 8 weeks old) we knew that Sho would be slow to feel comfortable with a new cat.  He and Yong Gi were introduced slowly when YG was 2 months old and now they are best friends.   I was hesitant to bring in Graysan because it seemed that Sho and YG had really just settled in with each other but I could not bear to watch Graysan suffer on the porch anymore.

Now to the topic at hand...   Once Graysan was healed from his neuter we dd all of the Jackson Galaxy tips (same as with YG) and then some.  Using Feliway still to this day.  Bach Rescue Remedy in mouth and ears as needed.  Screen door on bedroom until they were comfortable with each other.  Treats and play time to get them all used to being happy together.  After two weeks of this Graysan was walking around the house and we never really heard one hiss or growl.  We were so happy about the smooth integration!!!   He settled in.  Is very calm and peaceful.  Quite happy to be the submissive cat.  And just wants to sleep, play a little and eat.

Graysan and YG play with each other but he and Sho have always just touched nose and walked by.  Never one hint of aggression. They all eat in the same room.  Everything seemed wonderful.  We even sleep in the same room together.

Suddenly, about 5-6 days ago  I heard Sho making the 'threatening' yowl noise and then he chased and attacked Graysan.  I broke it up. And all seemed fine.  The next day when Graysan was coming out of the litter box Sho attacked him and I had to break it up again.  (And this is not the 'fun chase'... He was howling and aggressive).  We had a break for two days and all seemed well.  Then he attacked him again and after a brief 'time out' all seemed fine....  Until today....  

Sho attacked Graysan and nothing I did made him stop!   I distracted him for half of an hour by playing with him using one toy while playing with YG and Graysan with another.  Afterwards I gave them all treats.  Graysan came downstairs, went in the grow window to look out.  Sho jumped up next to him and when Graysan went to get down Sho chased him under the dining table and began another fight with him!  These are hair flying fights!   I packed up Sho and sent him to my mother's house with Tsen until Sho calms down.  He s over there and s fine according to my mother and brother.

As soon as he left Graysan and Yong Gi were shaken but then relaxed and fell asleep...

The sad thing is that Graysan is really not fighting back.  He just tries to get away from him but Sho pursues!    Graysan has been walking around the house without any problems for 3 weeks and has been living with us for almost 7-8 weeks now.   So why is Sho suddenly attacking him?  Could Graysan or Sho be sick? YG and Graysan are fine together...  Is it just hierarchy issues?  I am using all of the methods I can think of to halt it but  do not want it to escalate.  Should I start a reintroduction all over again???  

Any advice please!  I have never had cats that became aggressive for no reason unless the other cat was sick....  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you should take the cats to the vet to make sure no one is sick. First step. All are fixed, correct?

Then I would start the Jackson Galaxy protocol over.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The first thing I would think about is that the younger one (Graysan) has been used to the environment well now, and is starting to show his adulty. Despite that they both have been fixed, cats still have rivalry. I think the little one is growing up and feels enough at home to want to take over the household. Your older one (Yong Gi) notices this and thus attacks Graysan because he wants to remain the boss. 

I personally would blame that, if you have ruled out any other medical reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you talkingpeanut for your reply.

All of them are neutered and have had their shots.

Graysan was just neutered a few weeks ago and he seems fine but I am wondering if there something going on that may be making him smell 'odd' to Sho.  He had ear mites when he came in and we used Revolution on him.  The doctor gave us antibiotic drops for his ears but we could not get them in because he fought so hard against us.   When he was under during his neuter the doctor cleaned his ears and when I asked about the drops he said that it was more preventive.  But I see Graysan scratching his ears and I wonder if he now has an ear infection.

Graysan and Yong Gi are supposed to see the Vet on December 11 for Graysan's  booster shot and YG's adult shots.    I may see if I can bring him in earlier.   

I started using the anti-biotic drops today (he trust us a little more now)  and I plan to lock him in the bedroom when Sho returns tonight and try to slowly reintroduce until things calm down.  YG is acting completely normal towards him.  They just finished playing and as I type they are both sleep on the bed together.  Sho is not being aggressive towards YG or Tsen...  I am just surprised as to why he just suddenly started attacking when he and Graysan had started playing together and even sleeping on the cat furniture together...   :(

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Blancavd for your reply!

