My 4 month old kittens are scared of people...

rachie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two kittens are terrified when I have someone over...they run and hide and won't come out. I rarely have company, so I know it comes from not being used to other humans. I should mention that they're feral kittens. But I've had them since they were 5 weeks old. I've entered people's homes where there are cats, and they don't run. Will my kittens continue this behavior into adulthood? Unless I bring people in constantly just so they can get used to it? Right now I don't have people visiting me much as I have a small apartment, but eventually I might and I don't want them to always feel like they need to protect themselves. Plus, my friends would love to pet them and socialize when they come over...

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of all the cats/kittens I have owned, the majority hide when people are in the house that they don't know.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All depends on the cat and socialization. You can improve it by having more people over and the cats will get more comfortable with specific people if they come over frequently.

My cats are all skittish around new people. Most of the time, after the visitors have settled down and if I am in the room the cats will start peeking out of corners and checking the visitors out. Rocket, my former feral I got at 4 months, is actually the most curious and unsettles people because she sits staring unmoving and unblinking at them. With your coming to you so young the feral won't be much of an issue. Usually 8 weeks is where you see significant lingering after affects.

Now my sisters cat? Whole other story. He used to fall asleep on top of something in the middle of a yard sale. No kidding, we'd set up for a yard sale and he'd pick a place to chill and watch ubtil he fell asleep. Usually on a chair or some clothes/blankets we were trying to sale. My sister moved out and at her housewarming party her cat was just walking around like nothing was happening (there was a lot of alcohol, loud music and drunk guys). He is the boss of two pitbulls and frequently hangs out at her neighbirs house demanding attention from them too.

My sisters cat and my cats were all raised in the same household with same level of visitors. Her cat is just a seriously grounded, self assured and dominant cat.... I don't think anything could phase him.

Personality is a huge factor. Desensitization can help. But don't worry when your cats are exactly like someone elses. Every cat is different and special in their own way.

Last edited: