My 5yr Old Has Stopped Playing

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie still eats and uses the litter box. So I need a new toy. What do your cats like? She only likes wand toys, not da Bird. She likes to chase. Doesn't even bother my cat peaches anymore. I used to hear a loud screech every night. Maggie would run around and play by herself. She had her vaccines a month a go and my vet always gets her temp and weight during that. Go cat catcher was her fav but she wont play anymore.I tried to get her to play with 5 different toys. No reaction. Guess I'll make a vet appointment. I did go on an 11 day vaca a month ago. She had a pet sitter that came every day her playing stopped this week.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet checkup is never a bad idea, especially if we suspect something is off with our cats.

But maybe it's just a phase she's going through. Or she's bored with her toys.

Try a piece of crumpled up foil. Or a juice/milk/pop cap. Or ring cut from a paper towel roll. Those are things Ruby will chase after, or bat around.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assume you tried laser pointer. How about ping pong balls? Same concept as the crumpled up paper/foil balls really, but the fact they bounce allows you to potentially play interactively if you bounce it against a wall. Also, the fact they bounce makes them travel slower/longer so the cats can really chase after it and intercept. Mine also like this one:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She only played with wand toys. No interest in anything else except chew on the cat springs. I have tons of toys. She hasn't touched anything. Vet appointment at 2:30. She's locked in my bedroom since she can't eat in case blood is taken

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats simply stop playing as they mature. You could try food puzzles, which don’t give her much physical exercise but may still engage her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Had blood and urine done. My regular vet just had surgery so I won't hear back til Tues. A different vet comes on thursdays

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it's nothing, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess Im a worry wart since josie was put down. I am familiar with what signs to look for when my cat looks unwell because of taking care of Josie her last 3 yrs. Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Five is still quite young, so again, hopefully he's fine. But this way you'll know for sure. Please post on Tuesday and let us know the results.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Assume you tried laser pointer. How about ping pong balls? Same concept as the crumpled up paper/foil balls really, but the fact they bounce allows you to potentially play interactively if you bounce it against a wall. Also, the fact they bounce makes them travel slower/longer so the cats can really chase after it and intercept. Mine also like this one:

my cat loves the rainbow string too but he has chewed off and waten a piece

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I just order this( I think is ribbon) and boinks bamboozler

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Was her fav but get it from cool cyber cats,not go cat. Mouse is not as good

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to play with her but instead she went to the
closet!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I annoy her. As soon as I turn my head she hides under my chair or closet!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does she get along ok with your other cat? Just wondering if she's maybe stressed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Occasionally peaches will want to play with her but Maggie wont.she used to. Maggie used to try and get peaches to play day and night with no luck but not anymore. Maggie tries to play with coco but she is still afraid of Maggie though it's been a yr.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood and urine normal. I emailed him the video and he wants me to take more. I shined a light in front of her but she does not follow it. Same with dropping something on the ground. He is worried something may be wrong with her central nervous system. Not sure how the vet tests for that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending hugs and vibes that your vet figures out what is wrong, if there is something wrong, and that it is easily treatable. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::hugs:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bought many new toys and she is not interested. I used to chase maggie around my apt morning and night and wand toys throughout the day. Used to be very playful and suddenly stopped. It could be stress. I might take her back to the vet. I did check her eyes in the dark and they seem fine. Her first apt with blood work was by a different vet. I have been using feliway. I have dealt with a scared cat before but not depressed so I'm not sure what to do. I am going to start clicker training her again.