My husband said something similar!   When Graysan came in he was skinny and definitely no match for Sho so maybe Sho did not feel threatened.  Graysan usually sleeps on the kitchen chair and just comes out for a rub or two and some food.   Now Graysan is starting to really roam the house and Sho might feel like his territory s being threatened.  Great possibility...   

Also, we are wondering if Sho is getting jealous of Graysan and Yong Gi (both young) playing with each other....   YG and Sho just solidified their friendship and now another comes in and breaks it up....   We are considering that too....

That is why we are spraying Feliway throughout the house.  It worked well integrating YG with Sho and Tsen. Seemed like it was working well with Graysan too until a few days ago.....  *sigh*

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree with @talkingpeanut that a vet visit would help rule out any chance of illness causing unusual behaviour in a cat.  It's always easier to rule out the medical, first, and then go on to behavioural.

And yes, any medicine, or medical smells will seem 'odd' to a cat. Revolution seems 'odd' to me, and has such a strong smell, when first applied, that I would not want to have that smell linger too long.  Thankfully, it fades after a few hours, to a day.

In this case, it does sound like Sho is acting territorial, being that Graysan has only been walking about for 3 weeks, and Sho may be trying to exert dominance in the cat hierarchy...which you have already observed.

Also interesting that Sho is acting fine at your mom's house with Tsen.

Because you mentioned that Sho took a while to become comfortable with Yong Gi....Do you remember how long it took?, and did you do anything different, then, to get Sho to accept the Yong Gi?

Is there any way that you could make sure that with Graysan, and all your cats that they would each have their own litterboxes, and have safe access to them....so that no one gets ambushed while they are entering or exiting.  I'm not sure if you have the space for this, but having boxes in different locations, and in safe rooms, would help make sure of easy access, even if eventually some are not being used.

Also using plenty of vertical spaces, such as cat trees, cat shelves, side tables...for cats to jump up and escape to, would help.

You're actually doing everything possible, and I have to say a 'thank you' and 'bless you' for taking in Graysan, so he no longer lives on the porch. Yes, Graysan does sound like he adopted you, and found the right house...so if now, we could only convince Sho, that Graysan is no threat, then things should settle down.

When you do the re-introductions, try doing more of the 'scent swapping' and 'room swapping' to get Sho to be more accepting of Graysan's smell.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DId you add any extra litter boxes? Can you leave one in the new kitty's safe room? It sounds like Sho doesn't like sharing his litter box

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you 'cat nap' for your response and also thank you for your kind words!

We are so happy to have Graysan in our lives!  He s such a sweety and just seems to be so grateful to have a place to call home.  

I put Revolution on all of them at the same time so they all have the alcohol smell together.  They are indoor only but when Graysan came in he was covered with fleas so our Vet recommended Revolution for all of them for at least 3 months to make sure none 'lingered' in the environment.   I usually only use it in the Summer and Fall on my babies then stop in the Winter and early Spring.

The biggest difference with Yong Gi and Sho being integrated is that YG was a tyrant!  XD   Last year I lost my 14 year old Squeak to cancer.  Sho was closer to her than I realized and searched for her in my mother's house for a month whenever he visited.   I was not planning to take in another but a wounded 8 week old kitten ran over to me about 2 months after her death when I returned from shopping.  Without thinking I grabbed him and brought him in.   But YG also had respiratory illnesses and we needed for his wounds to heal so it took 2 months before we slowly started allowing him and Sho to have contact.   Sho was terrified of the kitten and that surprised us.  

We did a slow introduction but YG was jumping Sho constantly to get him to play.  And YG is rough!  Sho was never aggressive towards YG but would run away and we would distract YG with toys to give Sho a break. We also played with both, sprayed Feliway and did everything to make it peaceful.  The biggest difference is that YG was the aggressive but in this case Graysan is the passive....  YG was neutered when he was 6 months old and he had already started being overtly aggressive to Sho!  Once he calmed down at about 8-9 months they started becoming closer.  That is them in my avatar looking out of the grow window.  Graysan has never been aggressive to Sho.  He lowers his head as Sho walks by.  They have touched nose without a problem.  Does everything to avoid confrontation.  And seems to be trying to get closer to Sho.  He even waited until Sho was asleep on the bed yesterday to creep up near him to sleep as well.

There are now four litter boxes spread throughout the house.  One downstairs and three upstairs.  They are spread apart and cleaned twice a day...   We also just bought another cat tree that is 81" tall for the bedroom with Sho in mind so he would have a place to escape from the 'young ones' and there is one in the living room that is about 75" tall.   They jump on tables, chairs and window sils...  Whatever they like to get up higher.

