My 2 year old, male cat- fixed has been peeing everywhere

victoriaaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!! so I need some help on what the heck is going on and what todo with my cat.

He is 2 years old, fixed and hes been peeing on mine and my boyfriends stuff constantly for a long time now. He will pee on our clothes, recently our bed, today my boyfriends work coat TWICE and on the floor, everywhere!!! His litter box is clean, he does use it but uses everything else aswell, were getting extremely fed up with it and its getting close to the point hes not gunna be apart of your family and will be living at the humane society or some place.

When he pees places that's not his box, he knows hes in trouble because hell run away and hide from us, when I get him eventually I try to put him face in whatever he pee'd on so he knows what he did and that im mad. I don't know if he has a medical problem, or hes just being an ass to us, or trying to tell us something were not catching on to, but I need to get some answers QUICK!! Please help us! :(

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all stop rubbing his face in his pee! Scolding cats doesn't work. he needs to be seen by a vet to rule out any health problems. he may have a bladder infection.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't know if he has a medical problem, that's the best and easiest thing to rule out first.

If the vet results come back clean, ensure all of your stuff is clean and doesn't smell anymore. Even if we can't smell it, cats have a stronger and better sense of smell. Use enzymatic cleaners.

Ensure his litter box is cleaned minimum once - ideally twice a day, and that the litter doesn't make him uncomfortable. He should have at least two boxes and the box should be big enough for him to turn around in it. Try other types of litter. There are litters that are meant to attract cats (there's one actually called Cat Attract).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victoriaaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your tips!

what medical problems in cats that are potentially the reason why he is peeing on our stuff and everywhere else? and what red flags in his behaviour and activity that may be a medical problem?! I know going to the vet is the best thing todo because they can see exactly what is going on but i wanna hear from someone else there thoughts

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are notorious at hiding pain.  But one way they may show illness is by urinating somewhere that gets your attention.  If this is a physical problem; approaching it from a behavioral standpoint will not help.  Also; because this has been going on; it may take more work and time to stop him.  As pinkdagger mentioned; you need to use an enzyme cleaner to remove the urine to his nose's satisfaction.  Otherwise some cats return to the spot just because they smell they have gone there before.  A black light can help you find all the spots that need cleaning.  I also agree about the litter box advice.  Some cats do not like to pee where they poo.  My cat's boxes are in my small laundry closet; one cat will pee in one box and walk right over to the other to poo.  

nashleah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your vet will be able to ask questions and do tests to identify if it is a medical issue, if not... Then behavioral.

My cat did this when I first got him for such a long time. Exact same situation.

But pleaseeee DONT rub his face in it.
Because a) cats pee on things when they're upset or angry (if not medical) so making him more angry won't help
B) he won't understand *why* your rubbing his face in the pee.

To be honest, there is really no physical punishment that ever works. Look up positive vs negative reinforcement.

Here are things we noticed about our cat that might help you!

- He likes his litter box supppper clean, so we literally clean it every time we see it dirty.
- Put it away from his food and water... I mean, no one wants to eat where they poop!
- My cat really doesn't like the scented litters. He prefers the un scented natural kind. It's cheaper so no complaints here! Make sure it doesn't have any crystals or anything special in it!( or if this is what you're using, do the opposite!)
- is he peeing in a certain room or area? Is there a little box there? Then get another box or move it there :)
- my cat personally likes super deep litter (5 or 6 inches... Normal is 3 or 4) but the kitty I'm fostering likes barely any! Try the opposite of what you're doing right now and see if there's a difference.
- Take off the little cover, or put it on, if you have one for you litter box. Some like to be hidden, some cats don't like being in it.
- something to consider, is he peeing (does he just kind of squat and it comes out) or spraying (not a puddle but more sprayed even on a wall). Most cats if the problem is territorial will spray. But if it's emotional or medical, will just be peeing.
- look at your local pet supply store. There's usually an aisle that will have urine-be-gone sprays. Use these! If a cat can still smell where he has peed, he's going to go back.
- in the same aisle, they'll have different options for calming your cat or making him want to pee in certain areas you mark. Look at these options!

Just please remember, you'd never give a kid to an orphanage because you couldn't potty train hIm! Please don't do that with this little guy :) just work and figure it out

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before Thunder was fixed she was peeing on a few things ,Behind my TV too. But after she has been using the boxes I put out and doing good so far.