My 3 1/2 month old kitten hasnt had a bowel movement in 2 days??

jacquelyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

My 3 1/2 month old kitten hasnt had a bowel movement in 2 days (today is day 3) please read entire post before replying. As there has been a lot to lead up to this..

Mishka (mee-shka) was fixed on 06/14/2016 along with her sister Isabella. They both came home EXTREAMLY ill. Severe bouts of non stop diahrea and vomiting. Diahrea was every 20 min easily and throwing up maybe 3 times/4 times. I am a certified pet nutritionist through petco and certified in animal welfare.. So I did what I had learned.. I gave them a quiet room, including their favorite bed, a lot of water and their hard food. My kittens only get holistic wet/dry food or organic chicken/beef.

Anyways 24 hrs later they were only getting worse.. Dry nose, fever ect.. So I brought them back to where I had them fixed, All About Animals. The dr I seen took their temp.. Both was over 103 but not higher then 104. He gave them both a shot of (in his handwriting looks like) CONVRNA? Which in all my times of taking care of sick animals, id never heard of. He assured me it was a widly used. So I agreed.

For 2 more days it seemed as if there was no improvement in either of my girls. But I did as I learned, Solisitic pumpkin puree and home made rice added to every dish, along with a ton of water in every dish I gave them. Finally last night Isabella (my black kitten) did a 180 and today passed her first firm stool.. Unfourtunatly Mishka has not..

So Mishka (my brown/black stipped girl with off white around her eyes).. Has not thrown up in aprox 30 hrs.. But she also has not had diahrea or even a bowel movement at all in almost 48 hrs. She did have a VERY tiny, tiny bit of diahrea yesterday afternoon that was dark and very pungent. I know this because I am constantly watching the litterbox, I honestly must check it 15 times a day and clean it 5/6 times (even more when they both had non stop diahrea) She is eating. Not as much as she used to.. She isnt drinking a lot of water out of her bowl but I do still add a ton of water to what ever dish I serve them and she will drink the broth and all of it. I do this about 4/5 every 24 hrs just so I know she is getting enough water in her tiny system.

I have tried the hairball remedy just because I know it helps cats digest hair balls and contains mineral oil... So it should help..still no go..

So I am at a loss.. I have seen her go into the litterbox and dig a spot out, but then she just walks out.. So she doesnt even try.

Am I beling over worried? Maybe her system is just taking a bit to recover and get back on a regular schedual? Maybe her behind is sore from all the diahrea and she is just not wanting to be in pain?

I dont have the extra cash to bring them back to the vet for the 3rd time in 7 days. I just paid for them to be fixed, all their shots, deworming, microchips and then the emergency follow up appt with the other shot..

Is there anything else I can try at home? I know i cant let her go too long, i dont want her with a blockage.

I should add her energy level is almost normal. They both have still been sleeping a bit more then normal since surgery. But she will still run & play when i let them.. As I dont let them play to hard as i know they are still recovering from surgery.

They are both 3.9lbs.

Please let me know if i forgot to include anything. Im headed out to a DR appt, so itll be a couple hrs before I can get back online.

THANK YOU very much for reading my very long post.

The photos are when they were 8 wks old..morecrecent pics are on a different device.

jetta1400

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I'm thinking if she hasn't really eaten much, there probably isn't much in her system to poop yet. I would say if she is behaving normally and drinking fluids, then it's a good sign. However, I would continue to keep my eye out and if you notice anything different in her behavior, I would just bite the bullet and take her in or call the vet to see what they suggest. I'm sure of it sounds serious, they will want you to bring the kitty in.

geekchic82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes after a stressful time, my kitty will get bunged up for a few days (Ex. vet, tummy trouble). He's gone 2-3 days without going #2, then would go and his system would return to normal. If she's had diarrhea her body might not have enough 'solids' for her to produce anything of substance, yet. Still, I agree with Jetta1400, and would call your vet for recommendations at least.

A remedy you could try with your kitten to help get things moving again is canned pumpkin in her food. It's loaded with fibre, we all know how great fibre is for bathroom issues :) You can also add a tiny bit of Restoralax (Miralax) to her food- it's a human aid for constipation, but is safe for cats. I'd ask your vet before doing it, though- if she was suffering from diarrhea earlier, giving her a laxative might be the last thing you want to do.

Hope the sweet thing's feeling better soon <3