But I guess that even with all of the preventives in place aggression can happen.  It just seemed to be so sudden...  :(  

Thank you!   These replies are really helping me to look at the situation and try to work out a plan!  :)

Last edited:

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply 'Zed Xyzed'!

As soon as we adopted Graysan we ran out and bought a fourth box for this house.  One for each cat and an extra.   There are three over at my mother's but Graysan has not been introduced to Tsen yet.  Sho and YG visit Tsen once or twice a week  when we go shopping.  He looks forward to it but I think that is more than enough excitement for him at age 15 1/2.  :D  

I have actually contemplated that if Sho does not stop the aggression, or if it gets worse, that I may try to integrate Graysan with Tsen.  Graysan is so laid back and calm.  Does not want to challenge anyone that he may work well over there...  As long as he just eats and does not get in Tsen's food it may work.  LOL  

But I really want him here in my home......  *sigh*

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you started paying much more attention to the newer kitty? make sure that Sho still feels like he is the top cat. Try to show him more attention, this could be a jealousy thing ??

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the jealousy issues...  I do everything to let Sho know he is #1.  He sleeps next to me, I give him tons of love, I kiss him every time I walk by, he is always fed first, I play with him sometimes alone so he does not feel neglected...   But I believe that he does not appreciate sharing attention.  He is probably not happy even when Yong Gi gets attention but he has grown used to it.  Tsen is the dominant at my mother's so he always stands down for Tsen.

I called my Vet and they said to put the antibiotic drops in Graysan's ears to be safe since I have noticed him scratching at them.  We will still keep the appointment for Dec 11 as scheduled and they said unless something else seems amiss it could be territorial.    Since Graysan s eating, playing, has normal bathroom habits and seems fine the situation should be observed. They want me to do the drops and see if Sho's behavior changes in a few days....   Maybe even leave Sho at my mother's overnight and bring him home tomorrow.  The Vet tech sad she will also e-mail me with a few ideas.  

I really appreciate all of the replies...   They really helped me!

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring something that smells of Graysan, over to your mom's and see how Sho reacts? Or do you think that this would upset him to much.

I actually thought that maybe Sho might be the one who needed a vet check-up, unless he had one recently, since sometimes sudden aggression is a sign that a cat is not feeling well.

Your place sounds well suited for cats...a sort of 'cat haven'. 

If Yong Gi does play rough, then perhaps Sho figures that is the way that he must play, too.  It' so interesting how cat dynamics work.

I do hope the vet tech can offer more ideas, and please keep us updated, since any new updates, or ideas, will help others who might be dealing with a similar situation.

(I did notice your avatar.  What a great photo.
I think it may come down to doing the 'cat introductions' over again, and slow.  But I'm like your Graysan, in that I have no patience, and would creep up to Sho and try to sleep beside him, too. Then, I'd wonder why he's getting so 'rough'.
Patience is not a virtue with me.)  If it is jealousy, then spending one-on-one time, like you are doing, and making sure Sho is number one, is what I would do, too. The medical smells with Graysan, could very well be causing Sho to act aggressive, especially if he is super sensitive to smells, or does not like going to the vet.

For now, if you can all act 'low key', and act like nothing unusual, then the cats might settle quicker.

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again 'cat nap' for your reply!

Also thank you for the compliment on my picture.  Sho is the black tuxedo and Yong Gi is the striped gray tabby.  :)  I will post pics of all of them in the pictures thread..

I would hesitate to bring any of Graysan's smells to my mother's because I would worry about redirected aggression towards Tsen.    I was also thinking about taking Sho to the Vet but he seems perfectly fine except a little constipation due to hairballs.  (He has been cat-laxed).   When I spoke to the Vet tech she sad that if everything seems normal with Sho then we should do as you said....  Start all over again....  

Her suggestion was to leave Sho at my mother's overnight so all could relax a bit (Graysan and Yong Gi are knocked out!  I think they were more stressed than realized) and also to see if there is any aggression towards Tsen.  That could be a sign that Sho may be ill.  If he seems okay then lock Graysan in the bedroom, bring Sho back over and start from scratch.   She also suggested that I do the ear drops to be safe in case Graysan "smells funny".  If I want a full exam (Graysan was only scheduled for a Vet tech visit) they would be happy to do one when he is there.  She said that his doctor may just do a quick look but even he believes that because Graysan's blood work was completely normal a month ago, and he is not showing signs of illness, that it is behavioral.   Of course bring him in if anything changes.

