My 18 Yr Old Healthy/playful Tortie Has A 16 Month Old Who Plays Rough

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its all good now, and since I got the crazy Calico the old gal has really trimmed up and plays a lot more. All normal tests for her at the vet recently yipee! its the FOOD! and filtered water and living inside

One problem....when shes sick and older what do I do? She has a boyfriend she loves who is 14 and plays with the Calico also. Will I have to separate the old girl when she slows or sickens? Screaming at the kitten when shes too rough does nothing, and the little devil knows nothing bad will happen to her from me. here she is last fall doing yoga near the kitchen sink....p s shes semi feral stock super strong willed!!!.....indoor only for all 3 cats") thanks for any advice on old and young cats living together.
mookies morning yoga.JPG

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely photo, that's one contented cat. It sounds as if your tortie has had a new lease of life, thats wonderful. The calico is a typical kitten and will quieten down. Tortie should teach the calico manners and respect so I wouldnt worry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It's possible the youngster will slow down a little bit as maturity "happens", or will be respectful of your oldster as time goes along. It can be challenging to know how things will turn out :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Screaming at the kitten when shes too rough does nothing, and the little devil knows nothing bad will happen to her from me.
The older cat will tell the younger one when she is being too rough. That isn't up to you unless your older cat is distressed to the point where she is not eating or hiding or refusing to use the box.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A young cat being a PITA to an older cat bothers the older cat exactly as much as it does. Meaning, maybe a lot, and maybe not much at all. I've seen a kitten jumping all over a three legged cat that just shrugged and tried, as best he could, to go about his business. And I've seen other older cats incredibly stressed by the mere presence of a younger cat. So even if the younger cat doesn't slow down or learn manners, it is still not certain the older cat will ever get super stressed. So jen jen is correct; you need to see how the older cat actually reacts and not assume there is/will be an issue requiring intervention. Put more simply, while it speaks very well of your care and concern for your cats, you are counting chickens before they hatch.