My 5 month old desexed kittens pee everywhere if I leave them at home by themselves for more than 24

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there,  I'll be interested in that additive too...!

The only one I can think of which definately applies in Australia - although I'm sure it's used world wide - are the sulphite family of preservatives.  Thankfully human grade food has to have this labelled.  Pet grade food doesn't, and its use is rampant.  I've also heard it is obligatory in the pet food Kangaroo - the carcasses get separated into two piles (human/pet) and then the pet ones are treated - so the 'manufacturer' can actually not even be aware its in the 'food' as they didn't put it there.  As far as I know, this isn't something that directly/primarily affects the brain though, (unless we call the brain the central nervous system, which obviously it forms a major part)?  It will kill your cat over time as it destroys thiamine, and will destroy it in other 'clean' food sources if the 'contaminated' source has already been consumed - ie, within the animal after ingestion.  Thiamine deficiency affects the central nervous system and cats (and dogs) lose ability to lift their heads and walk, and will cause death.

I'll be checking back for the name of that additive you know about :)
All raw food in the US uses USDA human grade meats..... So..... :dk: ????

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think the unknown shrug is about right when it comes to 'USDA human grade meat'.  It may not mean every safeguard we would want  (I recently watched 'Food Inc', oh my goodness!  Those poor animals, and that's how our food is 'processed').  

But in relation to sulfite preservatives, I would hope the commercial raw is safe - so far as I know here, it is only kangaroo that poses the problem, and you guys don't farm that!  If you're worried, check what labelling laws you have/ask the manufacturer yourself (in writing).  It's quite a common preservative for human foods, mostly ones that are processed - for meat stuff, things like sausages/marinated/pre-prepared stuff.

emmapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just confine them to one room with food and water and plenty of toys and use two trays and if they make a bit of a mess try putting it in a cardboard box with a hole in the side