Sho is definitely not trying to play with Graysan when he is attacking him.   But what was odd is that I was overjoyed this past weekend when I saw Sho and Graysan 'playing' together for the first time on the cat furniture. No hissing or growling just a little playful chase around the furniture and a gentle 'no claws' swipe or two.  Of course they had just indulged in some cat nip!  Then they both fell asleep on the furniture together on separate pedestals.  Not one hint of aggression.

Sho does not like to play rough.  I think he tolerated it because YG was a kitten and now that he is grown he is used to YG's approach.   Graysan and YG wrestle and roughhouse for a few moments every day.  Both seem fine with each other.   I wonder if there is even some jealousy because YG and Graysan get along well and play together.  YG was so fascinated by Graysan that he was not playing as much with Sho but Sho did not appear to want to play.  He would stay up high and watch.  Of course I would pull out feather toys and different teasers to help them all feel comfortable.  I would have play with all three and then treats after.   But I am now assuming that Sho may be jealous of sharing that 'friendship' time with a 'new cat'.

The Vet tech also reminded me that it can take months before a new cat is completely accepted into a home by the other cats...    Other than that she gave the same advice that all of you wonderful people here have said : 

"We recommend that you seclude them from one another and go very slowly with the introduction process. It can sometimes take cats months (or longer!) to properly adjust to one another. Allow them to smell each other under or through a door for a few weeks, then crack the door enough that they can see each other but not cross the threshold, and slowly move forward from there.  Of course keep on with Feliway plug in and/or sprays and flower remedies as needed....."

I am definitely going to try swapping with Sho after a week or two because Graysan has grown accustomed to roaming the house and I know he will not appreciate being locked in again... *poor baby*.  A few hours here and there in and out. 

I will let everyone know how it goes...   Going to check on Sho before I go to bed but my mother said he is eating, sleeping, walking around and seems fine.  

I did not realize how much this was even stressing me!   O__O    I need some sleep!  :D

Thanks to all of you again! 

Last edited:

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh!  And just adding that in the behavioral pdf that my Vet sent me they mentioned something called "Felifriend".  I looked it up and it seems to only be available in Europe.  :(  I never heard of this until now and I really wish it was available here...  This is the description....

"Felifriend is the perfect complement to Feliway. While Feliway provides an effective solution to reassuring cats in unfamiliar environments, Felifriend assists in the development of an atmosphere of confidence between the cat and unknown individuals.  The allomarking pheromone Felifriend is the F4 fraction of the facial pheromone (Feliway is the F3).  

Directions: Apply 2 sprays of Felifriend to the palm of each hand, and allow to dry. Place the hands 20cm in front of the cat`s face and wait a short time (one minute) before attempting contact. "

Has anyone else heard of this before???

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, you are so right about potentially causing 'redirected aggression' towards Tsen, in your mom's house. You're right, Graysan's scent might cause that. And Graysan might still smell of the ear infection... or now the antibiotic ear drops. No one would want that scene at your mom's house.  

(I think we need you on these boards...@BlackSakura6 ...because you have a lot of experience and first hand knowledge.) Once you get Sho to the point of being totally relaxed and accepting, then you'll have even more experience.(I think our cats really teach us a lot. And yes, they may cause us some stress, at times, especially when it seems out of the blue, but each time it happens, we're able to deal with it better. I think our cats help us become stronger and better people.)

Actually, having a little constipation, may make Sho a bit irritable...though I would not think it would cause him to constantly be aggressive towards Graysan. Yet, constipation is very uncomfortable.

Since you did see them playing together, I think they will get there, again.  But I am wondering what triggered Sho to become more aggressive, too.

It could have been something he saw outside the window.

Or like you are thinking, a little bit of jealousy...but I'm thinking more that it has to do with not letting Graysan, become dominant, like YG tried. 

Sho seems like a big cat in your photo, but it could just be the angle of the photo, but size does not really matter when it comes to dominance.

So interesting that cat nip caused both cats to become mellow, and not hyper.  I guess every cat is different because mine would get all worked up, roll around, zoom, and crash.
Oh!  And just adding that in the behavioral pdf that my Vet sent me they mentioned something called "Felifriend".  I looked it up and it seems to only be available in Europe.  :(  I never heard of this until now and I really wish it was available here...  This is the description....

