My 2 cats play and 1 gets too rough

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats. The girl is 3 and the boy is 4. They are very chill cats. The boy is very affectionate with me, but stays away from many others especially my and my wife’s 16 month old boy. The girl loves people and likes to play more, but isn’t a huge player. I don’t know if all of that was necessary info, but just trying to explain the situation. Also just over a month ago my in-laws moved in and will be here for awhile so the house is frequently changing. I don’t know if any of that plays a role though. Not long after we adopted the girl the boy did not like her, but after awhile they really loved each other. Lately though the boy has been too rough with her. He’s not rough all the time. My guess is she goes up to him to play then he gets too rough. Could the changes in the house causing thing and how do I stop it? Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI! You're right to be keeping a close eye on things.

If necessary so your girl doesn't get too stressed out, you can always either see if you can distract him from the rough play with toys, or even by containing one or the other of them in a room for a bit.

Have you tried any calming products?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI! You're right to be keeping a close eye on things.

If necessary so your girl doesn't get too stressed out, you can always either see if you can distract him from the rough play with toys, or even by containing one or the other of them in a room for a bit.

Have you tried any calming products?
No I haven’t but I will look into them. Thanks.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you mean by too rough. Play between cats is not always equal. I have a 12 pound cat and a barely 9 pound cat. They get along well. But the 9 pounder is always the one to terminate play, and sometimes squeals or even hisses, running off for a bit. But she does enjoy playing at times, is not afraid of him, and even initiates play sometimes. So with those signals, I know its totally fine -- a good cat relationship, even if it isn't an equal one.