My 3 Yr Old Cat Had Kitten, Now She Hates Them

Meanmamakittyplzhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 yr old female cat, she had her first litter of 5 kittens. She was confused at first but she turned out to be a great loving mother cat. She fed them longer then she should have, but she was very good to the 2 that we kept. Now they are about 10 months old and for the past month or two she has been attacking them hissing, or growling every time she sees them. She went outside about 2 weeks ago. After being an indoor cat her whole life. We have had her since she was 8 wks old. We live in Maine so it's starting to get very cold. I don't know what to do. When she comes in she wants nothing to do with them, and will attack them when she sees them. I brought her in a week ago and she found a way to get up in the ceiling and stayed there for 48 hours and she would not come down until she wanted too. She didnt even come down to eat so when she did come down she wanted to go straight outside now she won't come back inside. How can I get her to accept the 2 one female and one male. The kittens have been fixed since they were two months old so that's not the problem. She treats them exactly the same. She went outside by choice we did not put her out there she ran out one day and because of her behavior I decided to let her get some space but now she will not come back in on her own. I'm worried when the snow comes. Please help! My oldest son really loves this cat and now she's outside. She is good natured to people especially since being outside. I tried to carry her in, she saw one of her kittens and tried.to scratch me to get away... Will she get over it and come in when she gets cold enough??? I don't want to lose her to the cold weather. I mentioned giving her to a no kill cat shelter. The kids don't want that. I want her to be loving or at least tolerable to the other cats... Please help me and my 3 boys...

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's important to get her back inside. You can keep the kittens in one room for a little bit and lure her inside with food. She's less likely to turn back around and go outside if the kittens aren't right in front of her. Then close off her access to the outside. You'll have to sequester either the kittens or the mother cat in one room and do the formal reintroductions as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 has suggested. If she isn't spayed, that might be cause of the aggression too.