"Felifriend is the perfect complement to Feliway. While Feliway provides an effective solution to reassuring cats in unfamiliar environments, Felifriend assists in the development of an atmosphere of confidence between the cat and unknown individuals.  The allomarking pheromone Felifriend is the F4 fraction of the facial pheromone (Feliway is the F3).  

Has anyone else heard of this before???
I've never heard of Felifriend, but you've probably seen this other pdf file. ( I don't know how to post a link to the pdf file, online...but if you do a search called "Feline pheromones and pheromonatherapy by Daniel Mills"...you will find it. Unfortunately, I don't see a year of publication.) 

It does say that in some cats it helps, but in others it may cause aggression, so definitely ask your vet before using it.

I really like learning about the science behind these chemicals, so thank you for mentioning the F3 and F4 markers.

Last edited:

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you 'cat nap' for your fabulous response!  

It s SO much easier putting the ear drops in Graysan's ears now.  When he first came in it was nearly impossible especially after him living on the streets for months.  So hopefully that will help if that is part of the aggressive response.

I made an appointment for Sho this upcoming Tuesday, Dec. 8 just for a routine check up.  I told his doctor I wanted to be 'safe than sorry' because he was over grooming a bit this past Summer (a lot going on with renovations, my mother's illness so I was out a lot more, constant people in the house doing work, adjusting to Yong Gi, etc) but Sho calmed down and it is under control.  We used Colloidal Silver to prevent infections where he was licking, pure aloe vera to soothe, borage oil orally to heal the skin and Bach Rescue to help him cope.  Things have just started to become closer to normal and then in came Graysan!  

Graysan and Yong Gi will see the Vet on Friday Dec 11...  Just for routine and Graysan's booster.  Tsen already went this Summer and was deemed to be in great health.

I really believe it is just behavioral but I agree with you that we should check Sho as well because we all know how our babies can mask illnesses so easily.  Sho is not showing any aggression at all to YG or Tsen.  As I am typing YG and Sho are asleep on the bed.  Graysan is locked in a bedroom and my hubby is sleeping with him tonight so he does not feel lonely.  I feel so bad when I walk in and he looks at me like "What have I done?" And I just have to reassure Graysan that he is a good boy, play with him, give him treats and then come out and play with Sho and Yong Gi for even longer so they don't feel jealous.  So again we are starting slow and steady....

And I agree that Feliway can cause aggression in some cats!  Yong Gi seemed far more aggressive with Feliway at first.  We started using it when he was about 3 1/2 months old to help Sho feel comfortable during introductions but it appeared to make YG hype!  We discovered that the spray was better than the diffuser, and cutting down on the amount used made a difference.   We sprayed it only on the corners of the couch (to prevent marking...  So far it has worked!) and one spray in each room.  Made a huge change in the aggression.  

We did the same approach with Graysan and at first it seemed to work.  Yong Gi completely accepted him (and still does).  Sho would walk pass him, they would touch nose, eat in same room, etc.  So the only thing that we can think of is illness or he has become territorial.  Maybe he was fine as long as Graysan stayed on the kitchen chair and slept but once he started exploring Sho may have thought,"WAIT!  He is in MY window!  And on MY cat furniture!  And going in one of MY litter boxes!  How dare he!"    >_<  LOL

Sho is about 14 lbs.  Yong Gi is about 12.  Graysan came in at 9.5 lbs but is much bigger now after two months of a steady diet..  We will have him weighed when he see his doctor but I am guessing that he is at least 11-12 lbs now.  Tsen is about 14-15 lbs as well.  They aren't huge but they are a good weight.  None are 'fat'...  (Yong Gi could probably lose a pound!  He is a pig!  XD )  

I found the pdf that you recommended!  Thank you!  I am also fascinated by the chemical reactions and complexities of our pets!  A completely unseen world that we will never truly be a part of or understand!   I will read it after this reply! 

And I truly believe that there are different 'strains' of cat nip just like there are different strains of  *cough*  medicinal smoking herbs *cough* that humans use.  
  I have bought some cat nip that made them go crazy!  Another type I eventually put in my composter because it made them hiss and become aggressive!  Some that I have grown in my garden just made them roll around and go to sleep.  The new one I have tried "Maui Wowie" by Twin Cat just makes them rub their faces everywhere and playful.  I wonder if anyone has done a study on different types of catnip on cats?

