My 4 weeks old kitten won't eat

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have four weeks kitten named Paris. I hand feed him since he was one week old and is doing okay although his size is smaller than other kittens whom has their mother to feed them. But, starting yesterday he doesn't want to eat. When he reach 4 weeks old, I started to mix dry kitten food with milk and feed him. He eats the food but the next day, he suddenly refuses to eat. I try changing to his formula milk and he refuses to drink that also. Usually, he will enthusiastically drinks about 5 to 6ml in every 2 hours but now it is hard to feed him even 1ml.

It is not like he has no appetite, he seem so keen on sucking my finger when it is time for him to eat, but when I put the syringe in his mouth he started to move away from it.

I am really worried. He is all skin and bone now. I force feed him but he doesn't swallow the milk so I feed the kitten food that has been mixed with milk. He eat it but seems so reluctant. I cannot afford the vet so I want to ask your oppinion what should I do and what actually happen to my kitten? Help me please, I can't imagine myself losing him.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I have four weeks kitten named Paris. I hand feed him since he was one week old and is doing okay although his size is smaller than other kittens whom has their mother to feed them. But, starting yesterday he doesn't want to eat. When he reach 4 weeks old, I started to mix dry kitten food with milk and feed him. He eats the food but the next day, he suddenly refuses to eat. I try changing to his formula milk and he refuses to drink that also. Usually, he will enthusiastically drinks about 5 to 6ml in every 2 hours but now it is hard to feed him even 1ml.

It is not like he has no appetite, he seem so keen on sucking my finger when it is time for him to eat, but when I put the syringe in his mouth he started to move away from it.

I am really worried. He is all skin and bone now. I force feed him but he doesn't swallow the milk so I feed the kitten food that has been mixed with milk. He eat it but seems so reluctant. I cannot afford the vet so I want to ask your oppinion what should I do and what actually happen to my kitten? Help me please, I can't imagine myself losing him.
He is in danger of dying, based on what you say.  And when you say milk you mean monther's replacement milk like KMR, not cow milk right?  Has he been peeing and pooping?  Can you take his temp?

He needs a vet ASAP.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Unfortunately at this age they can go downhill really fast and really must get food into them. He really needs to see a vet. Can you borrow the money from someone?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He absolutely has to see a vet asap. He's in a very precarious position right now, and sadly you are at serious risk of losing him. In the meantime, keep him warm. It's very possible he simply doesn't have the energy to eat at the moment. A little karo syrup or honey smeared onto his gums may give him enough of a boost to accept a little KMR from a syringe.

This is NOT a substitute for veterinary care though - please find some way to get him to a vet. Care Credit is always an option, and some vets are willing to work out a payment plan.

I hope this little guy makes it :vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You can perhaps smear your finger with his kmr or even that wet food, and let him suck off?  Several times in one sitting, of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys. I'll try to bring him to vet. But for now he seems only want to eat food. He still refuses to drink milk so I give him warm water. Is it alright?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are mixing his food with cow's milk the kitten will most likely die, based on what you've said.  Your animal must see a vet immediately or you will indeed lose him.  Please get some food into the kitten--wet cat food--force feed if you have to but stop giving him cow's milk.  And warm water is totally unnecessary and may even make him nauseous and less inclined to eat.  Filtered cool water is best.

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It hard to find kmr in my place. Mostly, they sell cow milk with lactose reduced. Is it okay?

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more thing, can I feed him whiskers kitten wet food? Tuna or chicken flavor? I know I ask a lot of question and I am really sorry for that. It is my first time taking care of kitten.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It hard to find kmr in my place. Mostly, they sell cow milk with lactose reduced. Is it okay?
Full fat, low lactose milk is better than regular milk, esp if fat reduced.  If you by any chance can get unpasteurized cow milk, it could be OK, I think.  If you can get goat mik, its good and safe.   Another alternative is full fat mild, unflavored, unsweetened youghurt.  This is OK as the lactose is reduced there.   Such a yoghurt works also somewhat as a mild probiotic.
One more thing, can I feed him whiskers kitten wet food? Tuna or chicken flavor? I know I ask a lot of question and I am really sorry for that. It is my first time taking care of kitten.
The Forum is for trying to answering questions.   also, its easier to answer specific question than write a whole handbook covering everything at every poster.  :)

Anyways,  Whiskas dry food hasnt the very best reputation. But their wet food isnt that bad, so you can surely continue with whiskas wet food for kittens.

