My 5 year old female "yowls"

mslaura518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been doing this for a while. She's fixed now, but had 2 litters previously. At night she does this thing where she gets really low to the floor (not laying or sitting, still on all 4s) and extends her neck out and lets out this little yowl. Her mouth barely moves, but it is very audible through our appartment.

>> we still have 2 of her babies whom are almost a year old now, but this also happened with her first litter with the one we'd kept too: she won't use the litter box. She used to, but since having other cats around she won't, even after giving her her own separate box.

>> she also drools when she is relaxed. I think this may just be because her muscles are relaxed, but I figured I'd put that out there too.

She is a mainly indoor cat, but was an outdoor cat for a few months, and is now indoors again. Her first litter was with an indoor cat, her second with an outdoor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mslaura518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've considered that, but this isn't the same sound she used to make when she was in heat. But she has been spayed for about 6 months or so.

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got a yowler (who also dribbles a lot). And mine was spayed at 6 months old. She is 14 now so I expect her to go on yowling (and dribbling) until her last days.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, just a bit weird!

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It doesn't bother me at all, it's just part of her peculiar personality!

She yowls when she's playing, although those yowls are different to the other ones. She always yowls when she's finished eating. We have often said she must be talking to her invisible friend
. I don't think she does it because she's in pain or frightened, it's just how she expresses herself.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie has been "singing" all his life (13 years) and can easily keep it up for 15 - 30 minutes. He used to only do it in the evening or at night, but now that he's older he also does it during the day. Normally he yowls while looking out a window.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some breeds (especially Siamese) are louder than others and not all cats meow the same way. What breed is the OP's cat?

I used to have a cat who wanted to have sex with Patricia. Being spayed as a kitten, she never had a sex drive, so she always hated Wilbur's mounting behavior and hissed at him when he bit her neck. But later he would be back at it. Some people told me it was dominance, but Wilbur was a stray at least four months, so he could have been a sire by the time he was neutered.