And thank you for welcoming me to the boards.  I tend to stay quiet and read because I feel like I am learning so much that I don't know if I have a lot to contribute.   With every furry friend I learn more and more...  It is just nice to see that others are learning and growing as well!  They really teach us so much!  :)  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@BlackSakura6...I know that it is still too early to see any concrete changes, or improvements, but I do hope that things are starting to go a little better for your fur crew.

It does sound, more and more, like Sho's problem is behavioural, especially since he is not being aggressive towards YG or Tsen. And you will probably end up spending money to get the 'all clear' and 'everything's fine'...from the vet, but somehow getting that 'peace of mind', makes it easier for us cat guardians, precisely because of what you mentioned about how our cats "can mask illnesses so easily".  Some cats are better than others, at hiding pain, or suppressing illness. ( I hope your mom is doing better, too, because I know how stressful it is, whenever any family member is ill, and especially our moms. Sending positive thoughts your way.)

Your vet actually sounds like the holistic vets, that I have read about. (I only have regular vets, that I am quite happy with, but who have only mentioned 'SamE' for liver function, once, and did not know of 'slippery elm bark'. Yet mine are really good in the medical/vet advice, so for everything else, I just do research, and read about what other cat guardians advise. I often appreciate the things people mention, and will take note of them, then do more research, if I ever have to use them in the future.)

I'm hoping that Yong Gi will step in and be the "bridge" to get Sho to accept and relax with Graysan. 
If Sho likes Yong Gi, and Yong Gi gets along with Graysan, then it may just be a matter of more time, for Sho to realize that Graysan is no threat.

I am curious, though, if Graysan uses his claws, while playing with YG? And if he does, could Graysan have perhaps, scratched Sho, initially, and then Sho would have to retaliate? It's sometimes hard to see if cats use their claws, because they move so fast.

Parts of your post made me 'laugh out loud', but that does not mean that I am taking your thread lightly, or making light of your situation. I just smiled at how you phrased certain things, and I think that having a sense of humour, even when under a lot of stress is a good thing. It helps us deal with stress around us, especially when the cats are fighting, or not co-operating.
 .... Maybe he was fine as long as Graysan stayed on the kitchen chair and slept but once he started exploring Sho may have thought,"WAIT!  He is in MY window!  And on MY cat furniture!  And going in one of MY litter boxes!  How dare he!"    >_<  LOL
LOL...I actually thought the same thing. I was picturing Graysan, being 'happy-go-lucky'...walking about for 3 weeks, and then he decides to jump up to the 'grow window'. It's like Graysan did not have the "proper credentials' to be up there, or that space IS some type of 'secret garden' for Sho?.
..Has Sho buried some treasure up there, and does not want Graysan anywhere near it??
  (Maybe Yong Gi knew about the proper procedure for asking permission from Sho, but failed to inform young Graysan.)

And I truly believe that there are different 'strains' of cat nip just like there are different strains of  *cough*  medicinal smoking herbs *cough* that humans use.  
  I have bought some cat nip that made them go crazy!  Another type I eventually put in my composter because it made them hiss and become aggressive!  Some that I have grown in my garden just made them roll around and go to sleep.  The new one I have tried "Maui Wowie" by Twin Cat just makes them rub their faces everywhere and playful.  I wonder if anyone has done a study on different types of catnip on cats?
Yeah, I never quite thought of the different strains, and potency of cat nip. ..much like those "coughing herbs". 
  Goodness, I am ROFL. I'm not sure if I'd sponsor a wide study of different types of cat nip, but I am definitely going to try to grow my own 'cat grass' or 'cat nip' next summer. 
...I tend to stay quiet and read because I feel like I am learning so much that I don't know if I have a lot to contribute.   With every furry friend I learn more and more...  It is just nice to see that others are learning and growing as well!  They really teach us so much!  :) 
I have to say that I like the fact that you can choose to do whatever you want, be it post photos, or write, or just read.  I am learning a lot, too. And I get into 'phases' in which I will read in a certain part of the Site, and then go off and spend time in Galleries or photos. TCS is huge,so there's always something interesting to learn, see and read.

I agree with you, 100%, that the best part for me, is learning from each other.