Perhaps not ideal, but kittens had made it into adults with worse.
 But for now he seems only want to eat food. He still refuses to drink milk so I give him warm water. Is it alright?
If he wants to eat food, try to give him - its hardly possible to overfeed a kitten, but the other problem is not usual - they get too little.  Sometimes they get into real distress because they get too little.   Sometimes because what was proper amount when they were 1 week, is no longer proper amount when they are 3 weeks...  And sometimes because they by some reason, dont manage to eat enough, too weak or  bad appetite.

With lotsa of wet food, he doesnt need to drink much.  Giving him water may be a little dangerous if it fills him up so he wont eat.  But a few drops between feedings is good.  Dehydration is nasty, even a slight dehydration is not good.

So yes, if he doesnt wants milk, use water.   On very weak kittens its important the water is warm, at least room temp, may even be body temp.  So the water doesnt chill them out.    With a little older kittens, not so weak, cooler water is OK, and may even entice them to drink more.

The water shall be fresh and clean, of course.

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give the kitten whiskas and he loves it. I don't even have to feed him. He eats it on his own even though he doesn't eat much. He drinks the water and started looking a bit healthier. He also pooping and peeing now. I am from Malaysia btw.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten sounds like he is doing fine.

Last edited:

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really hope he is doing fine. Thank you guys for all the advice. I really need it all. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

bailey18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten, Paris is two months and a week now. He has no mother and I took care of him since he was one week old.

As we know taking care of orphan kitten is hard and I thought Paris already pass the danger when he is two month old.

But lately, he started to have uneven surface on his belly.

At first it just bloated and the vet said it is because of worm.

But after deworm, nothing happen to his tummy. I tried to skip one of his meal time and noticed his tummy is smallen a little. So, I guess he just eat a lot.

After several days, he started to have this uneven surface on his belly. Usually when he is full. When you ran your finger on it you van feel many small bump the size of peas or red bean and sometime a bit bigger than red bean. I brought him to the vet again but the bump is already gone. The doctor said it is normal. Some kitten has big tummy and skinny on the rest of the body.

But after a week he still has that kind of uneven tummy and its getting worse. He eats a lot today and sleep on his back, showing me his tummy. The tummy is not rounded, just wide on the side. The surface under his rib is okay but the middle of his tummy is sinking low. Then, the lowest part of his belly has this hard bum.

What happen to my cat actually?

He poop and pee without trouble. Drink water regularly. He still drink goat milk. He eats wet food but eat very little when I serve him tuna. He is also an active kitty.

I want to know if any of your cat ever have tummy like Paris? Is it normal? What should I do about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, your vet must see this. It looks like some sort of cyst. An x-ray or ultrasound may show what is going on. Also blood work. It may be harmless. For now, your cat sounds healthy otherwise.

I wonder if catwoman707 catwoman707 has ever seen this before. I have not.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would again consult the Vet--perhaps a different one. and show them this picture. it does look so abnormal. I have not idea what it could be...I hope an advisor comes along soon, but I think the general idea is to get him back to the VEt. Looks like some type of mass or as SArthru2 mentioned, a cyst. It could even be related to his bowels...who knows...but he needs it examined and followed-up.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I can not tell you what this is, but I can tell you it is not normal.

This kitten needs an ultrasound done to look at his internal organs, something is either not in the right place or is enlarged.

If your vet is unable to perform an ultrasound then go to a different vet who is able to.

I would do this as soon as possible.