And this situation with Sho and Graysan, will hopefully, just become a minor detour or small part of your cats' lives. 

Last edited:

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again 'cat nap' for your reply!

I have started watching Sho's behavior more. One thing in particular is he tends to sleep next to my stomach at night.   I was up on the laptop and he was at the foot of the bed.  YG was next to my thigh.  When i went to tuck in I eased under the covers so as not to disturb anyone and YG was by my stomach.    I lay there for almost 1/2 hour when Sho woke up.  He came over to lay down, noticed YG and just stared.  He then tried to lay next to my chest but seemed agitated.  So then Sho went behind my back near my shoulder blades.  After another 1/2 hour he walked over top of me...  Walked over to YG... Stared...  YG yawned and looked up at him, promptly moved off of the bed and Sho flopped down next to my stomach.  

Dominant cat has spoken!!!  (=^_^=)

I am now wondering after watching that if he tried to make Graysan do something, or became possessive of us, and wanted to force Graysan to back off of his people and territory.  Let him know who was boss when Graysan only wanted to be rubbed and petted.   I never payed much attention to things like that until now.  i was always trying to "spread the love".  We were so conditioned to seeing YG as the little bully that Sho put up with and doing all we could to keep his stress down that we forgot that in his mind he is the dominant here.  When Sho goes to my mother's he recognizes Tsen as the dominant there....  Perhaps he really did see Graysan as a challenge for 'his spot".  So we will do everything we can to make him know that he is loved and treasured but Graysan is not a threat.

At the same time I am taking the Jackson Galaxy advice of also letting him know that this is not his territory alone and he has to share.  So we are rubbing Graysan with a sock and rubbing his scent on corners and places that Sho 'marks'.  We took Sho to my mother's today and left YG and Graysan to play with each other.  They ran, played, wrestled, etc.  I did not see claws at all and both were completely silent when they played.  So you may be right that YG could be the "bridge" between Graysan and Sho.  The same as my angel baby Stripe was the bonding point between Tsen and Sho six years ago.  Stripe accepted Sho immediately!  Barged in the room after two days, jumped on the bed, looked at Sho (who was 3 months old) and curled up to go to sleep.  After that Sho was his shadow.  He was such a friendly and peaceful cat.  Breaks my heart to this day that he passed away (Kidney failure...  he lasted 3 1/2 years when the doctor told me he would not last 1 year...).  :(

But YG has a bad habit of nibbling Sho on his back and pulling hair when he is trying to convince him to play!!! Sho always lets out a little yelp but never retaliates.   I usually just say, "Yong Gi... play nice"  and they just continue to play....   I am hoping that once he is used to Graysan that he will at least tolerate him....  I do not expect him to let Graysan yank him bald...  O_O

Sho tends to make noises when he plays and that really spooks Graysan.  I wonder if  Graysan misunderstood the sounds and after being rejected Sho turned on him?  Going to watch closely......  

But Graysan will probably be in the bedroom for two weeks or more and this time we are going to do a lot more 'swapping'.  Really get them used to each other's scent until they are bored with it...  Like an old man that sits next to you on the bus every day with Old Spice on.   At first you wrinkle your nose but after a while it just becomes his scent and you miss him when he is not there. 

My Vet is not holistic but all the ones that are there at the hospital are very open to natural remedies.  I do a lot of research and I have actually done printings and e-mails for them so they can have info on what I am using.  I try very hard to do anything that is preventive first, as well as using natural things to help heal.  But I truly believe in proper diagnosis by a Vet.  Anything that helps them live a happier and healthier life.   Even when you try to do your best it just never seems enough....  *sigh*

And thank you for the thoughts about my mother.  She is doing well now but earlier this year it was very stressful for all of the furry babies as well as the rest of the family.  My mother was in the hospital for three weeks and then had to have home care for a few months so routines were completely thrown to the wind...  And I am sure that my stress added to their's but I tried to keep calm, kiss and hug, play and do whatever I could to keep them from being shaken.  They helped me cope as well and kept me laughing...   Gave me a lot of hope.  

So glad that you found things in my post to be funny!  Nice to smile every day!  If I gave a smile to you then I am very, very happy!

When I get results from the Vet visits I will update and let everyone know about the progress.....   And thank you for giving me the confidence that this can work again!  (^_^)/

(Oh!  I added pics of Tsen, Sho, Yong Gi and Graysan in my default folder if you are interested! )

Last edited: